Currently Playing
  • Started Sable yesterday after Bob's recommendation. Everything about it so far is nice, and that's in a good way. Had a relaxing couple of hours with it.
  • Dabbled with a couple today, both fine but I don't suppose I'll stick with either.

Curse of the Dead Gods. Despite the rock solid core it's too similar to a few other things I've played recently. I don't fancy working out the intricacies of the rogue element but the combat is good. One for another time maybe, although I expect Hades will always be a bigger draw.

Maneater. Pretty much what I was expecting really. The intro sequence was more fun than the shark action but I probably would've played a bit more of this a few years ago. Plenty more fish in the sea these days though.
  • Unlikely wrote:
    Started Sable yesterday after Bob's recommendation. Everything about it so far is nice, and that's in a good way. Had a relaxing couple of hours with it.

:)
    The Forum Herald™
  • E and I spent a couple of hours today tackling a couple of the challenges in the second area.  It's a great game to play with a wee one.  She was stoked to help figure out how to beat The Watch and The Wind Tower although we were defeated by the very highest point of The Wyrm.

It's basically Tomb-Raider lite without the combat, with a Destiny hoverbike for traveling between the "tombs".
  • I did think that it was ironic
    This forum
    Are always asking for an uncharted with no
    Combat someone makes one and everyone here is like nah mate shit demo
    The Forum Herald™
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Probably because it's absolutely fuck all like Uncharted
  • Probably because it's absolutely fuck all like Uncharted

Typical sparky
    The Forum Herald™
  • Unlikely wrote:
    E and I spent a couple of hours today tackling a couple of the challenges in the second area.  It's a great game to play with a wee one.  She was stoked to help figure out how to beat The Watch and The Wind Tower although we were defeated by the very highest point of The Wyrm.

It's basically Tomb-Raider lite without the combat, with a Destiny hoverbike for traveling between the "tombs".

Sold
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I enjoyed the demo, and have downloaded the main game, but I’ll probably stick with Kena before I play Sable.

This post annoys me.

Pointless
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    DrewMerson wrote:
    I enjoyed the demo, and have downloaded the main game, but I’ll probably stick with Kena before I play Sable.

This post annoys me.

Pointless

Which is ironic, given this post kinda annoys me.
  • Let’s not get bogged down in who annoys who.
    The Forum Herald™
  • Yeah that's not going to end well.  Sable does not annoy me or E and that's just fine.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    That was kinda the point I was trying to make. Oh well.
  • The Big Con- Series X.

90s cartoon styled, text heavy scamming game where you pick pocket and scam unsuspecting victims.

So far really enjoying it, really relaxd gameplay with some lovely retro tunes in it to boot. I wouldn't go as far as recommending it to anyone though as of yet as it feels pretty niche.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Sable runs like a dog on my laptop and glitched massively trying to enter the first dungeon. Will try again today.

Defo interested in thoughts on Kena @drewmerson. On my epic wishlist.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Word.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Started playing Tails of Iron, which is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with it. It's supposed to be slow and deliberate in its combat and movement - 2D Soulslike or whatever - but felt kind of stodgy to me. And I think I've had enough of parrying as a mechanic in these games.

I'm sure it would improve, but I've got more to be getting on with. Still need to get back to Chicory, Griftlands and Disco Elysium for starters. And I wouldn't mind a crack at Psychonauts 2 and Wildermyth and Sable at some point.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    In really enjoying it so far. I think I skipped through the combat tutorials a little too quickly, so I wasn’t a hundred percentage sure how certain mechanics worked, or when/why certain things would happen, but I’ve picked them up, and feel so have a better idea what I’m doing. Last night I got the bow and arrow ability, opening up more combat options, and introducing new environment traversal elements. My quibbles are minor. The walk is a little too slow, the run and sprint speeds not very different, and the jump between those animations a little sudden. It sometimes takes a few switches between map and environment to work out which way I should go. There’s a way of using the Rot where you directly control where they are on the ground with the right stick, while controlling Kena with the left stick, which feels a little awkward. The environment and the lore are great. The aesthetics are lovely. Combat feels good, with various things going on; you charge up your heavy attack, and release it at the right time to interrupt the attacks of small and medium sized enemies. The block/parry has your usual risk/reward, and you can utilise the rot in various ways; do you want to use them to stun an enemy and get some attacks in, or save them for unlocking one of the health flowers in the arena? In larger fights, you’re working between picking off small/medium enemies, and chipping away at the health of a larger enemy at appropriate points in their pattern. If you’re getting it on PC, there’s a Digital Foundry video which includes recommended settings.

Though it doesn’t sound like I’m as far on as you, I’d say these points mirror my own feelings.  It might sound a little nitpicky but there really needed to be a few extra frames of animation between walking and running, it gives the impression of a lack of budget/experience.  I’m also finding the camera (or whatever we want to call it) slightly sticky when i need to rotate it - which i think feeds back into Andy’s point about the control of the rot (stupid name) feeling off. 
    It is however a stupendously glorious looking place to be, being genuinely beautiful at times and, although the game feels very familiar, and at times slightly inconsequential, there’s just about enough good here to warrant a play through.
  • JonB wrote:
    Started playing Tails of Iron, which is supposed to be good, but I'm not sure I can be bothered with it. It's supposed to be slow and deliberate in its combat and movement - 2D Soulslike or whatever - but felt kind of stodgy to me. And I think I've had enough of parrying as a mechanic in these games. I'm sure it would improve, but I've got more to be getting on with.

I can't decide if I like the visuals or not, it's doing a sort of Valiant Hearts/Fury Unleashed/Wulverblade thing by the looks of it.  It's one I've been considering anyway, 50% off it is.
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    Just wanted to highlight that the game has my support, even if I’m not talking about playing it. But, I suppose, if it’s not a post declaring something the best thing ever, or so bad that everyone involved should die in a fire, it’s not worth anyone’s time reading it, is it?

Sorry I should clarify that I was annoyed at the fact you spent time italicising the words Sable and Kena and it wound me up.
  • 243287437_10227231483431965_5777669015769391809_n.jpg?_nc_cat=101&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=730e14&_nc_ohc=bumg28EUJ6QAX_xb_P4&_nc_ht=scontent.fiom2-1.fna&oh=856658e1045d8139ca13974153a03b03&oe=61571C1C

Still debating the Sable thread but in the meantime it continues to delight.. just done this huge temple or tomb if you will that involved lots of switches, light puzzling and platforming all around a giant statue.. it's giving me a huge Uncharted but with out the guns but better than that sounds.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I tried Sable last night, not sure it's a keeper for me but will give it another go. as mentioned by others, the jerky running animations are quite annoying, especially when other animations are super smooth. i think the very first moment you see the protagonist it looks like the game glitches the way they flicker into view. also whilst the art style is obvs part of the appeal, it's also a bit messy and unclear at times i thought, and the flatness makes it hard to judge surfaces and angles. camera seemed a bit clunky at times too.
    aesthetics aside, it just seemed a bit 'meh' so far. a few basic fetch quests and wandering about, some wishy washy stuff about your journey, but nothing really exciting or interesting seems to be happening to draw you in.

edit: i wrote that before Bob's post, just got sidetracked before clicking the button!
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I love the running animation. Camera can be a bit janky. Love the little conversations between the characters though and you're choices... it's very engaging. Anyway I think i've pretty much finished the tutorial bits and I'll be away into the main game.
    The Forum Herald™
  • I tried Sable. It looks amazing. The gameplay is fine. I can't be bothered to read that much text in a game, i'd rather read a book. Lol. My tastes have changed so much since the days of loving Final Fantasy. I guess i like games which tell a story through action and the journey and the... i don't know.. experience.
  • Bob wrote:
    I love the running animation. Camera can be a bit janky. Love the little conversations between the characters though and you're choices... it's very engaging. Anyway I think i've pretty much finished the tutorial bits and I'll be away into the main game.

Yeah, based on the screenshot above you've effectively completed the first area.  If you enjoyed that "tomb" then The Watch in the next area should be fun.

EDIT:  The camera and graphics can be flaky as hell at times though.  Pop-up on Series X with graphics this simple should not be a thing, and the frame rate frequently stutters when you're on your bike.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!