The British Politics Thread
  • End of every May speech.

"I will now take questions. Laura..."
  • It may be an offence to communicate any information obtained at postal vote opening sessions, including about votes cast, before a poll has closed. Anyone with information to suggest this has happened should report it immediately to the police.
    https://twitter.com/ElectoralCommUK/status/1204790546675437573

Oh dear Laura.
  • What you wiggin' out for monkey
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • This is the mentality we’re up against. Loads of this is being shared on my Twitter feed. It’s been there all year, but it’s ramped up alarmingly this week.
    Spoiler:
  • There's nothing like that on my Twitter or FB, thankfully.
  • None of that on mine either. It's alarming that people eat it hook, line and sinker though.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    No one says cunt as fluidly as the east coast of Scotland
    The west coast would like a word with you.
    Lived in the Aberdeen and Glasgow - no contest on the swearing front
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • I use my Twitter account mainly to follow people re investments and trading. “Business and economy” focused people. So I do get that kind of crap forward / retweeted.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • My work place is full of Tory supporters.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I noticed, from the beginning of Brexit nonsense onwards, that having a lot of ‘car enthusiasts’ on my Twitter feed means that I have a lot of folk in the south of England with more money than sense. I also follow quite a lot of ex-forces guys thanks to mutual motorsport connections.

All of them are prime Tory voters – and though I didn’t know it beforehand, I certainly do now. I opted to carry on following them so that I could see what sort of chat they get up to. The level of entitlement and brazen selfishness on show is quite eye-opening.
  • Sadly, I have a few too thanks to Rangers, which is as fucking stupid as it gets. Muted or unfollowed.
  • poprock wrote:
    I noticed, from the beginning of Brexit nonsense onwards, that having a lot of ‘car enthusiasts’ on my Twitter feed means that I have a lot of folk in the south of England with more money than sense.

This little bubble of people represent some of the biggest twats I have met or seen post on social media.
    I have a couple of mates big into their cars (one runs a pretty big classic meet), as is my brother. They are all O.K but the people commenting on their posts are often absolute morons. 
    Car forums are bad as well, armchair experts on everything.
  • Sadly, I have a few too thanks to Rangers, which is as fucking stupid as it gets. Muted or unfollowed.
    Guess they are looking for a distraction from football this week
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Kazuo wrote:

Hey me too, and you're absolutely right. Glasgow walks it, no contest. ;-)

On the social media front, I realised years ago that anyone spouting racist/Tory/Brexit rubbish on Twitter almost inevitably has a bio that reads something like "Straight-talking dad, beer drinking, car driving, hate snowflakes and lefties, love *insert football team here* Brexit til I die". The subjects are all connected now in my head.
  • Yeah, but … y’know … I quite like beer. And cars. Yet I manage to get by without being a selfish Tory shithouse.

It’s an unpleasant reality check when you find out some of your friends are arseholes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:
    Kazuo wrote:

Hey me too, and you're absolutely right. Glasgow walks it, no contest. ;-)

On the social media front, I realised years ago that anyone spouting racist/Tory/Brexit rubbish on Twitter almost inevitably has a bio that reads something like "Straight-talking dad, beer drinking, car driving, hate snowflakes and lefties, love Newcastle United, Brexit til I die". The subjects are all connected now in my head.

Although I'm not on any social media except here and an infrequent spot of Reddit lurking.

The snowflakes thing is an odd one because if they're a genuine wet blanket then fair enough but the term often gets bandied about when you challenge racism or some other broken brain shite, so in that much wider misuse of the term it can fuck off. The biggest actual snowflakes tend to be the right wing tits like Trump flapping about trivial stuff like his small hands thing.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    I suppose WhatsApp counts too dunnit. I might have to pull the plug on the big group. Too many bird brained gobshites.
  • Yeah that is the irony of the snowflake slur.
    It takes guts to put your head above the parapet, to fight for the rights of others, to be willing to pay more tax so others can live better etc etc.

These people get all in a tizzy because someone is selling a bean burger.
  • Not eating meat is the sign of snow flake behaviour
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Kazuo wrote:

Tempy wrote:
    East Coast is soft as shit pass it on

Absolute nae chance lads, fuckin jog on.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message

I posted this in the tinfoil hat thread earlier, but it works just as well in here when talking about how and why people fall for the bullshit they see on social media and in the press.

It's still important to call out bullshit when you see it though.

The human mind is a pretty stupid thing. Here's a few reasons why just discussing crazy things, without a counter argument, can be dangerous;

When it comes to believing something of which you personally have no way of verifying:

• Multiple sources are more persuasive than a single source, especially if those sources contain different arguments that point to the same conclusion.
    • Receiving the same or similar message from multiple sources is more persuasive.
    • People assume that information from multiple sources is likely to be based on different perspectives and as such worth greater consideration.
    • Communications from groups to which the recipient belongs are more likely to be perceived as credible. The same applies when the source is perceived as similar to the recipient.

Now, let's talk about just talking about stuff:

• Repeated exposure to a statement has been shown to increase its acceptance as true.
    • The “illusory truth effect” is well documented, whereby people rate statements as more truthful, valid, and believable when they have encountered those statements previously than when they are new statements.
    • When people are less interested in a topic, they are more likely to accept familiarity brought about by repetition as an indicator that the information (repeated to the point of familiarity) is correct.
    • When processing information, people often save time and energy by using a frequency heuristic (favoring information they have heard more frequently).
    • Even with preposterous stories and urban legends, those who have heard them multiple times are more likely to believe that they are true.
    • If an individual is already familiar with an argument or claim (has seen it before, for example), they process it less carefully, often failing to discriminate weak arguments from strong arguments.

But we all know its bollocks right? It's just a bit of fun, no one really believes the crazy stuff, right? :

• In a phenomenon known as the “sleeper effect,” low- credibility sources manifest greater persuasive impact with the passage of time. While people make initial assessments of the credibility of a source, in remembering, information is often dissociated from its source. Thus, information from a questionable source may be remembered as true, with the source forgotten.
    • Information that is initially assumed valid but is later retracted or proven false can continue to shape people’s memory and influence their reasoning.
    • Even when people are aware that some sources have the potential to contain misinformation, they still show a poor ability to discriminate between information that is false and information that is correct.

Yeah, but we have evidence, and expert witnesses!" There's a reason why people who are trying to convince you of a conspiracy theory claim they have 'evidence' when they don't, and that people are 'experts' when thay aren't:

• The presence of evidence can override the effects of source credibility on perceived veracity of statements.
    • In courtroom simulations, witnesses who provide more details—even trivial details—are judged to be more credible.
    • Peripheral cues, such as the appearance of expertise or the format of information, lead people to accept—with little reflection—that the information comes from a credible source.
    • Expertise and trustworthiness are the two primary dimensions of credibility, and these qualities may be evaluated based on visual cues, such as format, appearance, or simple claims of expertise.

• Tempy wrote:
    Not eating meat is the sign of snow flake behaviour

"YOUR SOY FACE, SOLDIER! LET ME SEE IT!"
    Gamertag: gremill
  • BBC reporter:

"if Boris wins the majority he so deserves"

https://twitter.com/thepileus/status/1204845723491196928
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • My Facebook account was full of Tory voters who would regularly spout that kind of drivel
    LivDiv wrote:
    poprock wrote:
    I noticed, from the beginning of Brexit nonsense onwards, that having a lot of ‘car enthusiasts’ on my Twitter feed means that I have a lot of folk in the south of England with more money than sense.

This little bubble of people represent some of the biggest twats I have met or seen post on social media.
    I have a couple of mates big into their cars (one runs a pretty big classic meet), as is my brother. They are all O.K but the people commenting on their posts are often absolute morons. 
    Car forums are bad as well, armchair experts on everything.

My Facebook account was full of Tory voters who would regularly spout that kind of drivel.
    People I liked, people I enjoyed spending time with and some people I looked up to.
    Once I started seeing all of that shite being shared by them I realised how wrong I was. It’s perfectly possible to be friends with someone and still disagree with their politics but I’ve gotta be honest, some of this has helped to see their true colours.

So I’ve deactivated my FB account. I can’t stand seeing all that shite from the people I know.
    Who needs it.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I've had very little on it tbh. Although I had a huge cull a while back which will have helped.

I did go on earlier and had a genuine Con advert which showed because my aunt likes the Cons apparently.
    This seems highly suspect given she was die hard SNP when living in Scotland and since moving to Austria has been extremely anti Brexit.
  • Oh Corbyn is in my town just around the corner this evening.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Go say hi and sing the song.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Kiss him for me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!