• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bob wrote:
    I'd like to pick up a genuine old cabinet.. but I'm guessing a lot of them aren't going to be in great nick anymore.

You are best buying a refurbed one unless you can do the work yourself. Its expensive but better do that than end with a really big paperweight. I bought mine refurbed with reconditioned monitor , reflowed PCB, new power supply etc. I did that because asteroids is a vector monitor game. You would be better getting a MAME cabinet if you aren't looking at playing vector games.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Smang wrote:
    Dragons Lair is indeed shit.

Only FMV game worth giving any time is Road Avenger imo.

You clearly have never played ground zero Texas!

I haven't, will check it out.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Questor
    Show networks
    Steam
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/questornz/

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Bob wrote:
    I'd like to pick up a genuine old cabinet.. but I'm guessing a lot of them aren't going to be in great nick anymore.
    You are best buying a refurbed one unless you can do the work yourself. Its expensive but better do that than end with a really big paperweight. I bought mine refurbed with reconditioned monitor , reflowed PCB, new power supply etc. I did that because asteroids is a vector monitor game. You would be better getting a MAME cabinet if you aren't looking at playing vector games.

And even then Davy IIRC you had issues at the start getting it to work properly?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I did. The power supply failed. They sent me a new one but I was stressed out at the time...

Swapped it out just my unplugging the old and plugging the new. The oldies are at least designed to be repaired.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    You can't watch Neighbours on it any more though.
    I know. Absolutely gutted.

I watched an episode of Dad's Army on one.

Smang wrote:
    Dragons Lair is indeed shit. Only FMV game worth giving any time is Road Avenger imo.
    You clearly have never played ground zero Texas!
    I haven't, will check it out.

It's hilariously, wonderfully bad. I played it all the time. (Directed by this guy.)

Has a big difficulty spike halfway through, though, whereas Road Avenger lets you get a bit further each play as your memorisation improves. ON THE ROAD
  • davyK wrote:
    You would be better getting a MAME cabinet if you aren't looking at playing vector games.

We’ve been having a little look at the Bitcade offerings as we’re (hopefully!) moving soon and might have the space to make it a bit of a feature in the space - they’re seemingly very customisable (including light guns!) but not sure if having all the games might make them less enjoyable as a result…

https://bitcade.co.uk/products/27-inch-upright-arcade-cabinet
  • Road avenger also has the best intro song
  • lastant wrote:

We’ve been having a little look at the Bitcade offerings as we’re (hopefully!) moving soon and might have the space to make it a bit of a feature in the space - they’re seemingly very customisable (including light guns!) but not sure if having all the games might make them less enjoyable as a result…

Damn they're charging 75 quid for 12 sanwa buttons
  • Ah, yes…meant to add that it’s almost certainly not as cheap as DIY-ing yourself, but you do (in theory) take out all the hassle and should receive a pretty simple plug-and-play machine.

Was surprised to read they use refurbished PCs though, must keep their costs down even lower.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Smang wrote:
    Road avenger also has the best intro song
    Escape wrote:
    ON THE ROAD

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    lastant wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    You would be better getting a MAME cabinet if you aren't looking at playing vector games.

Solid choice. At one point I was considering a JAMMA cab and collecting PCBs but some of those boards weren"t built to last and some are getting really expensive. Having a PC and modern screen are both swappable and its a great compromise. Nothing like a classic for looks but functionally superior.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Escape wrote:

That's excellent.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The only laserdisc game I ever saw that was sort of worth playing. This one even looked half decent to my 17yo cynic back then but it was too expensive to play. '83 - same year as Dragon's Lair.   Was good use of the tech within its limitations.

• That looks sick, puts tomcat alley to shame
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. It had a sit down cabinet too. Don't think it moved or anything but it looked great in the arcade.

There was a bomber run too - it played a bit differently - more of an overhead view. You selected which mission you wanted at the start.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Couldn't resist this. Ordered

?u=https%3A%2F%2Fm.media-amazon.com%2Fimages%2FI%2F71WeBWep2KS._SL1500_.jpg
  • I got one of those in blue.

Decent for some games, Castlevania springs to mind as it used the D-Pad for camera control.

Awful for others though, could not it on with Goldeneye using it.

Good pad overall though, well worth it as an alternative for certain games.

edit: I got a wired one for the original hardware.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This comes with a dongle for the n64 and a usb dongle for other uses. Reviews are good enough. Fzero , bangai o, waverace , pilotwings, m64 are my target games.
  • I have a fair few retro bit pads, all finely crafted
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have at least 4 original N64 pads. The one I got with the console in '97 still works flawlessly with no slack in the stick -  but I fancied trying this and the price is right.
  • davyK wrote:
    I have at least 4 original N64 pads. The one I got with the console in '97 still works flawlessly with no slack in the stick -  but I fancied trying this and the price is right.

Same here, always makes me wonder what the hell people do to pads to get in such bad condition.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Same here, always makes me wonder what the hell people do to pads to get in such bad condition.

It's party time.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:

Yikes. 25 years.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    It's party time.

All without soldering. Nice.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Xbox Live 1.0 is back, baby.

But no Halo 2... yet.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's a shame those old services die. I don't see why they can't be made open source with the games and console OS being built with legacy mode support (e.g. don't hardcode IP addresses or URIs for services).

Oldbox, Wii, Dreamcast etc. People have reverse engineered the server software (Dreamcast for example) by logging packets while its live - but why not just publish it? It can't be of much commercial value once it's kaput.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I guess it's hard to convince the bean counters that "of little value" means "of no value". I do wish more companies would do what Atari did with the Jaguar and just release the specs into the wild once something has been supplanted by the new hotness. But I think it'll remain rare.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I agree. Nintendo in particular would be very bristly about that.

Technically it would not be difficult to release the source code and leave legacy hooks in the console or just the games to use different servers.
  • I imagine it's a bit of a PR headache being anticipated as well.
    If something dodgy is happening it still has their brand and mascots all over it. Legally they would be ok but that doesn't stop a Mumsnet revolt.

I think something similar happened to Club Penguin. Disney closed it, someone hosted the code, kids unwittingly logged on and it was totally unregulated. Full of edgelords, griefers and nonces.
    Same as what happened to the Edge forum really, then this badger place appeared full of the worst degenerates.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!