The Star Wars thread - "Chewie, we're home."
  • My viewpoint is simple. The Mandalorian was obviously made for me and for those who were big fans of The Clone Wars, it pushed a lot of happy joy buttons and baby yoda was a stroke of marketing genius that everyone could get behind. People liked it loads and for me it was more Rogue One that Original Trilogy. My kids weren't too fussed about Mando at all but they're aware of who is is because of Fornite and also baby yoda. Mando was a bad ass and also hit on a lot of parent protection buttons for me. 

Bookybobby was a mess of a show. It would have worked better as a comedy than a serious piece of work and it was all down to trying to suckle on the nostaglia boob with a character who didn't really need his own show. It was trying to follow in the shoes of Mando but realising it was following in the shoes of Mando so stopped making Boaby a badd ass. I would have preferred a Mafia type series than a kick ass one, but iti is what it is really.

Kenobi for me is made for the Phantom Menace and Clone wars crowd, who are sitting down with their kids and showing them how wonderful Star wars is. this is why we are getting ROTS / AOTC call backs as well as something for the kids to get behind. Cynically , you could also argue that they are trying for another Baby Yoda angle, but as  I've said before this sits nicely with the 9 years olds in my house. Also, we're literally getting bad ass Vader for the first time since Rogue One, and I'm here for it. I've enjoyed what I've seen 

I'm looking forward to Andor, as I like the spy /espionage type angle and I don't think it's been overdone in the franchise so far.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Im....looking forward to Andor too lol. I want to see if it shows him being so ruthless in the show like he was in R1. Im hoping its a little adult in theme.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I wasn't expecting much from Madalorian and I really rather enjoyed it. It felt like a real Star Wars product. There were some filler episodes that didn't really move the story on but I found them watchable. The last episode made me feel like a teenager again. But I don't think it would hold up to a rewatch.

I skipped Boba Fett, especially once I heard the reviews. Boba Fett was all about not knowing his background and he seemed to have been downgraded from the resourceful character in the films.

I expected a great deal from Kenobi, especially with McGregor coming back. It's OK but I'm disappointed and I don't even know if I will watch the rest (probably will once all episodes are available to get it over and done with).

As a result I am finished with Star Wars. I will always enjoy the original 3 films. And I tolerate the prequels since they fit the story arc. I treat them as pretty but slightly naff yet enjoyable because of their highlights.

Rogue-1 is OK.

The rest is dispensible fodder for kids. Nothing wrong with that but I'm out.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • No-one’s ever really gone…
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

• Somehow Davy returned.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • The last episode was brilliant. My son is going to flip his shit when he watches it later.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • I will be watching this tonight.
  • Ive only seen the first half, but already I was shouting "Ooooohhhhh Yeaaaah" and fist pumping!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm back.
  • Definitely the best episode of the series.
    Spoiler:
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Yep gotta agree, the final episode was resplendent. Great action scene, simple story, no stupidity, must have had a writers strike and they got agency staff in.
  • Fuck me. I loved that last episode. Nearly had something in my eye at one point .
    A series of that I'd be all in for
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Well then.

You know - there's a pretty good Star Wars film in amongst that lot.
  • I thought it was a mixed bag tbh. The Vader v Kenobi fight was pretty grand, though I didn't care for the buried under rocks nonsense. That point would have been the time to have the Qui Gon cameo imo. Wasted opportunity.
    The rest of it I thought was largely trash. Absolutely abysmal writing, shoddy direction, and some terrible lighting. Kenobi's cave set wouldn't have looked out of place in OG Star Trek.

So really, for me it ended no better than the rest of the series. A really good cast, utterly let down by a bewilderingly fourth rate production.
  • Every time we see Vader in his castle surrounded by lava and volcanoes, I can't help but think, "I wonder where he goes out to for the rolls and the milk every morning?"
  • “Hello there.”
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Still a bad show/episode, but there was one good moment at the end of the duel.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    “Hello there.”
    Would have been better if he’d said it to Vader pre-duel. :D

• Then Vader replied "This is where the fun begins."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Vader
    Spoiler:
    was good in ep.5

However
    Spoiler:
    is a bit annoying.

I still think there's an enjoyable 2hr film in there somewhere. Not just with cutting - it would need a bit more than that. But I'd rather they did that than create these series.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    davy it’s so obvious:
    Spoiler:

Anyway loved the last episode.
    Things can only get better.
  • Watched it again. Liked it more on the second viewing.
  • Some of you of a sensitive disposition may want to skip the below spoiler because it contains moaning and spoilers for the finale!!!
    Spoiler:
  • Agree with most of that regarding the chase shit. Absolute nonsense.
    My biggest annoyance was Kenobi in his ship, somewhere in the galaxy, light years from Tatooine, sensing that Luke is in danger, hitting his convenient hyperdrive button, travelling to Tatooine, and arriving as if absolutely no time had passed since he sensed the threat.
    Now this is a tv trope that annoys me in any show, but when it's used on a galactic scale like this, then it's a shark-jumper for me.
  • g.man wrote:
    Agree with most of that regarding the chase shit. Absolute nonsense. My biggest annoyance was Kenobi in his ship, somewhere in the galaxy, light years from Tatooine, sensing that Luke is in danger, hitting his convenient hyperdrive button, travelling to Tatooine, and arriving as if absolutely no time had passed since he sensed the threat. Now this is a tv trope that annoys me in any show, but when it's used on a galactic scale like this, then it's a shark-jumper for me.
    lol yeah he sensed Luke from lightyears away and then once he gets to the Lars farmstead he just stands there clueless, looking around aimlessly. He didn't sense Reva or Luke a couple hundred feet from him :D
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    That seems pretty consistent with how force sensing has always worked in Star Wars AFAICR?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Yeah - that insta-journey jolted.

The story resolved itself without him so it wasn't even needed.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    You gotta feel sorry for Darth though. He sits in that throne room, his only entertainment is talking to the emperor. He hasn't even got an iPad to while away the hours. You'd think someone would lend him Playstation.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!