Overwatch 2 is in Beta and apparently they’ve changed all sorts!
  • If it looks like a duck...

Nice update Stormy. I'm up for diving in a some point even if it's Overwatch 1.5. One of the best multiplayer games ever innit.
  • So, pretty much what everyone said was gonna happen but we were assured wasn’t gonna happen?
    drumbeg wrote:
    If it looks like a duck... Nice update Stormy. I'm up for diving in at some point even if it's Overwatch 1.5. One of the best multiplayer games ever innit.

Yeah it's kinda sad that everyone could see these problems coming a mile off except for the devs. More character reworks really might help, but that's not happening right now and it would still miss the main issue I have. Overwatch doesn't need to be Valorant, it needs to be Overwatch. Gimme some freedom back, let that magic flow.
  • Played another 4-hour session last night and my feelings about the shift to 5v5 are only getting more negative. 

The lone tank is your de facto shot-caller, and if the rest of the team doesn't pick around supporting that tank's playstyle you're gonna get rolled. If your one tank goes dive then the rest of the team goes dive. If your tank goes shield you roll with a deathball comp.  

This has always been there to a degree of course, but with double tanks there was so much more flexibility - You could play Rein and D.Va - have a fire-support and a flanking DPS - it all worked.
  • On the flip side, with the reduced flexibility does come a faster game that is far more favourable to DPS carries due to the lack of tank and shield shutdowns and no one to peel for the now woefully under-powered supports (except for Moira, natch.) If you play Soldier 76, Genji, or any meta DPS - it's like shooting fish in a barrel. 

This is definitely gonna please a lot of not-me shaped people out there.
  • I wonder what kind of impact this will have on role queues too? 2 less slots per game.

Keen to try it out anyway.
  • Still huge queue times in the beta, and the priority pass barely makes a difference. Thing is, the vast majority of players wanna play DPS, but would flex to the odd tank or support that suits them if needed. With role queue you don't get that choice in-game so everyone just queues DPS. 

I dunno. I'm really quite stunned with how little the game has changed in this beta, and the changes that have been implemented have mostly made the game feel worse for a long term flex/support player like me. It's gonna need a massive Orisa-style overhaul to loads of character's abilities for 5v5 to feel even remotely balanced, and unfortunately, I can't see that happening.

Basically, in its current form 5v5 can eat a dick.
  • Dunkey's view is so close to my take it's scary.

• Ah man, but when your team's in sync and everything's going well... What a feeling.

This fucking game.
  • "Just when I thought I was out....they drag me back in"
  • Aye, lol.

I mean, I only moan about the game because it has a special place in my heart and I always want it to be the best it can be. I might take extended breaks here and there, but with well over 2000 hours devoted to Overwatch and some great memories and friends made, I'll be seeing this game through to the very end. 

And complain every step of the way.
  • Stormy needs an intervention.

Also, overwatch at its best is untouchable. Fuck.
  • It's strange that they absolutely nailed it with their first ever multi-player FPS, yet have clearly found it hard to move the original formula forwards. Maybe key team members were moved onto other stuff or left.
  • Stormy needs an intervention. Also, overwatch at its best is untouchable. Fuck.

True enough. But for me, at its best it's magic. The gameplay, the teamwork, the characters, the design work. Nothing else like it.

drumbeg wrote:
    It's strange that they absolutely nailed it with their first ever multi-player FPS, yet have clearly found it hard to move the original formula forwards. Maybe key team members were moved onto other stuff or left.

Honestly, I'm convinced it was pure luck back then.

Overwatch at launch was so damn fresh. It was the ultimate casual/social team-based FPS that wasn't even really an FPS. It was accessible and desirable to people that had ever played a competitive online game, and it offered so much more freedom in how you played it than any other hero game out there.

Every update since launch has been aimed at changing the game into a serious and highly competitive esports title. Some of the changes have been desirable or necessary, others puzzling. The freedom is gone, the accessibility lessened, but it's hard to argue it's not a better overall game even if you have a soft spot for the OG playstyle. That being said, it's far from perfect and still needs a lot of work. Maybe more work than the team have in them. 

I just think that launch Overwatch was a million miles away from the version of the game the team saw it could be as the fledgling competitive scene exploded. And that the subsequent attempts at transformation have been painfully long and messy, and compounded by meddling from outside the team and by the team's inexperience in the genre. 

It's still Overwatch though, and there's still magic there. I just have to look harder for it these days.
  • The new season of The Overwatch League starts at 8pm, with the Watchpoint pre-show starting in a couple of mins. They've decided to use the OW2 client so it'll be interesting to see how 5v5 plays at the highest level. 

I'm expecting it to be very fast and an out-and-out DPS showcase now the amount of shields has been nerfed. This could make 5v5 make sense. 

• Three maps in and it seems I might have been too optimistic. Pro 5v5 looks every bit as bland as it feels in the beta. It's just deathball comps brawling in super fast fights with none of the strategy or flexibility of 6v6.

The game feels very sped up but also very dumbed down.
  • Overwatch 2 = Overwatch for simpletons.
  • This game has had me on an emotional rollercoaster over the last few days, I shit you not. 

Fucking Blizzard.
  • The first of the OW2 PvP closed betas is done then, and my closing thoughts aren't all that positive. But first, the good:

Overwatch will be getting updates again! Shields and crowd control have been massively reduced to the disappointment of exactly no one. The new character, Sojourn, seems like a nice addition to the game, if a little over tuned. The new maps look and feel pretty good, with plenty of room for mixing up your attacks and defences, and the new game mode has potential (but it does need some looking at. More below).

Now the bad:

Unfortunately, the game just feels off. 5v5 will never have the depth or flexibility of OG OW's 6v6. A main and off-tank makes a huge difference to the game dynamic, with that extra body freely available to back up your main tank, peel for supports, flank, or dive a priority target depending on the situation, as well as freeing up the DPS to play as loose as they're able. The Orisa changes as well as the removal of DPS stuns have shown that Overwatch's shields and CC could have been reduced without losing a teammate, and with one less tank you're limited in your tactical choices and playstyle, with simple death-ball comps trading DPS-led wipe for wipe now being the majority of games. Also, the sole tank is so damn important now that having a bad tank player means you're probably gonna lose. No room for error in the sole tank role. This is snowballed by there being no changes to tanks like Wrecking Ball, who was specifically designed to operate more independently of the team in a 6v6 environment. It really is a bit of a mess.  

I mean, unless you're a hardcore DPS main happy wait 10 mins for a game or someone who barely played enough Overwatch to get an understanding of the complexities of the format. I've no doubt this streamlined and dumbed-down version of Overwatch will feel pretty good for those kinds of people. 

Looking towards the next beta then... I'm hoping supports get some love, and that the old characters really not suited to the new straight-line approach get some changes to make them feel less like transplants from the wrong game. A new playable character would be very cool (and make them a support please), and the new Push mode needs some reworking. In the present version of the mode, getting around 70% progress makes the game all but unwinnable for your opponents, leading to games with 2 or 3 minutes left to run where people just give up or leave. 

So yeah this does seem somewhat downbeat, but I must've clocked up 50 hours in the beta over the last few weeks so it's gotta be doing something right. Right?
  • So there was an Overwatch 2 reveal this evening. Following on from the weekend's news; OW2 will launch on Oct 4th and will be free-to-play for everyone, it'll be supported by a full live service seasonal model with battle passes, events, and whatnot, plus they're removing lootboxes. We'll also get full cross-progression to go with the existing cross-play. 

At launch we'll get 3 new heroes, 1 new game mode, 6 new maps (4 of them from the new game mode), and some dress-up. New heroes and maps will follow, with one hero every other season. 

PvE will follow in 2023, but the campaign doesn't seem to be the focus, as they'll be drip-feeding PvE content with the seasonal model. I'm getting hard Archives vibes here. Give people just the 1 PvE map to play for 9 weeks and everyone will be bored to tears in the first week. 

Overall then, I mean, it's something? Definitely much less than most expected with only 3 new heroes (peeps were low-balling at 5), and the apparent scaling back/reduced focus on PvE is gut-wrenching. Cross-progression and a commitment to updates are nice, as is the removal of loot boxes, but I'm expecting the new monetization to suck balls. I can't deny I'm really disappointed with the whole event. We're having a patch that kills the dynamic of the game and replaces it with a dumbed-down playstyle, and we're getting fewer additions than anyone thought, with the rest (and the PvE missions) being held back to give the seasonal model some substance. It just... It stinks.

Fucking Blizzard.
  • So, I think Overwatch 2 is dropping tomorrow.

I think if you have Overwatch installed, it will be replaced during the launch window by Overwatch 2. It's basically Overwatch 1.5 innit?
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    How is it being monetized? Buy new characters like Apex?
  • It's always been monetised through cosmetics. Don't think there is any change there.
  • A battlepass for cosmetics and new characters. Junker Queen and Sojourn are free additions afaik, but Kiriko and new champs going forward will be battlepass unlocks (or unlocked via challenges after the battlepass has finished). Kiriko will be available immediately for OW1 players though.

PC gamer were very critical of the monetization and some of the gameplay changes in their review, and from everything I've seen and experienced from my time with the beta on PC, I'm in hard agreement with them. 

In going 5v5 and losing a tank the game is definitely faster and more DPS focussed, but it's lacking the depth and variety of gameplay OW1 had. It feels like they're chasing the Apex/Valorant end of the hero shooter market and forgetting that OW1 was successful precisely because it offered something different - drawing in a fuck tonne of players that had no interest in a hardcore shooter. Plus, locking new champs behind 20+ hours of grinding challenges in a battlepass unless you go premium sucks. 

But hey, I'm open to jumping back in and giving it a go at least. Oh, and cross-play has been a thing for a while now so playing with friends on any platform is super easy.
  • And I know I've been shitting all over OW2, but when you're teaming with friends and it all clicks there's still nothing else that feels like it.
  • A battlepass for cosmetics and new characters.

Well, that's disappointing, but since the rest of the new content is effectively free, I'm not going to get too riled up about it.
  • The only entertainment I'm getting from this Overwatch 2 launch tonight is the memes on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Apply/status/1577370577169358848

...eventually got a game. 3 matches played. All on old maps with mostly old characters. They have a nerve calling this a sequel.
  • Aye, it's just a patch labelled a sequel for marketing purposes.

The PvE campaign and repeatable missions they originally said we were getting would have gone some way towards selling that marketing bullshit, but now that's all being drip fed mission by mission as part of the "seasonal experience" from next year.

Seagull's vid on this was pretty good:

• I didn't get to play though. I managed to get in but due to their ongoing issues was locked out of the new characters and then got kicked. That happened three times after queuing for between 30 mins and an hour each time.

Will try again tonight. Fingers crossed the new Push mode got some tweaks, during the beta if one team got to around 75% progress it was all but impossible for the other team to make a comeback, leading to some bad feels and players quitting.

I do like the new characters for the most part though, both their designs and abilities. My only real issues being Junker Queen having the one silhouette in the game that isn't immediately identifiable during gameplay, and maybe having too much kit.
  • Maybe I was lucky then. Once past the initial queue, I got in, had to do the tutorial (the one I already did in 2016) then there wasn't much waiting to actually get into a match. Ultimately I still got kicked part way through the 3rd match.

The tweak to Zarya made her feel much more effective. Had a great round playing as her first attempt. D.Va seemed pretty much unchanged. Also checked out Orisa, but the ability changes are so drastic that I wasn't sure how to play with her.

I'm an Overwatch fan anyway, so I will be playing more.
  • Seagull's vid on this was pretty good:

Interesting and a bit grim. Thanks!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!