The British Politics Thread
  • Doesn't really get anymore shameless than Boris openly and repeatedly lying and giving no fucks to boot.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • IFS says Labour's plans would raise tax burden to highest sustained level since WW2

Oh, when we built the NHS you mean?
  • We should take pride in paying tax. Tories doing charity work boils my piss.
  • acemuzzy wrote:
    He's pro Palestine, which some might argue is antisemitic? Maybe?

More anti-Israel.

His stance on the two state solution, but with the right to return coupled with his comments on the Balfour treaty and his speaking at Al Quds marches, tends to muddy the waters a bit.

Then there's the vocal support for Hamas and Hezbollah (friends), who have a long history of dressing up anti-semitism as anti-zionism as well as being very anti LGBTQ, then there's the mural, the wreath laying, the irony comment, vocally agreeing with a number of anti-semites and even hosting events for them, continually sharing a platform with prominent anti-semites, failing to deal with prominent cases of anti-semitism within the party, personally intervening in said cases and then claiming the opposite, writing the forward to a new edition of JA Hobson’s 1902 book Imperialism: A Study calling it "a great tome", his perpetuation of the myth that the Jews control the media, his support of a campaign to release terrorists guilty of bombing the Isreali Embassy building, his introduction of a motion to rename Holocaust remembrance Day, blaming the "zionist lobby" for Sheikh Raed Salah's expulsion from the UK (Salah claimed 9/11 was carried out by Jews and claimed Jews used the blood of Christian babies to bake bread), and so on, and so on, and so on.

But it's probably just a smear campaign.

After all you know what Jews are like.

To be fair, I don't actually believe he is an anti-semite although I do have concerns, but equally I can understand why others do.
  • And that time on live TV the other night when he said ‘anti-semitism is an absolute evil and scourge’ and...oh, doesn’t suit the narrative, forget it.
  • JMW wrote:
    And that time on live TV the other night when he said ‘anti-semitism is an absolute evil and scourge’ and...oh, doesn’t suit the narrative, forget it.

Because everybody knows a politicians word is gospel, especially when there is a history of evidence to the contrary.

Fuck it, who gives a shit anyway.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

More anti-Israel.

His stance on the two state solution, but with the right to return coupled with his comments on the Balfour treaty and his speaking at Al Quds marches, tends to muddy the waters a bit.

Then there's the vocal support for Hamas and Hezbollah (friends), who have a long history of dressing up anti-semitism as anti-zionism as well as being very anti LGBTQ, then there's the mural, the wreath laying, the irony comment, vocally agreeing with a number of anti-semites and even hosting events for them, continually sharing a platform with prominent anti-semites, failing to deal with prominent cases of anti-semitism within the party, personally intervening in said cases and then claiming the opposite, writing the forward to a new edition of JA Hobson’s 1902 book Imperialism: A Study calling it "a great tome", his perpetuation of the myth that the Jews control the media, his support of a campaign to release terrorists guilty of bombing the Isreali Embassy building, his introduction of a motion to rename Holocaust remembrance Day, blaming the "zionist lobby" for Sheikh Raed Salah's expulsion from the UK (Salah claimed 9/11 was carried out by Jews and and claimed Jews used to blood of Christian babies to bake bread), and so on, and so on, and so on.

To be fair, I don't actually believe he is an anti-semite although I do have concerns, but equally I can understand why others do.

What's wrong about the right of people displaced from their homes to be allowed to return?
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • What's wrong about the right of people displaced from their homes to be allowed to return?

Where the fuck did I say there was?

or did you just stop reading at that point.

fuck this shit, delete this account, I'm done.
  • acemuzzy wrote:

More anti-Israel.

Then there's the vocal support for Hamas and Hezbollah (friends), who have a long history of dressing up anti-semitism as anti-zionism as well as being very anti LGBTQ, then there's the mural, the wreath laying, the irony comment, vocally agreeing with a number of anti-semites and even hosting events for them, continually sharing a platform with prominent anti-semites, failing to deal with prominent cases of anti-semitism within the party, personally intervening in said cases and then claiming the opposite, writing the forward to a new edition of JA Hobson’s 1902 book Imperialism: A Study calling it "a great tome", his perpetuation of the myth that the Jews control the media, his support of a campaign to release terrorists guilty of bombing the Isreali Embassy building, his introduction of a motion to rename Holocaust remembrance Day, blaming the "zionist lobby" for Sheikh Raed Salah's expulsion from the UK (Salah claimed 9/11 was carried out by Jews and and claimed Jews used to blood of Christian babies to bake bread), and so on, and so on, and so on.

What's wrong about the right of people displaced from their homes to be allowed to return?

Where the fuck did I say there was?

or did you just stop reading at that point.

fuck this shit, delete this account, I'm done.

I made it in bold, you should probably calm down, it's a question.

• GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Quickest flounce ever?
  • Overhead on lbc Ian Dale just now "Can you name one country in the world which allows foreign citizens to vote in general elections" labour guy, stumped " no I'm afraid".

Me, on the street "Yes! yes you Muppet. The country is called Britain. Canadians, Aussies, Bengalis, and Indians. It's us you fuckmuppets,"

meanwhile my friends mum who just got settled status, has lived here pretty much her entire life, no vote.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    YouGov poll on who won that debate.

51% Boris
    49% Corbyn

I saw this on twitter, and it checks out:

Britain Elects 33,517 votes
    Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Paul Brand (ITV News) 29,665 votes
    Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Martin Lewis (ITV) 22,795 votes
    Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

(The Times, 8,000 votes, Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%) - I haven’t been able to check this one.

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Now, both Paul Brand and Martin Lewis acknowledged that the YouGov poll would be subject to more control, pointing to more accuracy, and I have no idea if twitter users are generally more left leaning, but they are nevertheless interesting results.

Rather depressingly, checking these led me to see the more specific YouGov polling, in which 54% voted Johnson as the most Prime-Ministerial. What kind of fucknugget thinks he’s even remotely Prime-Ministerial?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Have you not seen the state of our previous ones?
  • Andy wrote:
    LivDiv wrote:
    YouGov poll on who won that debate.

51% Boris
    49% Corbyn

I saw this on twitter, and it checks out:

Britain Elects 33,517 votes
    Corbyn 57% Johnson 28%

Paul Brand (ITV News) 29,665 votes
    Corbyn 78% Johnson 22%

Martin Lewis (ITV) 22,795 votes
    Corbyn 47% Johnson 25%

(The Times, 8,000 votes, Corbyn 63% Johnson 37%) - I haven’t been able to check this one.

YouGov 1,646 polled
    Corbyn 49% Johnson 51%

Now, both Paul Brand and Martin Lewis acknowledged that the YouGov poll would be subject to more control, pointing to more accuracy, and I have no idea if twitter users are generally more left leaning, but they are nevertheless interesting results.

Rather depressingly, checking these led me to see the more specific YouGov polling, in which 54% voted Johnson as the most Prime-Ministerial. What kind of fucknugget thinks he’s even remotely Prime-Ministerial?

It's yougov mate. Nadeem Zawahi is part owner. It's yougov.
  • Have you not seen the state of our previous ones?

Mostly awful, yes, but I think he still comes of badly relative to them.

I have to say, if we must have another five years of Tories, bring back John Major.
  • Doesn’t two state solution + right of return mean a Palestine state and Israel becomes a majority Palestinian state from re-settlement?
  • Is there a legit calculator for the labour manifesto so I can see how it affects me?

I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Quickest flounce ever?

No real need for that. Hopefully she'll be back.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    MattyJ wrote:
    Is there a legit calculator for the labour manifesto so I can see how it affects me?

More likely than one for the Tory manifesto

• monkey wrote:
    Doesn’t two state solution + right of return mean a Palestine state and Israel becomes a majority Palestinian state from re-settlement?

No, it's sort of summat like 45-55 if you give all palestinans the right to return, their children right to return, and they all choose to return. (Estimates at 4-5m)

But 1) what's wrong with a majority of Palestinians, is democracy only good if it's a state with minority palestinans? A slightly mischievous question, but worth you thinking about that.

2) and anyway, the right to return is a bargaining tool fo r a two state solution, where we know one of those states is going to continue to be the essentially racist Israeli state with its one-way societal system.

Everyone knows the right of return is a red line for Israel, they are worried enough about the birthrate of Arabs in their country as it is, and are yearly contriving to reduce their civil rights in preparation.

A true ally of justice and fairness supports the principle of right to return, knowing that it is part of the negotiations. You might get, say East Jerusalem as the capital, you might get a state that some contiguous elements - cos let's face it, 1967 borders are a goner. But it is all part of the negotiations. Or you might get financial compensation that could help repair what will be a traumatised, broken palestian state.

It's quite interesting that lots of people who bang on about "punching down" in all sorts of context don't understand the simple concept of punching up when supporting victims of injustice.

I've posted about this before at length, though, so you either get it or you don't. Intersting that monkey thought it would result in a majority Arab state in Israel. Shows the propaganda is working innit.

(When I last looked into that, the estimates included Christians kopts and Armenians who have long since gone off to Australia or the US. The idea that they will return is laughable)
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Quickest flounce ever?

No real need for that. Hopefully she'll be back.

I hope so to, but it was a massive over reaction. We don't need to pander to it as if it's reasonable behaviour.
  • What the blue fuck happened in here?
  • Ozno the meanie struck again.
  • Yeah I did pose it as a question because I remember reading it in the Times so mentally filed under ‘Dubious’. Re 1) the issue would be whether Israel would ever negotiate when the other side want to, from their POV, turn them back into a minority which would be defeating the whole point of Israel in the first place.

In the Times it was evidence of Corbyns unrealistic approach. Oh look, he wants this and this. They’re completely incompatible. What a wally etc.
  • monkey wrote:
    Yeah I did pose it as a question because I remember reading it in the Times so mentally filed under ‘Dubious’. Re 1) the issue would be whether Israel would ever negotiate when the other side want to, from their POV, turn them back into a minority which would be defeating the whole point of Israel in the first place.

In the Times it was evidence of Corbyns unrealistic approach. Oh look, he wants this and this. They’re completely incompatible. What a wally etc.

It's because on Israel you must punch down. Every palestian demand must be reduced to summat pragmatic, achievable. Meanwhile the Israeli demands grow bolder over time. Facts on the ground are created, and a negative feedback loop ensues. By the time we get to a negotiating table, we'll have, what, minor city states, with a budget, no autonomy, no trade, minor roads connected interspersed with settler only highways. Be grateful for what you get, Mohammed, shoulda recognised the state of Israel 50 years ago mate.

• MattyJ wrote:
    Is there a legit calculator for the labour manifesto so I can see how it affects me?

they aren’t proposing any changes to personal tax below £80k per year. Those on over £80k will be taxed at marginal rate of 45%, and those on over £125k at 50%. If you earn less than £80k there is no difference.

Other than that, unless you earn money from wealth (capital gains tax is being harmonised with income tax rates), there’s no difference.

Of course, if they manage to get in, there could be many extra benefits (broadband, extended childcare support, etc).

• Idiot tory boy from work posted this on FB today, seems to be doing the rounds, no doubt in response to the labour manifesto. I don’t know where to start, it’s just such a shit analogy!
    For those of you reciting the 'Tories defend the rich' argument, read this. It's worth it, I assure you.

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to £100...
    If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this...

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
    The fifth would pay £1.
    The sixth would pay £3.
    The seventh would pay £7..
    The eighth would pay £12.
    The ninth would pay £18.
    The tenth man (the richest) would pay £59.

So, that's what they decided to do..

The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve ball.

"Since you are all such good customers," he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by £20". Drinks for the ten men would now cost just £80.

The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes.

So the first four men were unaffected.

They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men?
    The paying customers?

How could they divide the £20 windfall so that everyone would get his fair share?

They realised that £20 divided by six is £3.33. But if they
    subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer.

So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by a higher percentage the poorer he was, to follow the principle of the tax system they had been using, and he proceeded to work out the amounts he suggested that each should now pay.

And so the fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% saving).

The sixth now paid £2 instead of £3 (33% saving).

The seventh now paid £5 instead of £7 (28% saving).
    The eighth now paid £9 instead of £12 (25% saving).

The ninth now paid £14 instead of £18 (22% saving).

The tenth now paid £49 instead of £59 (16% saving).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But, once outside the bar, the men began to compare their savings.

"I only got a pound out of the £20 saving," declared the sixth man.

He pointed to the tenth man,"but he got £10!"

"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a pound too. It's unfair that he got ten times more benefit than me!"

"That's true!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get £10 back, when I got only £2? The wealthy get all the breaks!"

"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison, "we didn't get anything at all. This new tax system exploits the poor!"

The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.

The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had their beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and government ministers, is how our tax system works.

The people who already pay the highest taxes will naturally get the most benefit from a tax reduction.

Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore.

In fact, they might start drinking overseas, where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D.
    Professor of Economics.

For those who understand, no explanation is needed.
    For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!