Film/Video Discussion Thread
  • I have never watched Jaws.
    It is one of those films that by the time I sat down to watch it I had already seen all the key scenes and the parodies.

I watched the first 30 minutes and found it dull.

It's tonally a bit weird, to me. It gets called a horror but it has moments of action... The whole last act on the boat isn't much of a horror movie to me, but does have a jump moment.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It is just too dissected for me now. Stuff like knowing of 'Bruce' long before seeing the movie.
    I went on the ride in Florida ten years before watching the thing. A Mexican guy pushed my Mum over to get to the front of the line and a massive Texan in a Cowboy hat pulled him back and shouted "God damn Taco heads".

That is Jaws for me, the film is a side note.
  • Wtf were those shooting stars?!
  • It is just too dissected for me now. Stuff like knowing of 'Bruce' long before seeing the movie.
    I went on the ride in Florida ten years before watching the thing. A Mexican guy pushed my Mum over to get to the front of the line and a massive Texan in a Cowboy hat pulled him back and shouted "God damn Taco heads".

That is Jaws for me, the film is a side note.

Yeah I guess it's difficult to separate from everything that has come after over the last 40 years. Kind of like Psycho or similar films.
  • Oddly I have the exact opposite view of Psycho despite my love (fear) relationship starting with it on the exact same trip to Universal Studios.
  • Jaws is spoiled by Bruce. The almost-end is laughably poor.
  • Jaws is of it's time, but tonally it is not action, or horror - tonally it's a Spielberg film. It's legacy is more significant than it's quality as a film but its still a great film.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • Saw it on its original 70's release and it was quite a thing, but yes, the rubber shark fucks it now.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I was also watching the jaws and it struck me as totes bizarre when they are hunting down the shark the music is adventure (think sailing the high seas with freedom) rather than matching what is happening. Which made me think- how come there's an expected kind of music for a boat chasing a shark?! And that this music is different from the actual music used in the seminal boat chasing a shark movie.
  • There are plenty of films that were brilliant in their day but don't hold up, nothing wrong with it but important to recognise.

In danger of bringing up well walked ground Alien had that exact problem and is why we shouldn't be seeing new Alien films.

Jazz hands costume Alien is hot scary
  • I consider Jaws to be a perfect film.
  • Show it to a 16 year old and prepare for Lols.
    It is boring then trash.
  • Jaws is quite realistic.

Politician pays expert for his opinion, then promptly ignores it as it wasn't what they wanted to hear.

Still holds true today.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Wtf were those shooting stars?!

Yes they were. It's a beautiful film in many ways.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Pure hunners of 70s/80s films that have a night sky in them have a shooting star. I think Spielberg, especially, has them everywhere, although I might be wrong.
  • Matt_82 wrote:
    I consider Jaws to be a perfect film.

True words.

I think the only problem is people forgetting that effort used to be put into films and they all involved people trying their best to pull off what they could with what they had instead of just fixing it in post. Yeah the shark is a bit naff but it doesn't ruin a whole film that does everything else right with direction, writing etc. Same with alien.

I've found the times I've seen those movies with people who laugh or whatever seem to be doing it because they have a preconceived notions of it being humorous instead of letting themselves enjoy what's there or enjoy the craft. The big fake guffaws.

In other words, those people are dumb cunts who have no appreciation for the art of filmmaking.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Now those are true words, Shabby. Let those 16 year olds take their lols and get themselves back to watching their Maze Runner's and such.
    Get schwifty.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    My two 14 year olds loved Jaws. I think it still holds up well. Aren't real sharks quite rubbery looking?
    Things can only get better.
  • Shabby, don't make the mistake of confusing effort or intention with the final product.

If you need to make excuses for a film, it's not perfect. In the case of Jaws, we're lucky it's as good as it is. Spielberg' hand was forced by the repeated technical failures, and the film is better for it. Had it failed to work at all, it might have been perfect, but it isn't.
  • Adversity and limitations bring out the creativity. Carpenter's work was ruined by getting bigger budgets.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    Now those are true words, Shabby. Let those 16 year olds take their lols and get themselves back to watching their Maze Runner's and such.

Film degrees are barren these days
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Everyone's signed up to the BA in vlogging.
  • Vlogging is only available as an MA, you can take a BA in Social Media Personality though
  • Blocks100 wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    Wtf were those shooting stars?!

Yes they were. It's a beautiful film in many ways.

I looked it up and apparently the first one was real, the next was an effect they added in. Spielberg trademark
  • you know what I hate about all these youtubers and that? The way they all have to have a 'woooooaaah ZOMG!' expression in their thumbnails, eyes wide and mouth agape, looking off to a corner or something. Im told that studies have shown you get more hits with this approach, but by fuck they grate my tits.
  • They're horrible but it's a good indicator of a channel to leave well alone.
  • They grate my tits, Temps.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Put those gratings onto a nice slice of white bread toast, top with cheese, put your feet up and enjoy.
  • Make tits grate again.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!