The British Politics Thread
  • Most of the Gurno opinion columnists are.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    As if we needed more confirmation that the whole thing is madness, the US now explicitly saying they want us to leave the EU
  • Of course Trump wants that, the EU is is a powerful bloc, and Trump doesnt like that.
  • Of course Trump wants that, the EU is is a powerful bloc, and Trumps boss doesnt like that.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I can remember being pretty much tied up with the Brexit argument. I really did swing between the two positions. In the end I voted to stay because I hadn't been given any solid evidence as what would get better.

I didn't believe any of the fear messages either - I ended up voting just to keep things as they are.

One of the main factors was looking at the people who were at the forefront of promoting Leave and I had to believe that anything they didn't want had to be worth holding onto.

So Trump being for leave only further cements that belief in being true.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • IMPORTANT!!!!
    GOVE RUNNING UPDATE!!!!
    azAvVe3.png
  • https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/02/us-wants-access-to-nhs-in-post-brexit-deal-ambassador-to-uk-says

I like how everyone's feigning to be surprised at this. Wasn't it obvious all along? Bannon didn't influence (bought?) the '16 ref for nothing. But yeah, will of the people.

The brexiteer Tories are seeing £/$ signs everywhere. Privatisation >
    austerity. It's where the big moneyz is at.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Who is surprised at it? Literally everyone said thats what the septics would do.
  • After 3.5 years, the opposition is alarmed all of a sudden.going by the article.

Septics? I see what you did there....
  • monkey wrote:
    IMPORTANT!!!!
    GOVE RUNNING UPDATE!!!!
    azAvVe3.png

A vid of Raab's muscular pecs machine gunning the immigrant dinghys and it's a shoo-in.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • hunk wrote:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/jun/02/us-wants-access-to-nhs-in-post-brexit-deal-ambassador-to-uk-says I like how everyone's feigning to be surprised at this. Wasn't it obvious all along? Bannon didn't influence (bought?) the '16 ref for nothing. But yeah, will of the people. The brexiteer Tories are seeing £/$ signs everywhere. Privatisation > austerity. It's where the big moneyz is at.

That red bus advert is looking worse with each passing day.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    From Philip Hammond:

"I reject the idea that there are vast numbers of people facing dire poverty in this country. I don't accept the UN rapporteur's report at all. I think that's a nonsense. Look around you, that's not what we see in this country."

Not when you're life consists of being chauffeur driven between the poshest parts of London.
  • Those VR goggles working perfectly.
  • From Philip Hammond: "I reject the idea that there are vast numbers of people facing dire poverty in this country. I don't accept the UN rapporteur's report at all. I think that's a nonsense. Look around you, that's not what we see in this country." Not when you're life consists of being chauffeur driven between the poshest parts of London.

He wants to come to the North East and look around then. Or West Wales, or Cornwall.

The fucking cunt
  • From Philip Hammond:

"I reject the idea that there are vast numbers of people facing dire poverty in this country. I don't accept the UN rapporteur's report at all. I think that's a nonsense. Look around you, that's not what we see in this country."

Not when you're life consists of being chauffeur driven between the poshest parts of London.

Thats exactly what we see.

How the fuck does he think Brexit happened?
  • From Philip Hammond:

One of the biggest increases in activity that Unison has seen over the last decade is in the area of members applying for hardship funds so that they can pay things like mortgages and buy food. That, and requests for donations to food banks.

These are members of a Union - which means that they are mostly in employment. So if working people need financial support to survive, where on earth does that put those people who don't or can't work?

I mean, it's not as if we actually needed confirmation that every Tory minister is a cunt - but it's worth being reminded.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • The tories want it so only the rich survive, get educated, have any sway on what happens in the country. They've actively put policies in place that have killed people. Socio-economic genocide.
    The worst part being that its moved past the so called 'benefit scroungers' into the next level, low paid workers, and trust me it won't stop there.
    Unless you're really well off, expect the next twenty years to get a lot worse.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Until they eventually realise there’s nobody left to clean their penthouses and they start to die from basic bacterial infections with no healthcare professionals to help them survive.

(With regards to Douglas Adams.)
  • If they're quick Chukka can get his name on the ballot for the new Lib Dem leader.
  • Jezza going ham at this anti trump protest.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I get it’s all politics and you need to work with people you dislike and whatever, but it does seem weird that Corbyn’s addressing an anti-Trump protest after Trump turned down a meeting with him.
  • Trump's snubbing Corbyn because the US wants access to the UK market by privatising........everything. Obviously.
    Corbyn can't or won't deliver a free market paradise like that so not much to discuss. Trump's counting on the Tories to deliver that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’m not even sure it goes that deep with Trump. Corbyn criticised him and Trump can’t take criticism, that’s about all there is to it.
  • True, he snubbed the Royals (Meghan?) and mayor Khan as well.
    He's quite the Twitter troll.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    That's amazing and completely hilarious. Especially Chuka being one of those to jump ship.

It wasn't long ago that their big plan to capture Lib Dem votes was leaked. Utter fucking shambles. If the Lib Dems have any sense they'll turn them away.
  • It does seem weird. What was the plan? Become an overnight success? They’ve had nothing to contribute apart from vague ‘let’s change stuff’ soundbites. They’ve got no policies, no hint they’ve got any ideas. I remember one of them said a while ago, in response to a question about why they didn’t join the Lib Dem’s, that they wanted to be completely new. Really it’s the same old weak shite that they wanted to repackage a la Macron.
    The whole thing has been just a huge rebranding flop. What has a member of the Labour Party got in common with Tory austerity supporters? They don’t seem to know either. Oh well.
  • Anna Soubry, Mike Gapes, Chris Leslie, Joan Ryan and Ann Coffey.

The all star team. Now they've cut the deadweight, they'll soar to the top of the polls.
  • I wonder if the TIGs were ever meant to be a party.

It seems so bizarre how the whole thing has fallen apart but also the trajectory taken by the six who left their parties, to form a loose group then a a party then abandon that party to (rumoured) join the established centre party.

So bizarre.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!