Movie Record 2022 Edition
  • Yeah one if my faves is The Big Short.
  • 4.Resident Evil
    I don’t think I was supposed to enjoy that as much as I did. That was awesome. So much of the game packed into it, even fitting in characters like Lisa Trevor. Now that was a Resi film. Aces, truly enjoyed that. 8/10.
  • If you like watching Big Short the other guys is a subtle prequel! It’s so good with it’s B plot!
  • Hadn't heard of Margin Call or The Conspiracy. Will definitely check them both out. I think my viewing list this year will just be watching DS list after he posts
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    5. Mute - strange b-tier cyberpunk movie that was honestly all over the place. I stuck it out to see what happened and I started it cos I’m a Paul Rudd fan. He’s obviously wanting to play against type here and was probably enjoying it but it wasn’t really good. [4].
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Margin Call is superb.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Yeah, everybody who watches The Big Short should follow up by watching Margin Call.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The performances are equally great. It's annoying that Kevin Spacey is what he is. We are denied more great performances from him.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    4. The Big Short - I had so many emotions watching this film, it’s funny, clever, emotional and, ultimately, depressing as hell. But it is so so good. A compelling view of the banking crash in 2008 and what leads up to it. I’d like to pick a great performance, but they are all amazing, not a single bad actor amongst the whole cast. I didn’t realise until the end that it was directed by Adam McKay (Don’t Look Up) but that style is clear here. One of my favourite parts of the film was the breaking the fourth wall moments, that cleverly showed a dramatic scene then followed it up with a “that didn’t actually happen”. Brilliant, compelling and sad [9]

This. 

Saw it on Netflix the other night, never seen it... loved it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    10. John and the Hole (2021)

Rich family and spoiled kid. Kid discovers an abandoned bunker site in the woods out back. Drugs his family and dumps them in the hole left there.

Written by Giacobone, who wrote Birdman. Study of a 13yo boy dealing with themes of puberty, loneliness, anger, confusion. Goes to lengths to portray the child as not having, but also having sociopathic tendencies. Clear that due to having all he wants he's been left with a 'hole' (aahh metaphors) where emotion and understanding would be. Also slightly touches on rich white privilege with particular scenes (the boy drives his father's car around the neighbourhood with no consequence etc)

Juxtaposed with intermittent scenes of a mother telling her child the story of 'John and the Hole', which have a deeper meaning I won't spoil here.

Beautifully shot in 4:3 giving family scenes a claustrophobic feel. Dexter is the dad and he is great. Kid is wonderfully hateful. Really liked the ending. Solid all round.

[7]
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    2. Encounter.

A man who hasn’t seen his boys in two years shows up at their house in the middle of the night to take them on a road trip. To say anymore than that would be to ruin the story. I thought it was brilliant. Great direction, the child actors are excellent, and Riz Ahmed is dependably superb. Oh, and a great score too.
    Get schwifty.
  • Is that the one about aliens too?
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    That’s the one…
    Get schwifty.
  • 1. Gangs of New York
    For a movie about foightin' the fight scenes are rarely great. However Daniel Day-Lewis is extremely watchable, not to mention imitatable (I've definitely not being walking around the flat shouting "THIS MAN HAS NO HEAAAART").
    [6]

2. Scream 4
    enjoyable relatively by numbers romp that deliberately or otherwise cant differentiate itself enough from the superb original to ever really justify itself.
    [7]

3. GHOSTBUSTERS: Afterlife
    A hard one to score, it could have been a comfortable 7 but they over egged the pudding.
    [4]

Its better than that rancid pile of shit that was the last Ghostbusters.

4. The Big Short
    Again. Love it.
    [10]

5. The Rock
    Just the right amount of Bay. Dumb as a bag of rocks but fun all the same.
    For added fun pretend its a Bond sequel.
    [7]

6. The Eternals
    Well it is done and to quote a line from the movie "at last my boredom is ending"...

Doesn't even have the decency to be funny bad though.
    [2]

7. The House
    Of the 3 shorts the first stood out
    Scores for the three in order [9] [7] [6]. Points include the artistry which is high throughout.

Overall [8]. The first doing the heavy lifting there. I'll watch the first again but likely not the others.

8. Scary Movie
    Some jokes fall flat and some definitely wouldn't fly now. For the most part though is still found it pretty funny.
    Stoner humour is something I have mostly grown out of but Shorty is so ott with it he stills gets me.
    [7]

9. We need to talk about Kevin
    Christ, that was depressing.
    [6]

10. Face Off
    Peach, I could eat a peach for hoourrrs
    [9]

11. Texas Chainsaw Massacre (2022)Competent enough slasher but nothing you wont have seen 100 times before.
    Didnt really grasp what was so good about the original.
    Middle of the road score for a middle of the road movie.[5]

12. Schindler's List
    Not alot to say that won't have been said before. One of the best movies ever made. Soul destroying and harrowing.

13. The Terror
    Pre Easy Rider Nicholson in fairly standard for the era, churned out horror.

14. Three Billboards...
    Yeah good stuff. Rockwell is always highly watchable. Harrelson's letter cut me up a bit.

15. Equilibrium
    Post Matrix slightly naff dystopian Sci Fi starring Brian Conley.

16. Nightcrawler
    I'm not sure love letter is the right phrase but this is a wonderful comment on the slimey, dirty side of LA night time and the media American news cycle. I love the cinematography in it. JG plays the part perfectly, super creep.

17. Wall Street
    Greed is good and so is this movie.
    Forgot about some stars that appear including James Spader and Terrance Stamp.
    Top 80s stuff.
    [8]

18. Predator 2
    Somehow never saw the start of this before. Its OK. Very much an 18 rated movie which felt surprisingly different compared to modern movies.
    Probably the best Predator sequel but a long way off the first.
    [6]

19. Nightmare Alley
    Beautiful sets and costumes shot just as lovingly in the film Noir style. Great cast who do a decent job.
    The plot feels a bit wayward at times but for the most it spins a good yarn. While tropey it does offer up something not typical of movies at the moment so that was welcome.
    A lower end [8]

20. Alita Battle Angel
    Absolute shite. 2 hours of audio and visual noise. Its ugly as sin with zero depth.
    [1]
  • I liked Gangs of NY when it came out, despite it being overlong. I remember it being panned by critics and sinking at the box office … but it was actually quite fun.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I saw it at the cinema when it came out. It was terrible then and I imagine it's worse now.
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    DDL is the only thing that makes it watchable. The rest is trash.
  • I imagine its quite painful for any Irish viewer. The accents seemed weak even to my ears.

THIS MEAT NEEDS TENDERISING
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It was the beginning of the end for Scorsese.
  • 2. Trouble Every Day
    Quieter than I was expecting but also as French as I was expecting. Didn't really engage with it though and I'm not sure what points were trying to be made.
    [4]

3. Human Centipede 2
    Stupid brain tickle made me eventually watch it. I knew what it would be and that is the same as any of these sorts of movies which is completely lacking in any sort of merit or worth. Sure it makes you go 'ew gross' but to actually have any real impact there needs to be character and story and stakes. Instead it's just a poorly made nothing where you don't even remember the stuff it wants you to remember.
    [0]

4. Ghostbusters: Afterlife
    Meant as a palette cleanser this made me wonder if the filmmakers have heard of pacing or flow. Because there is no point at which this is exciting or intriguing. It's just a flat-line nostalgia sludge with nothing new to show you. 1 point for Paul Rudd and 1 point for the main girl, she was good.
    [2]

Not a great day for film watching....
    I should have just wathced the films DS watched.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    It should have been a musical.

Edit: GoNY, not human centipede.
  • I dunno, that would have made it interesting at least
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I imagine its quite painful for any Irish viewer.

I remember it being painful for my ass at the time. Is about 3 days long, and this was before the days of the comfy cinema seats you young uns get nowadays.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • I dunno, that would have made it interesting at least
    I cant stand mumbled singing though.

• Here's an idea...

Gangs of New York, everyone but Daniel Day Lewis is played by Muppets
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Here's an idea...

Gonz of New York

FTFY.
  • Winner
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The Areolas v The Foreskins has a ring to it
  • Gonz with the Wind
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Coming soon: The Gonzfather

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!