Darkest Dungeon: It CAN be felled, it CAN be beaten!
  • Moot - are you playing on the switch?
    Opened it up my save on the switch the other day and all my squad were fucked one way or another and couldn’t be arsed.
    Might try a new save tonight
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Vita.  The Switch is great but it's a whopper, I much prefer something smaller for out & about gaming.
  • The return party to default position button is the square arrows icon
  • I have played this on pc, switch, vita and iPad
    The vita controls were terrible when they were using the back face zones for actions (always miss touched) but a latter version allowed this to be turned off and found it to be quite intuitive after that

• The back panels still change the order of things from time to time, I'll turn that off now I know you can.  The Vita's a lovely piece of kit, but I haven't played anything on it that justifies that terrible design decision.
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    On Switch, a hold of the A button will set everyone back to the original party order. Not sure if that also works on Vita?
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • Subbax wrote:
    On Switch, a hold of the A button will set everyone back to the original party order. Not sure if that also works on Vita?

How did I not know that?!?

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    The back panels still change the order of things from time to time, I'll turn that off now I know you can.  The Vita's a lovely piece of kit, but I haven't played anything on it that justifies that terrible design decision.
    Yeah I love vita but the black panels are fucking pish

• Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    Darkest Dungeon currently available on iPad for 99p.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • My struggles with the UI continue.  I spent 20 minutes trying to work out how to dismiss a character on the way home, with no success, then forgot to check how to do it when I got in an had the same problem on the train this morning so I had a snooze instead.  Who would've thought catching a glimpse of the name 'Dismas' would find a way to be annoying?  I didn't want to spend on extra slots for my party a second time, not yet anyway, and I didn't want to miss the replacement Jester.  

I know how to do it now, I think.  I'm sure I looked there though.
  • It should be just under their names.

Also you're wrong, you do want the extra slots. Trust me.
  • This early though?  I'm up to lv.2 for just shy of half my party.  I suppose the extra slots could be used for suicide squads while I cure my top boys.  I'd have heirlooms/whatever the currency is left over, but I tend to be miserly in things like this.  

Quick question about the trinkets:  Should I be assigning these to party members, or does it happen automatically?  I bought a rare charm for Dismas, but I've acquired plenty more and I'm not sure if I'm getting the boosts from them or not.
  • No manual process for trinkets - careful as some of them have negative impacts as well (e.g. reduced speed)

• Assign them to your guys, they aren't auto. I'm personally against buying them unless they're great as they're obscenely expensive early on, and if you've only got one highwayman and you lose him then you're fucked until the game gives you another. Week 57 and I've never bought a charm. Sold plenty though. If it can go to multiple people then that's fine, but remember if someone dies holding a trinket you need to make room for it. I really don't think they're that great until much later on though.

Wouldn't worry about curing anything but stress and diseases until later on, money is always sparse. Priority upgrades are (IMO) Caravan pool x2, roster size x2, recruit level upgrade, blacksmith and guild to match your characters if you can, first tier stress release in both locations x2, disease healing x2.

Your biggest and best resource is recruits. You can sort your roster by class and I recommend doing it every so often to make sure you have two of everything apart from abominations. After certain levels, your characters won't go on lower missions, so you need an expansive pool because there is nothing worse than having to take a poorly thought out party into a dungeon because everyone else is fucked/conceited.

Also when you're recruiting, check what skills they have - sometimes they have all of them, but occasionally they just come with 4. It's worth considering the cost of unlocking skills to make them useful in various places.
  • In hindsight it was foolish of me to expect an auto-assign thing.
  • To make things worse the obscenely expensive highwayman trinket I bought Dismas was already in my kitbag, so I have one highwayman and two perks.  I'm learning on the go. 

Cheers for the upgrades advice.  Haven't got a clue what camping is at this stage, yet I've already upgraded it once.
  • Camping is something you can do during medium and long missions to heal recover stress/prepare your guys for fights to come. Best skills are those that prevent ambushes, those that recover a lot of stress, and those that remove disease, such as the gravedigger's snuff box. Stuff like Clean Guns is great on the highway man if you rest before bosses etc.

I don't mean to be prescriptive by the way, it's just a mysterious obfuscating game in a lot of ways and I'm paraphrasing the advice that's repeated online a lot. Feel free to play your own way of course, but I'd advise towards playing conservatively than experimenting too much.
  • I'm much more comfortable loosely following advice than plotting my own course.  Even buffs and debuffs are new to me, and they're presumably fairly standard for RPGs.
  • Basically read everything. I think I broke down skills a page or two back, but stuff can catch you out. The Hellion's "Break Through" skill looks wild because it hits three people, but it also confers a minus to dodge and damage to the Hellion, so it's a dismal opener unless you've been shuffled and need her to move forward and attack as it's the only skill she has that lets her change rank. There's far too much to take in and it's still all jumbled to me, but keeping an eye on how skills affect damage and accuracy is important at least. Consider avoiding moves with lower than 100 base accuracy if you need a confirmed kill.

Also i've said it once but i'll say it again: focus those back two row stress dealers! You'll get used to who they are in each setting, but they're brutal. Those little chalice wielding skeleton shits are nearly as brutal as hulking wights you fight. Stress damage spreads like wildfire.

Always make sure your team can hit evey position. If you're in the ruins or the cove, Plague Doctors with the double blight/corpse eliminating shuffle stun are the best thing in the world.
  • Just sent a party of new recruits +1 stalwart out on my lunch break while I wait for a couple of regulars to recover for the necromancer push.  Two dead, tail between my legs.  Serves me right for not taking a healer.
  • Healers are handy but not always necessary, what party were you running?
  • *Shuffles feet*

Two jesters (was trying to get them up to speed after my go-to guy died), a man-at-arms and a leper.  Only had a 30min lunch, was supposed to be a smash and grab and I embarked with an actual 'fuck it'.  Whoops.
  • Swap that Leper out for a Nun, I'm telling you.
  • Haha, well that's a not an awful squad - unless it's a Ruins run, because skellingtons have massive bleed resistance. Man-at-arms/Leper combo is pretty good but I don't think Jesters do well in the back rows unless you just spam their song then chuck in a rush forward/finale
  • I still have a level 1 nun.  Will get her involved.
  • Seriously it's a piece of piss, or was anyway. The Jesters manage stress and throw out death-from-aboves every so often, the old guy buffs and repels, the healer heals.
    I heard a pair of Jesters and a pair of Abom is even more OP but never checked it out.
  • Any good suggestions of teams?
    I am to reliant on the usual suspects

• I just made one ffs.
  • Chill your pants

• Depends on yr area but Brooks' team appears solid although I never have much luck with it myself.

I don't really have fixed teams but I try to get some synergy in at least. Occultist is good with Highwayman and Bounty Hunter because he can affix a mark and also heal/do backrow damage. Hellion is a must for Weald/Warrens and she should always be front row with Iron Swan. Double Plague Doctor wrecks the Ruins and Cove, but consider swapping out one for an Occultist in the Cove if you are worried about healing (abyssal artillery does extra damage to a lot of cove enemies too).

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!