Persona 5
  • Love reading this thread and seeing just how much I've missed in my game!  Seems I've been missing out on some important.  Thought my schedule was pretty packed too.  I mostly hang out with the morally suss older women whenever possible.  Sorry Ryuji.  

Only bad time I've had with the game was early on, when I got lost in the train station trying to go home.  Didn't realise you could fast travel and spent over half an hour walking in circles.  Legit thought the game was fucking with me!
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Imagine if Roujin lived in your backpack instead of Morgana.

It would be hard work physically, but would be a lot of fun.
    Your FGC game will be airtight, at the very least.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • First palace down. Boss was pretty straightforward, especially once
    Spoiler:
    What the fuck was up with that sub-boss a bit before though? A little close to the bone...
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Oh that's just Mara. He's cool. Sort of a series mascot alongside Jack Frost. Usually rides a chariot.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Imagine if Roujin lived in your backpack instead of Morgana.
    It would be hard work physically, but would be a lot of fun. Your FGC game will be airtight, at the very least.

If I had better shop-fu I would shop his face on.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I kind of went a bit cray cray on getting the 50% discount at the clinic.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I can't remember P4 dropping the writing ball as much as when here they use Ann for perv jokes.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I can't remember P4 dropping the writing ball as much as when here they use Ann for perv jokes.

There's actually quite a few writing issues in this one, mainly translation based. I had that feeling quite early on but thought maybe it was just me but now it seems quite a few people have picked up on it.

Still very good, but the localisation job was functional rather than great. Shame.
  • My two JP speaking pals tell me that translation is in a funny old space at the moment, given that it's stuck between a few poles like function, intent, style and so on. Sometimes The JP folk in charge of dealing with translators will demand certain things be localised (like P5's Shogi thing?) and other times they will dismiss a far more "appropriate" word because the context in Japanese is not entirely correct, even though changing it to the word that is appropriate in Japanese means the context is skewed over here. Basically it's an endlessly tug of war over semantics. My flat mate is translating a wee indie game at this moment, and I am interested to see how he feels about it.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Hopefully at some point there's an hour long youtube expose' video highlighting key ballsups with appropriate music.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I appreciate they didn't change the classroom questions from stuff only S-Class Weeaboos would know.

What does this shorthand symbol mean on this Shogi piece.

I feel it was a mistake to find out what people answered before you actually answered. It's fucking obvious people just look online.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    @cint the deadline for your Just Completed is 

04/30

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Causes me physical pain to put the month before the day.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I appreciate they didn't change the classroom questions from stuff only S-Class Weeaboos would know.

What does this shorthand symbol mean on this Shogi piece.

Funny you mention that one...since that's actually one of the examples where the translation is straight up wrong, apparently. I nearly got caught out with that since the second answer option was 金 - which is gold in Chinese and where the kanji was derived from. Someone dropped a bollock.
    Tempy wrote:
    My two JP speaking pals tell me that translation is in a funny old space at the moment, given that it's stuck between a few poles like function, intent, style and so on. Sometimes The JP folk in charge of dealing with translators will demand certain things be localised (like P5's Shogi thing?) and other times they will dismiss a far more "appropriate" word because the context in Japanese is not entirely correct, even though changing it to the word that is appropriate in Japanese means the context is skewed over here. Basically it's an endlessly tug of war over semantics. My flat mate is translating a wee indie game at this moment, and I am interested to see how he feels about it.

There's a really fantastic Translator's Preface to a book I've been reading recently and it really hits on this - the need to have a word be carried across or adopted regardless of whether or not it is truly appropriate because people have a real inability to think outside their own language and insist on the adoption of concepts or meanings they are already familiar with. I'll try and find it.

Also, seems this translation had a big team, so I wouldn't be surprised if tone and cohesion suffered - hard to maintain a voice across half a dozen or so people.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    @cint the deadline for your Just Completed is 

04/30

Lol, k.

Word count?
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Break the forum.
  • There's a really fantastic Translator's Preface to a book I've been reading recently and it really hits on this - the need to have a word be carried across or adopted regardless of whether or not it is truly appropriate because people have a real inability to think outside their own language and insist on the adoption of concepts or meanings they are already familiar with. I'll try and find it. Also, seems this translation had a big team, so I wouldn't be surprised if tone and cohesion suffered - hard to maintain a voice across half a dozen or so people.

I love how interesting language is, but I could never get the grammar technicalities down enough to study it, also I had to proofread a friend's essay on Scottish Surnames yesterday and I can't think of anything less interesting to do with my time than write about that.
  • Not quite so sure about this now. Been playing it a lot, and still am - over 20 hours in a week - and perhaps that's the problem, but it's kind of numbing.

It looks so nice and is charming enough that it's very easy to sit for hours on end pressing the buttons, but it feels a bit like going through the motions. The structure is overly familiar and the mechanics too transparent having played P4G. Plus the social aspect isn't as developed (perhaps just being introduced too slowly), and school life is barely there at all (still no after school social clubs).

The dungeons are much better, which was my main issue with P4G, but so far it's been surprisingly easy (on Normal level). Again, just means you don't have to think about it much and can go through the motions.

I hope it adds up to something a bit more once more characters are introduced and relationships start to develop properly. Perhaps I just don't remember how long it took to get to that stage in P4G, but it didn't seem to take quite so long. In the meantime, it's still all very pleasant.
  • Na, the above is all accurate- especially the school life stuff.

However, I think the social links develop really nicely as the game goes on and become one of the few areas where I think P5 is the superior game.

That's not to shit on P5 - it's a good game, but I managed to pretty much just drift through it and have fun without having my socks blown off like I did with P4 and P4G. I does pick up, though.

Stick with it - it's a slow burner, but it does develop nicely.
  • OK, the second palace boss is quite tough. Got beaten by it on my first try. Should be able to manage it next time I reckon.
  • Silke
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Silke Neryn
    PSN
    Silke_Neryn
    Steam
    Silke Neryn

Send message
    my socks blown off like I did with P4 and P4G.

Around when would this happen? I think I managed to reach August in P4 before my interest finally dropped completely.

Here, I like the jazz funky flow, the groove of the city; some thematic aspirations. It's like JonB said, it's all very pleasant. I will see it to the end. But I do miss the Atlus of old. Persona 2, Nocturne, aspects of Digital Devil Saga - those where the days.
    It's a world of truck drivers.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Having done the math, around 70.1% of my enjoyment is coming from Meguro's sounds.

• Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Ryuji's social link kind of doubles as an afterschool sports thing because of the track club but yeah I'm surprised there's more emphasis on people outside the school system.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Which is fine imo. The requests pick up some of the slack. Especially when it's nameless students you're already familiar with.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    Having done the math, around 70.1% of my enjoyment is coming from Meguro's sounds.
    Yeah, I forgot to mention the soundtrack. It adds a huge amount.
  • Ooh, another good OST? Persona 4 OST is one of the best ever.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • P4 is one of my favourites too. I'd go as far as to say this is even better. A little less cheesy, a little more funky.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Persona is pretty much all I'm playing now. Bouncing between this and P4G on the Vita and enjoying them both immensely.

I'm just over half way through the second dungeon on this and just about to start the third on the Vita. I'm thinking I've still got quite a way to go.

I have one, probably stupid question, what are the Attack and Hit stats? I sometimes upgrade a weapon and one stat may drop while another increases, but I don't really have an idea which I should be choosing.
  • Attack power and Hit rate. I think.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!