The British Politics Thread
  • They're so screwed. He's even managed to fuck the anointed successor. Unless Sunak can explain why he never noticed any garden parties, ongoing over the course of a year, going late into the evening, from the garden that his flat overlooks. Or taking place in the building he works from. He never heard them being discussed, or any rumours. Shown up as a sneaky, self-interested prick before he's even begun. Every senior figure is a provable liar that won't be able to blame everything on Johnson. As they've all now willingly implicated themselves in his mess. Their only hope is if some unknown backbencher ends up coming from nowhere and wins the leadership.
  • If I could make that Vince McMahon entrance gif, but with Farages face, I would.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Their answers seem to be "I wasn't there" "I didnt know it was happening".
    Ok, then you are incompetent boobs who have no control over your staff.

But of course Boris Johnson would be finally brought down by breaking rules so he can get pissed. This should have been entirely predictable the second he got a sniff of No.10.
    This whole affair reeks of him.

If this was happening under May I would genuinely believe she didnt know, I strongly suspect it wouldnt have been though. (not that some other shit wouldnt be happening under May, probably measuring noses to see how infectious you are)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Leadership sets the example and creates the culture of an organisation. If Boris had been firm and down the line from the start then no way would other staff think that having parties was acceptable. So even if he genuinely didn't know (which I don't believe for one minute) he's still at fault.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    You cannot simultaneously take credit for "levelling up" and "getting Brexit done" and not be responsible for what goes on in your own house.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I think you nailed the core point there Davy. Johnson loves taking credit but hates taking responsibility. Just like most shit bosses.
  • He's once again taking the piss out of the queen, firstly the proroguing of parliament and now this party nonsense. I can imagine a lot of the 'Union Jack in their twitter profile' crowd are going to struggle defending him now. 
    They tried with the #scummedia yesterday with a well known Tory defender saying the rules were different (until it was pointed out he was referring to the wrong rules)  but I think everyone is realising this is more indefensible the more that is found out. 

Starmer needs to call out the fact that the 'independent investigation' won't be independent at all and have that on the record, to stop Johnson from trying to use that at his get out of resignation card. 

He won't resign. He's got zero shame whatsoever, and if it causes damage to the Tories then brilliant.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • "When your enemy is making a mistake, don't interrupt him"
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • The most creative angle so far has been Rees Mogg's "the restrictions were too tough".
    So under that these parties were only technically wrong and of course they were just following the SAGE advice in locking down, its not their fault. Play to the libertarian support.

Thankfully it had all the legs of a daschund.
  • I've read that somewhere
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    That's some fucking excuse!
  • Ironically, Mogg keeps the legs of a daschund in his suit pocket for good luck.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Gremill wrote:
    Ironically, Mogg keeps the legs of a daschund in his suit pocket for good luck.
    hahaha
  • DrewMerson wrote:
    I kind of hate the way WiFi has become interchangeable with internet now.
    It's not beyond the realm of possibility that she doesn't know about mobile data, and thinks you need a WiFi connection to access the internet.
    “The stuff about me being lounging around in their DMs all day is just nonsense. The stuff about me surfing the web — nonsense. The 3G was actually closed, it was a dead signal.”

SFV - reddave360
  • "When your enemy is making a mistake, don't interrupt him"

This.

There is a Yougov out putting his net popularity nearly as low as Corbyn's lowest (-55% JC vs -53% BJ). Lower than May's record (-49%), nobody liked May, ever.
    Its a huge crash from Johnson's post election height of over +20%.

Let the cunt dig his own grave. The public can well see what is going on.

edit: those May and Corbyn lows hit about the same time btw. June 2019. Im guessing it was a Brexit extension. Feels like 100 years ago now.
  • As low as he gets, I’m sure a general election tomorrow would still see a Conservative majority.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    A general election in a year or two, maybe, but tomorrow? Do you really think that Tory voters would turn out tomorrow?
  • Come now just this morning I was being accused of being a pissy-pants party pooper. You really believe this lot would get a majority tomorrow? The cynicism is strong in this one
  • Part of me is genuinely excited about the prospect of Liz Truss heading up an election campaign.
    Just picture her on one them TV debates.

Maybe she will no show and channel 4 can replace her with pork products.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    You really believe this lot would get a majority tomorrow?
    I have very little faith in the English demos. Sorry.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Part of me is genuinely excited about the prospect of Liz Truss heading up an election campaign. Just picture her on one them TV debates. Maybe she will no show and channel 4 can replace her with pork products.
    They'd import some cheese.
  • Rishi would be on the ticket and he'd win it, if it was tomorrow I reckon. Not enough time for the impact of his financials over the last couple of years to have been felt, he's 'dishy'...
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • He has the highest net popularity and people know who he is.
    What you have to remember though is the new leader gets selected by the party members and they are insane.

Sunak wants taxes up. That will put off many members straight away.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Rishi would be on the ticket and he'd win it, if it was tomorrow I reckon.

How would Johnson be deposed and Sunak installed as leader in less than 24 hours?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Not that this isn’t all a bit silly anyway, but yes, if there were an election tomorrow, Johnson would still be in charge.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    What you have to remember though is the new leader gets selected by the party members and they are insane.
    Most of the party only care about keeping their own seat/job. They’ll put Sunak in charge if they think it will help do that.
  • HOLD UP, HOLD UP, HOLD THE FUCK UP!

Gary Neville has joined the Labour party.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Rishi would be on the ticket and he'd win it, if it was tomorrow I reckon.

How would Johnson be deposed and Sunak installed as leader in less than 24 hours?

Nah I meant if there was an election tomorrow, and Sunak was on the ticket vs Starmer, Sunak would win
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!