The British Politics Thread
  • I am about the only category of lower end earner that will pay more under Labour. I will pay 2% more corporation tax than now, or 4% more if Tories keep their promise to lower it.

For myself it will equate to a few hundred pounds a year, offset against free internet it could break even.
    If it is more then fuck it because I will be earning more and will be able to pay it.
  • Snopes tells us that it was not written by David Kamerschen, or indeed any of the othe academics it’s been attributed to in the last 16 years it’s been doing the rounds.
  • Ah yes for those of us who are Ltd company contractors there will be a corp tax hit.

It’s bigger than you think: up to 26% from today’s 19%. I haven’t got into the detail to know whether that will be tiered by company income like they used to be (under and over £300k company income). But the tories have already scrapped their promise to slash it to 16% so that’s moot.
  • Yeah it is tiered. 21% up to 300k.
    If you are a one man band earning 300k+ you can damn well pay the extra percentage.

Given my profit all goes to dividend it equates as less than the Tories put my tax up this year. Tax free dividends dropped from £5k to £2k and dividend tax went up by 2.5%.
  • Just looking through Labour will also scrap the marriage allowance.
    I'm not 100% sure how that works not being married but that could impact people here I guess.

Just seems like a shitty loophole to be exploited to me.
  • Analogy falls down on the fact that any self respecting rich person would immediately kick off about being made to pay extra for anything and begin doing everything in their power to avoid paying at all ... due to the vast power imbalance between rich and poor in our society he’d be placated at every step, his view and his view alone would be seen to matter, and once his right wing political pals had stepped in and wangled things for him it would end up with the poorest, who could least afford it, actually paying for his drinks. And then they’d have to thank him for the privilege of buying his drinks.

Ideally they’d never even know how little he paid for his drinks and how cushy his life was in comparison to theirs. Then the rich man would point down the road at an immigrant or tramp and say “see him down there, he’s the one who fucked things for you. He’s always got money for a drink, they just give him money for doing nothing! That’s what they do, the lefties and the liberals. You’re paying for that freeloader’s drinks lads, how’s that fair eh?”

And the ‘and then he just leaves, taking all his valuable money with him’ part doesn’t work because he’d be stashing all his cash in offshore accounts anyway and none of his cash would have made it back to us to redistribute into society anyway. So him fucking off wouldn’t really matter as he did his absolute best to contribute as little as possible anyway. He’d threaten to fuck off the minute you tried to bill him, so as to try and get his drinks for free.

Plus he’d never drink with those scummy commoners in the first place, he’s off in some swanky private drinking den plotting with his rich friends how best to fuck over the poor blokes at the bar down the road and make a fat profit in the process.

Also, most decent people don’t mind getting a round in for their mates when they’re short.

That patronising ending can fuck off too. As if this prick on Facebook sharing a hoary old rightwing meme is some financial and taxation expert kindly agreeing to explain things to you, a moron who clearly couldn’t think for themselves.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    LivDiv wrote:
    Just looking through Labour will also scrap the marriage allowance.
    I'm not 100% sure how that works not being married but that could impact people here I guess.

Married tax allowance means a married couple can combine their tax free allowance if one earns below the threshold that is transferred to the other partner. It's a few hundred quid a year for me as my wife doesn't work so I get her full tax allowance. I don't care though, fuck the Tories.
  • This so scary to all sorts of people, but especially Griff.

Hey Griff, I'll buy you a pint after 12 Dec mate
    Spoiler:
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Missed that little story on the page turn.
    Yeah it is a load of bollocks.

People need to be thinking about what they have left after tax and the lifestyle that affords them.

It's funny how the rich tell us it is all just hard work and we should stop being lazy. If it is that easy just go and earn a few more percent to cover the tax rise.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Just looking through Labour will also scrap the marriage allowance.

Married tax allowance means a married couple can combine their tax free allowance if one earns below the threshold that is transferred to the other partner. It's a few hundred quid a year for me as my wife doesn't work so I get her full tax allowance. I don't care though, fuck the Tories.

Cheers.
    Can definitely see that being abused. Real families will benefit from free internet and extended child care instead so I imagine wont be too affected in the long run.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I can't see how it could be abused anymore than any other tax avoidance scheme to be honest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Here's the basics, so it's only £250 max.
    Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,250 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner - if they earn more than you.

This reduces their tax by up to £250 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

This guide is also available in Welsh (Cymraeg).

To benefit as a couple, you (as the lower earner) must normally have an income below your Personal Allowance - this is usually £12,500.
  • Edit: you answered betterer
    Cheers
  • I still don't understand
    Spoiler:
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Yes, because your mother wants grandchildren!
  • My sister has a bloke, why can't she fucking get on with it and breed.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Marriage Allowance lets you transfer £1,250 of your Personal Allowance to your husband, wife or civil partner - if they earn more than you.

This reduces their tax by up to £250 in the tax year (6 April to 5 April the next year).

To benefit as a couple, you (as the lower earner) must normally have an income below your Personal Allowance - this is usually £12,500.

Nngg whaaaat I should do this
  • Confirmed, muzzy's husband earns way more than him
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:

Nngg whaaaat I should do this

https://www.gov.uk/apply-marriage-allowance
    You can backdate your claim to include any tax year since 5 April 2015 that you were eligible for Marriage Allowance.
  • I think you've all missed the point of the story.

If the rich fucker didn't come along throwing his money around, a pint wouldn't cost £10 in the first place.
    SFV - reddave360
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Quickest flounce ever?

No real need for that. Hopefully she'll be back.

I hope so to, but it was a massive over reaction. We don't need to pander to it as if it's reasonable behaviour.

I'm not pandering to anything. I just think there's no need to mock, particularly given, well, the history of antisemitism that almost certainly plays a party in her reaction (regardless of the fact I don't think anyone was topping that up).
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Fair enough. I think it was a massive over reaction to a fairly innocuous question, I don't think we've ever been shy about letting people know that before.
  • Anyhoo, I like Kara. Quality poster. Hopefully she'll be back soon.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I’m pretty sure Kara has been (repeatedly) hounded out of twitter by numerous anti-semites, and still gets regular grief about it. While nobody here can be expected to know that, and her reaction did seem sudden and extreme, it’s also understandable that she’s going to be sensitive to the subject. It’s easy to flare up at something that seems insignificant to others when there’s a whole load of history behind it.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    If no one ever told you you were over reacting, how would you ever know you were?
  • Andy wrote:
    I’m pretty sure Kara has been (repeatedly) hounded out of twitter by numerous anti-semites, and still gets regular grief about it. While nobody here can be expected to know that, and her reaction did seem sudden and extreme, it’s also understandable that she’s going to be sensitive to the subject. It’s easy to flare up at something that seems insignificant to others when there’s a whole load of history behind it.

Yeah I sent her a PM saying it's no big deal, if she is real and not your alt, it is gonna take a while to catch up to posting here, which goes back to what, 2005?

Don't Twitter
  • This so scary to all sorts of people, but especially Griff.

Hey Griff, I'll buy you a pint after 12 Dec mate
    Spoiler:

I will always buy you a pint.
  • There are many reasons I can't bear to watch Question Time. This guy in the audience makes me want to strangle him, and his smug wife.

toss pot

But the worst aspect is how badly Burgon (who remember, is a member of the shadow cabinet and should know his shit) handles it, even when the points have been clarified. The answer is direct and easy: 

"you're wrong. If you earn more than £80K you are in the top 5%, this is a simple fact, and your wrong opinion on the matter is not relevant. And as someone who earns in the top 5%, are you really making such a fuss about a few hundred quid a year? Because that reflects on you buddy, not our tax policy." Shut that shit down, then and only then should he ponce on about billionaires and corporations.

Our politicians, or at least the ones shoved on camera, are simply not educated, smart, or brave enough, and QT proves this week after week until I crai
  • Yeah, a decisive politician comes across well, but the bumbling ‘don’t want to offend a potential voter’, skirting around the issue politician just makes it worse, even if they happen to be correct.

Although to be fair I don’t think that couple would have been placated by anything. Utterly oblivious to conditions beyond their own front door.

Question Time is unbearable though, I can’t sit through five minutes without imagining taking a machine gun and spraying it around like Tony Montana, guests & audience.

EDIT: plus the obvious Tory plants you see each & every week.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!