Dragon's Dogma
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    Stupid question, but do you have to have LIVE to do this 'pawn' thing?
    Apparently it still works for "free" members.
  • Box art is decent enough, Pugular.

Why the fuck did I buy Diablo? I want this much more! Argh, it sounds great!
  • mrsmr2 wrote:
    Blocks100 wrote:
    Stupid question, but do you have to have LIVE to do this 'pawn' thing?
    Apparently it still works for "free" members.

Oooh, that's encouraging news. Might bag me a copy when prices take a tumble then.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • I've just realised other people can recruit your main pawn, not your actual player character. Doh!
  • Yeah it's a shame 'cause my main character looks way cooler.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I'm not really feeling this at all. It's all a bit vague. I'm all for figuring stuff out, but none of the quests seem clear enough and one's with waypoints sent me a millions miles off into the danger zone for nothing, only for it to re-appear all the way back near where i started. Is it bugged?
  • The quests are wonky as hell, I find a lot of them work out if you just forget about them and wander.
  • Seriously, fuck your ratings, curts. Thanks for the large nut.
  • lol
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    @ Rick - PMSL! Honesty is the best policy, as they say.

I've just restarted from scratch. I'd already changed vocation three times, and none of them were working out. Not being able to block or evade was seriously fucking me up, and sitting back shooting arrows is boring as fuck!

Just made my new pawn and already i'm 10 times happier than i was before.
    Time to press on! I'd done fuck all anyway, so it'll only take a couple of hours to get back to where i was.
  • Well this game is really enjoyable. Feels a bit Ocarina Of Time, but that might be the black borders making me think that. I mean really, why are they there?!

I've just configured my main pawn. Figured mage would be good seeing as I'm a direct combat type. Already a really addictive game.
  • It's an obviously unpolished game, but it’s got its claws in deep and I doubt will be letting me go any time soon.

Went fighter and graduated to mystic knight. My main pawn is an idiot savant called Churro, who looks a lot like John Romero and has been hired by Tempy.

The combat has been great. Some of the special moves you get have so much weight and power - particularly one sword strike that eats about a third of your stamina, used to finish off downed enemies.

I thought I was going to hate not having a roll but now I'm not missing it. It's all about the shield skills. If you block at the right time with a Mystic Knight, there shield can unleash counters of all kinds. Haven't got this down yet - but there's an augment from the fighter path that extends the window of a successful counter by 5 frames. That's the kind of deep customisation, with a direct result on the mechanics of combat, that I've been looking for.

Not playing this today sucks : (
  • I think I'll reroll a fighter instead of a ranger who is ridiculously dull.
  • You can change vocation Tempy (you may know this, if so - sorry) at the inn in the city. You keep your augments from the previous class, and I guess their learned skills too?
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I restarted yesterday after changing vocation 3 times and wasting loadsa points on skills i was never gonna use again. Got back to where i was within no time. The Ranger really was dull as fuck. Warrior is much more fun. My main pawn is Yuria the Witch.  :)
  • Sick - we should trade, I can find yours right?

I feel a bit guilty as last night I cashed in my DLC code, which gave me 2,000 rift crystals allowing me to hire a pawn ten levels my senior...might just release her anyway and hire you lot.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Yeah, she'll be online. I just splashed a bit of cash on her. Gave her a decent Fire Staff and loadsa weapon buff spells for the party.

Gotta nip into work for a bit, but i'll be racing home and getting stuck in later.
  • I can see this thread getting rather busy with you and me under DD's spell : )
  • Witcher may go for this. Or Arkam city. hmm.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • This this this. You'll clock AC in a few hours then still have a DkS shaped hole to fill - this will help you have a break.
  • If I change to a fighter, will I lose all the abilities i've grabbed over the course of the game? Also, my main pawn is a fighter, skill overlap?

Easier to just start again?
  • This is what I was kind of asking - from research you keep 'augments' (permanent background bonuses), and the stat variations you get as you level up (fighter gets more hp per level for example) , but I'm not sure about skills..

If that is the case, you could nick the dodge roll from Strider for which would be nice. The picture that's building is a nice one though - go one of the core vocations first with an eye to developing into one which will benefit from it.

Need a definitive answer on skills transferring though, if I had to guess I'd say they do as I still have my sword specials as a Mystic Knight. That could be the factor - both those classes can use swords, whereas your skills will be on daggars and bows, right?

• So it is similar to the job system from FF Tactics then, but with restrictions on the skills?

Yeah, my skills are Daggers and Bows, both are so utterly pissweak it feels pointless. I might just need to level up some more as this Ogre has kicked the shit out of me three times now, wouldn't be so bad but the regular mobs take so long to chip away at.
  • I think it's like that system, yeah - which I loved <3

Check the classes, I think one allows bows and swords which would be a nicer transition. Also, there's still the bonus of having your base stats upgraded as if you were a strider then transferring, maybe some kit can get the best out of that?

Need to be at home playing!
  • I'll do that. Enthusiasm is back on the rise after Kilted going on about it too. Trust you two, always the way.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Yeah, my skills are Daggers and Bows, both are so utterly pissweak it feels pointless. I might just need to level up some more as this Ogre has kicked the shit out of me three times now, wouldn't be so bad but the regular mobs take so long to chip away at.

Agreed. It seems so cool to start, but was thinking of going into assassin for some strength buffs and a sword/shield combo, mixed with bow skills ive already leveled up.
  • Tonight's first mission: where does one's pawn obtain an Archistave?
  • I fucking love the title screen music! It's straight out of an 80s action movie. This game is awesomesauce. 
    Who's pawn is Balderak? Keeps appearing in my rift area, but he's too high a level, I don't want to have a pawn that's better than me :p
  • Facewon wrote:
    Witcher may go for this. Or Arkam city. hmm.

Get rid of Witcher! This game is kinda Dark Souls, it's not as challenging but it's all good fun. Whether it's worth a full retail price in terms of graphics and that sort of thing, who knows. I happen to like its simple style.
  • I really like the theme tune too...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!