No Man's Sky
  • Universe seems to be the term used when explaining the procedural generation and the rules governing the 'physics' of the game. Galaxy seems to be the term used when describing the playing space and the rules set.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Save the universe for the sequel then.
    Get schwifty.
  • Universe gets used all the time to mean "fictional place". Anyone making a space game should train themselves to dodge that word.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • @Raiziel But I don't want to 'save the universe'.

'Save the Galaxy' on the other-hand has a nicer ring to it.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Wouldn't be hard to set up a Crackdown style baddie structure. Blow up this kind of base and you knock down their ability to train new pilots by 50% for a 10 light year radius. This kind of mine fucks up their hyperdrive range. This base stops them being able to protect their supply routes.

That would mean there's some structure and strategy that could still be procedurally generated.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Blocks100 wrote:
    @Raiziel But I don't want to 'save the universe'.

'Save the Galaxy' on the other-hand has a nicer ring to it.

That's not really what I meant, but anyway, I've already saved the galaxy recently (Mass Effect).

Get schwifty.
  • Saving the galaxy seems so 90s. Scraping by with your life and enough fuel to get to a habitable planet is how I roll.
  • Will there be three titted alien prostitutes??
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • If not, it's not SciFi.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Sony has exclusive rights to The Missing Titty DLC.

MS has exclusive rights to Mastectomy DLC.

Which should I buy???
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    krs wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Good thing Elite: Dangereux and Star Citizen are coming out then.
    It's weird how there are three of these kinds of games coming out at around the same time. Don't you think it's weird? I think it's weird.
    I do think it's weird, Kim, since you asked.  Very, very weird.  Unusual.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Doesn't each player start on their own new planet?

Either: they created say 100million planets and each player is given one the number has to be bigger than the potential number of players Ever. Or a planet is generated for each player.
  • Each payer starts on a planet at the out rim of the galaxy. That he has said.
    Not sure if it is 'your' planet or if there is any such notion of owning anything other than your ship and your gun.

He has said you will randomly be spawned on a planet when you start so meeting a friend or rendezvousing at another planet is extremely unlikely.

I guess you spawn on a 'known' planet in a known system then off you go, exploring and discovering unknown systems and planets until you get to the centre, the path you take i guess, is up to you.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    So what's everyone naming their ships?

Skerret's going for The Crikey! presumably.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    The Douglas Mawson Said Yer A Cunt actually.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    That'd be a great name for an Oz based Green Peace vessel.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The hype is starting to get unsavoury.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I haven't read that, nor will I, but it was certainly the best of show in my eyes.
    Get schwifty.
  • Skerret wrote:
    krs wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    It's weird how there are three of these kinds of games coming out at around the same time. Don't you think it's weird? I think it's weird.

Mayber it's just a coincidence.

• Someone somewhere must know how exclusive this is. Games journalism is rubbish.
  • The only thing unsavoury about this hype is that not everybody's on it. Hew Edwards should be on the news saying "I'm so hype. This is going to be fucking awesome."
  • I'm already feeling over hyped, it can't be that good, can it?
  • Skerret wrote:
    krs wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Mayber it's just a coincidence.

I think it's been done deliberately to reward me for being awesome
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    I'm already feeling over hyped, it can't be that good, can it?
    n0face wrote:
    Can it?

peter-molyneux-1024x800.jpg?w=200
  • If they go down the Crackdown rout of bases having a specific knockon to the stats in that area, and nail the risk/reward of upgrading your gear vs the tasks you need to do to upgrade them, and create interesting enough AI to fight, this could be THAT good.

I'm actually expecting a 7 or 8 but fuck that. HYPE!
  • i don't think this is a pete job whatsoever. they said every atom procedural in their first ever bit of promo. if you dont even try and create hype from your first promo you're better off in a better industry. other than that, absolutely everything said about the technology is just.. completely explicable, there's absolutely nothing questionable about any of it. It would be achievable by any other competent seven man team.

pete deliberately says a load of grand probably untrue or very misleading things, hello games have not, apart from the atom thing they said in the first line of a promo video several months ago

and pantyfire you were right about the galaxy thing, i bow my head and apologise with red face
  • "This is a game made for people who make YouTube videos of games, the Let's Play generation," says Murray.

Ugh. Blech. Thbbbtt.
  • and yeah i'm seeing an 8 from edge and eurogamer simply cause of the nature of the game, i think it will be a bit marmite, if its anything like Frontier it'll be like marmite extra mature, some people will go 'wtf is the point?' others will lose themselves in it for years

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!