The British Politics Thread
  • For me, it’s not about placating obviously aggressive ignorant twats. It’s about getting the audience on side and making the point that this guy is part of the reason the country is fucked:

“Who here earns more than £80k? *very few hands go up* who here thinks this man is reasonable, objecting to paying £20-£50 per month on funding the NHS, a national broadband service, better rail, scrapping tuition fees? People who think they are normal, earning more than twice the average household income, defending themselves against paying their fair share - a small amount more - of tax, need to be called out, and I, sir, am calling you out: you are wrong, you are part of the 5%, and you should pay your tax”
  • But what if he doesn’t come to the pub with us anymore? What then?!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • This Burgon fucker is shadow justice, that’s easily top ten shadow cabinet, if he can’t shut down ignorant wankers like that prick what’s the sodding point of him? Why are these politicians so incapable?
  • How does that thick cunt earn 80k?
    Paye as well so he isn't self employed, someone pays that moron 80k.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    There are many reasons I can't bear to watch Question Time. This guy in the audience makes me want to strangle him, and his smug wife. 
    toss pot 

But the worst aspect is how badly Burgon (who remember, is a member of the shadow cabinet and should know his shit) handles it, even when the points have been clarified. The answer is direct and easy:  

"you're wrong. If you earn more than £80K you are in the top 5%, this is a simple fact, and your wrong opinion on the matter is not relevant. And as someone who earns in the top 5%, are you really making such a fuss about a few hundred quid a year? Because that reflects on you buddy, not our tax policy." Shut that shit down, then and only then should he ponce on about billionaires and corporations. 

Our politicians, or at least the ones shoved on camera, are simply not educated, smart, or brave enough, and QT proves this week after week until I crai

I've just watched this, and I'll defend Burgeon here. He at first assumes the guy doesn't earn over 80K, since the bloke doesn't state that, just that he's not in the top 5% and when it becomes clear he does, Burgeon does flat out say "You're wrong".

The guy is thick as fuck. "the top 5% don't even work". Well that's nothing to do with income tax. We're discussing the top 5% of earners, not someone who is sitting on inherited wealth. Burgeon is following up this this point when he talks about billionaires.

They don't have a fucking clue how the world works, as evidenced by how he views himself in relation to other professions, and his wifes reaction to Burgon revealing his solicitors salary.
  • Did that guy earning 80k say he didn’t think he was in the top 50%?

• Yes - like I say, convincing someone so clearly ignorant and self absorbed shouldn’t be the agenda; the idea should be to reduce his rhetoric to ashes

I mentioned the initial confusion, because I wanted to be clear my disappointment stems from Burgon’s answer post clarification. It’s shit, meandering and (mostly) irrelevant.
  • I think people like him struggle with percentages. 5% is a large amount of the population especially as earnings take a steep curve upwards.
    He mentions doctors and (wrongly) all solicitors but doesn't stop to think how many doctors there are for warehouse workers, bin men, teachers, retail workers, nurses, care assistants, waiters, cooks I could go on all day.

I really want to know what he does for a job. He must be surrounded by people like him as well, it must be banking. To be that aggressively stupid and still be surrounded by £80k earners it just has to be. Maybe pharma sales.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Dunno, but it gives me hope, because unless it's punching animals to death I'm pretty sure I could do it better than him.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    What is a Nigel Farage and why is it launching anything to do with politics?

ECwXvPC.png
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Dunno, but it gives me hope, because unless it's punching animals to death I'm pretty sure I could do it better than him.

Came in here to do a joke like that. Goobs got there.

Things move fast in politics
  • I'm kinda surprised 80k is the top 5% of wages. An old article from 2017 puts the top 1% at 170k. Again, that seems small

But this is the thing with percentages - a small figure can hide a large number. So thats 318,000 people on 170k or higher. Sounds more reasonable (from a workforce of 31.8 million)
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Last time it was reviewed (2016 I think) it was £73000 put you in top 5%. Thing is, the more you earn, the more you spend, and the more blinkered you become. "I earn £4k a month and it's gone at the end of it". Four thousand pounds a month. Fucking imagine. The reality is the guy is top hatted fuckwittery, the guy who buys the rounds for his mates because a good pay day comes in, but the guy who is thick as pigshit when it comes to the rest of the country.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I'm guessing those figures are just those on a salary, so doesn't include capital gains tax etc?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Solely on salary which is what the manifesto addressed.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I'm kinda surprised 80k is the top 5% of wages. An old article from 2017 puts the top 1% at 170k. Again, that seems small But this is the thing with percentages - a small figure can hide a large number. So thats 318,000 people on 170k or higher. Sounds more reasonable (from a workforce of 31.8 million)

Right, but of course that means the reverse is true: a large percentage must reveal a huge number. 318,000 is a drop in the ocean of 31.5 million, as 1.6 million (5%) to 30.2 million. Again, this guy is top hatted fuckwittery (hat tip to Reg there) and should have been called out as such, but we lack the calibre of political to do it
  • I dunno about this top 5% lark, I mean it is clearly evidenced by the stats.

Chap earns £80k p.a., clearly has to live in the south. Nets £4,500 p.m, take off £200 for auto-enrolment (£4,300). £200 travel card (£4,100). Rent/mortgage £2,000 (£2,100), then food c£300 (£1,800) council tax, broadband, sky, electricity, water, gas £500 (£1,300).

After all that, he has c£300 a week to live on, so he most probably doesn't feel particularly flush.

I suppose the argument might be that some old folks with a couple of rental properties and final salary pension netting out a total of c£50k p.a, would be deemed to be, say, top 30% but are in effect a lot better off.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Great. Good argument. Now apply the same rota to someone earning minimum wage.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And the shit I could do with £300 A WEEK after all bills. Damn.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    £300 AFTER ALL BILLS? THATS A GRAND PLUS A MONTH. fuck sake. Perspective is needed here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    For what seems to equate to an extra £50 a year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    This is the first election I'm actually angry about.
  • He has more 'to live off' than Tempy earns in a full year.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I can't afford my new extension build because of labour.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Flora and I have been talking about redoing an upstairs bathroom in a couple of years when we have the money. That's around £3000 at the low end. Fuckwad here can do it in 3 months.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I can't afford my new extension build because of labour.

Builders are expensive, aye.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They earn over £80k a year.
  • How do they get by on that?
  • Bricks are heavy (but not expensive).
  • You're also assuming he's the only earner. He alone theoretically has £1200 a month 'spare'
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!