Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • Wild at Heart for me.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • nick_md wrote:
    Who's deciding that all these alien things are canon?

The people who own the rights I.e the studio.

• g.man wrote:
    Wild at Heart for me.

Yes.
  • Velvet, Drive, Highway. Head and Heart bubbling just under.

I need to watch Man and Empire.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Who's deciding that all these alien things are canon?

The people who own the rights I.e the studio.

Well they're the last people to trust!
  • nick_md wrote:
    Velvet, Drive, Highway. Head and Heart bubbling just under.

Straight Story is excellent too
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Aliens: River of Pain: Not a film or tv show but an audiodrama, with a full cast. I've finally finished it. Takes place just before the start of Aliens and goes into the first act of Aliens (when Ripley and the Colonial Marines go to LV-426). It covers the story of the colonists who discover the crashed ship that Ripley found in Alien (1).  I've never listened to an audiodrama before, this was superb. As its canon for the Alien universe timeline it fleshes out the colonists and colonial marines stationed at lv-426. It would make a very good movie. Makes me want to go back and watch Aliens again now.  Now onto the next canon audiodrama: Alien: Out of Shadows. Covers the events of what happen to Ripley after the end of Alien when she went to sleep in the hyper sleep chamber and before shes found 57 years later and taken to gateway station.
    How long are these Dino? Might be a nice way to kill some of my 8 hour train journey next week.
  • Tempy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Ah yeah seen, just the once. I may rewatch in a lynch-binge running up to tp season end.
  • Scout wrote:
    Dinostar77 wrote:
    Aliens: River of Pain: Not a film or tv show but an audiodrama, with a full cast. I've finally finished it. Takes place just before the start of Aliens and goes into the first act of Aliens (when Ripley and the Colonial Marines go to LV-426). It covers the story of the colonists who discover the crashed ship that Ripley found in Alien (1).  I've never listened to an audiodrama before, this was superb. As its canon for the Alien universe timeline it fleshes out the colonists and colonial marines stationed at lv-426. It would make a very good movie. Makes me want to go back and watch Aliens again now.  Now onto the next canon audiodrama: Alien: Out of Shadows. Covers the events of what happen to Ripley after the end of Alien when she went to sleep in the hyper sleep chamber and before shes found 57 years later and taken to gateway station.
    How long are these Dino? Might be a nice way to kill some of my 8 hour train journey next week.

5 hours for the first book. I think second is about the same length.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

Ah yeah seen, just the once. I may rewatch in a lynch-binge running up to tp season end.

I think the only ones I am hazy on are Lost Highway and Inland Empire, both of which I started and fell asleep watching (a rarity for me) and then woke up to some weirdness or other and was too freaked out to continue
  • @Dino

Nice. Think I'll grab one.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    nick_md wrote:

I think the only ones I am hazy on are Lost Highway and Inland Empire, both of which I started and fell asleep watching (a rarity for me) and then woke up to some weirdness or other and was too freaked out to continue

Lost highway is my personal preference due to reznor and general 1997 vibe but I am also well aware of its shortcomings
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Someone watch Inland Empire again for me so I don't have to. I remember that being hard work to get through, though a part of me still thinks it would be a good idea to rewatch it sometime.

Mulholland Drive is his best. The Elephant Man makes me cry. Fire Walk With Me is bobbins.
    Get schwifty.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Watched the shallows for some bobbins fun. It certainly was that. Yet man Collet Serra does a good line in B Movies what with the House of Wax, that Neeson plane one and Orphan. Anyway, daftness for a bit and then a denouement that had me actually guffaw out loud. Worse ways to spend 86 minutes for sure
  • Last night watched Kidnap, a chase/thriller thing with Halle Berry which was basically crap but still quite gripping once it got going.

Then tonight was Colossal, which was good fun for a while and then took a surprising direction that I think was still quite decent.
  • Trainspotting 2 - they apparently waited years for the actors to age and the stars to align but they had nothing interesting for them to do or say. Instead they shamelessly played the nostalgia card. The bits of the first film that they didn't ape or reference were literally just shown again, until every last scene had been regurgitated, shat on and kicked to death. 

The 'choose life' speech was incredibly obvious shit and so awkwardly introduced it was painful. The bit where Renton was on the car roof was unbelievably crap, especially the laughing over the bonnet at the end. The women barely get to speak but at least the attractive young one with the inexplicable lust for former junkies got her tits out, eh lads? 

The ending was shite. Fucking pish out of ten.
  • Edinburgh is fair bonny, though and at least they filmed some of it there this time.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Thank god someone else feels the same way .
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Fucking pish out of ten
  • You didn't read my write-up, then.
  • Im in between watching Fargo(never seen it),Mean Dreams,Brimstone and Silence.
    Or fuck it maybe Rime.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    WorKid wrote:
    Watch Fargo.

• Yeah Trainspotting 2 was totally pointless.

Don't really rate Boyle despite some great films.
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • Jaws tonight, with the boy watching for the first time. He's laughing mostly but it's keeping his attention.

It's still a class act though - such a fucking don of a film in every way, plus a reminder of how much I love Dreyfuss.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Thank god someone else feels the same way .
    I thought it was unspeakably bad. Nothing wrong with a meditation on nostalgia and middle age angst, but that's not the film we got. What we got was a pointless shit-tier re-tread of the first film, but with none of the style, wit or charm.

garbage

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Gremill wrote:
    Jaws tonight, with the boy watching for the first time. He's laughing mostly but it's keeping his attention.

It's still a class act though - such a fucking don of a film in every way, plus a reminder of how much I love Dreyfuss.

Am watching too, great film. Not helped by all the bloody ad breaks though, or the news break! Spoils the flow totally
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Gremill wrote:
    Jaws tonight, with the boy watching for the first time. He's laughing mostly but it's keeping his attention.

Am watching too, great film. Not helped by all the bloody ad breaks though, or the news break! Spoils the flow totally

Full of iconic shots though
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I have never watched Jaws.
    It is one of those films that by the time I sat down to watch it I had already seen all the key scenes and the parodies.

I watched the first 30 minutes and found it dull.
  • Jesus, the last 45 minutes of Jaws is just top tier film making. So much fun.
    Gamertag: gremill

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!