Documentaries Thread
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rich Hill follows 3 families struggling with poverty in small town America. As depressing as it is on the surface the heart is lifted by the spirit of the kids. They aren't stupid, evidenced by their humour and their command of language but how they maintain hopes and dreams in their environment without a plan from hapless parents is beyond me.

Aileen:Life and Death of a serial killer plots the final months of the life of serial killer Aileen Wournos who killed 7 men while hitchhiking and prostituting herself. What set her on this path seems very much pre-ordained by a childhood and a single event - the first killing - which may well have been self defence but triggered what followed. A tragic story and further evidence if it is needed that executions are a barbaric and senseless exercise.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Dead Man's Line

Extraordinary story of a kidnapping - this doc tells the tale which was extensively covered at the time (1977) on TV and radio. You see footage of this guy walking down the street with another guy - a shotgun wired to his neck with a dead man's trigger rigged up.

Never heard of this tale. The old 70s footage is interspersed with interviews of people involved at the time. An early example of how media can get involved in a story as it develops and can, if things go wrong, change what is happening.

On Prime at the minute.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn't realise how close Windscale was to a Brit Chernobyl. Underlying reasons purely political so maybe it's best the pricks we have in charge now have no influence over tech like this.

Lip synch out on this but worth a watch. I also didn't realise the UK had the first operational nuclear power station (Calder Hall  - built next door to Windscale). It was built to make weapons grade material for nuclear weapons but it did feed the grid too.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shoah:The Four Sisters is a followup to Claude Lanzmann's famous documentary Shoah.

It consists of 4 interviews with women, recorded as part of the making of Shoah. Lanzmann couldn't fit them into the style of Shoah and thought each deserved a film on their own. These 4 interviews make up this 4 hour documentary and it is extremely heavy going. No matter what one hears what happened in Holocaust, there are always new horrors to learn of. Four very resilient but shattered women tell their survival tales.

I watched it over 4 nights. I think one has to respect the material and take it in over a longer period. This had a brief run in a cinema in New York when it was released in January 2018. It must have been quite an ordeal to sit through it in one sitting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Shouldn't have watched it but did. Jimmy Saville : A British Horror Story

I don't think there is anything more annoying than looking at that cunt's face in the footage of this. They should have dug the bastard up and hung him.

Selina Scott features. Haven't seen her on TV in years. She sits and cringes at her interviews with him.

(OT - she still looks amazing).
  • I watched part one of this last night.

Just horrifying
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It gets worse.
  • Aye the second part is particularly hard to watch at times.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What is really galling is looking back at the Jim'll Fix it show. It really was a great show and such a simple and inspired idea.  It is damned now and can never be recreated which is a shame.
  • I watched it a few days ago, with some trepidation and questioning why I was doing so. Like many here, I used to watch Jim'll Fix It as an innocent child. By fuck that guy was an absolute monster. The victim testimony in the second part was utterly devastating.

Absolutely revolting that he died thinking he'd done so with a Knighthood and the adulation of a nation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I take a tiny amount of solace in that he was a committed Catholic and so believed he had to face God. It seems his charity work was an attempt to redress the balance but who knows what was going on in that twisted head.  It may just have been a means to gain access.

The real anger comes from the sense of him escaping justice or at least knowing the shame of being found out before he died.
  • So I'll admit to writing into Jim'll Fix It.  Thank god I picked something that would have made terrible television.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I take a tiny amount of solace in that he was a committed Catholic and so believed he had to face God. It seems his charity work was an attempt to redress the balance but who knows what was going on in that twisted head.  It may just have been a means to gain access.

The real anger comes from the sense of him escaping justice or at least knowing the shame of being found out before he died.

He only has to ask for forgiveness
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I take a tiny amount of solace in that he was a committed Catholic and so believed he had to face God. It seems his charity work was an attempt to redress the balance but who knows what was going on in that twisted head.  It may just have been a means to gain access. The real anger comes from the sense of him escaping justice or at least knowing the shame of being found out before he died.
    He only has to ask for forgiveness

Supposedly so.  Western religions make no sense (that is - if you are going to believe in a God). I'm agnostic but recently learning about Eastern religions has picqued my interest. In that belief system God is doing evil to himself as he is playing the role of everyone and everything in the Universe. I can see why belief in that can lead to inner peace.

Not believing in God gives no solace either because then he's in sweet oblivion with no consequences at all. Even if he was caught it's only a blip of punishment in an eternity of nothing. Fuck him.  The idea of an eternal Hell doesn't really float with me either.

It's only in the face of true evil that I start thinking about things like that. Nihlism is tempting. I especially felt that way after my Father died. Asked myself what was the point of being good or bad (he was a very good man by the way).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Netflix's 2 -episode Re-examination of John Wayne Gacy including never heard before recordings of his discussions with his defence team. Police , when they are good police, don't earn enough money.

This isn't easy viewing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    iPlayer has a Falklands doc at the minute - a handful of personal stories of guys on the ground. Our Falklands : A Frontline story.  Compelling, sobering, angering, stunning, horrifying, heartbreaking.  Required viewing I'd say.

If the vermin we have in government sent men somewhere to die, I'd back soldiers if they told them to fuck off.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Excellent interview with an ancient, ailing Gorbachov that's currently on iPlayer. 

Storyville  Gorbachov.Heaven

It shows the old rascal in full curmudgeon mode. He looks clapped out but his face comes to life with the right questions. By turns grumpy, evasive, funny, reflective, kind and enigmatic - quoting poems and singing songs.

Living in comfort in a state sponsored house living off his lecture tour income (most of which he gave to grandaughters), he speaks with a Russian interviewer and later with the cast of a play that is being written about him.

Like anything that visits a time when the character is looking back on past glory it has that sad air to it, but this is a man who seems to have little regrets - mainly because he didn't weld the power to kill that he had. He believed in the USSR but wouldn't bring down the hatchet on people in order to keep it together.

For someone of my age (I was 24 when the Berlin Wall fell down) this is a fascinating piece about a man who was the centre of global change in a formative time of my life.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    He was also unfortunately the catalyst for the Russian nationalists like Putin and Dugin.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeltsin was part of that problem too.

Chernobyl and the general economic situation (not helped by the Afghan invasion) played their part in the USSR collapse too.

It"s an interesting period. Has prompted me to look at what books exist that cover it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Another gem on iPlayer. Another Storyville.

The tale of George Blake. Double Agent who escaped from Wormwood Scrubs and got to Russia.

Genuine international tale - Holland, Egypt, Korea, Lebanon,..... working for MI6 - leaking info like a tap to the KGB.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There is an absolutely superb 4 part documentary about the 3 mile island nuclear accident on Netflix.

I thought I knew the story but this was 30mins away from being a Chernobyl. And the cleanup could have produced an event at least as bad. This could be made into a film and you would find it thrilling.  If Chernobyl interested you then check this out.  The recreation segments are done to a really high quality. Chilling viewing.
  • What's it called?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Meltdown : Three Mile Island.

https://www.netflix.com/gb/title/81198239
  • The love box in your living room.
    on iplayer its real good.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Watching Trauma Zone on iPlayer at the minute. Couple of hours to go.

It's worth watching just for the sheer spectacle. That part of the world is truly beautiful in its desolate wildernesses. But to see the bold and bizarre happenings in that part of the world (tanks firing on the parliament in Moscow at the behest of a pre-vodka-soaked-era Yeltsin) at the time is fascinating - I can't take my eyes off it.  The story is entirely told with footage with brief captions and some short snatches of newsreel interviews. It's superbly done.

The people are simply magnificent. They deserve so much more than what they get from their leadership.

But. It's also a lesson in the effects of corruption - and it's not a huge leap to equate the siphoning of public assets and money of 90s Russia with the behaviour we see today with the weasel gang we have in charge. There was a jolting echo with today when a caption appeared over footage of a time of enormous inflation that people could not afford food and heating.

It's on a different scale but it was a jolt.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    Only watched the first two, but yeah, fascinating, grim and a bit depressing. Certainly not just for the in-laws.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.
  • Can't beat a bit of Curtis to make you feel like a completely inconsequential bundle of atoms amounting to nothing because everything is shit and grey and we all die alone.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!