The British Politics Thread
  • LivDiv wrote:
    She's a smug cunt
    I'd counsel not for people to say the c word. In 2016, watching the election coverage, I couldn't believe what I was hearing so I went on twitter. Reams of tweets protesting, deriding and chastising the BBC and her in particular. As usual, the c word and other misogynistic behaviour crept into the odd tweet.

One hour later, the entire hashtag was gone from trending, tweets were hidden or deleted. BBC had some people completely on it.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • Ie I'm being criticized for my gender/sex, not my conduct.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I always feel a little uncomfortable with ‘cunt’ as a derogatory term, because it’s so gendered and our society is patriarchal. I’m much more comfortable with the Glaswegian tendency to use it as casual punctuation instead. 

Discussion around use of the C word is always interesting, but maybe something for another thread. I dunno.
  • Twitter is a cunt as well.
  • Technically yes but i think also messing about with such things (is this word acceptable etc) kind of symptomatic of our inability to really cut through every person.

Rich people are speaking to and fucking swathes of people while we mess around with the form of rhetoric.
  • Gonz’ point was a good practical one though. Try not to use words that could be censored on social media because it leaves you open to being, y’know, censored.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The C word is still very barbed.  I don't associate gender with it when used as an insult but I can see why it best to avoid on social media.

I think we in NI say it better. Similar to the Scots - a real hard "U".

ye c*** ye
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I'll avoid using it on Twitter by continuing to avoid doing anything on Twitter.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Twitter features the most horrific UI I have ever had the displeasure to experience.

Totally counter intuitive and the whole thing looks a real unfathomable mess. Maybe that's intentional due to the free-roaming style of it - but I loathe it.
  • poprock wrote:
    I always feel a little uncomfortable with ‘cunt’ as a derogatory term, because it’s so gendered and our society is patriarchal. I’m much more comfortable with the Glaswegian tendency to use it as casual punctuation instead. 

Discussion around use of the C word is always interesting, but maybe something for another thread. I dunno.

I have less issue with the gendered aspect, because we don’t just use female genitalia as derogatory terms. For every cunt, fud and vagina there’s a dick, cock, penis, bell-end and scrote. And while cunt seems to have the most impact, there is parity; cunt, cock and to some extent dick all suggest active douchbaggery, while penis, bell-end, fud and vagina are more descriptive of someone demonstrating ineptitude. Dick-head can go either way (although it’s partner, fud-face, is also on the passive side) while scrote has classist connotations that I can’t think has a female equivalent.
  • Why we choose swear words is absolutely fascinating, but again I’m wary of sidetracking here. We’ve got a fucking election to worry about, y’know.
  • Probably best not to worry about it. I like to think this when I feel my most sad about everything

1) Germany came out of being split in half and is a fully functioning reasonable country.

2) in the financial crisis Iceland was fucked and also seems like a reasonable place now.

So we have to keep hoping.

No doubt I am caricaturable as one of the stupid animals in animal farm but for me it has to be the right frame of mind.
  • We do have to keep hoping, yes. But we’re the generation who have to try and survive the fucked period, not the ones who live happily after it self-repairs.

Also, remember that we’re about to kill the entire planet and our selfish little Government are planning to do sweet fuck all about it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Good discussion around a word, but I'll be honest, probably considering Scottish / female principal reporter bias, I hadn't realised the extent of the Kuenssberg Look Aid drinking until this election. It's positively frothing. And there must must be people at the BBC starting to think that this reporter is not good for business.
  • poprock wrote:
    We do have to keep hoping, yes. But we’re the generation who have to try and survive the fucked period, not the ones who live happily after it self-repairs.

Also, remember that we’re about to kill the entire planet and our selfish little Government are planning to do sweet fuck all about it.

The only legitimate recourse to climate change would be to stop buying anything (and therefore import from China)and hope the internet stops being developed (so that there are no more boats on the sea).
  • Probably best not to worry about it. I like to think this when I feel my most sad about everything

1) Germany came out of being split in half and is a fully functioning reasonable country.

2) in the financial crisis Iceland was fucked and also seems like a reasonable place now.

So we have to keep hoping.

No doubt I am caricaturable as one of the stupid animals in animal farm but for me it has to be the right frame of mind.
    Alternatively some countries slide into tyranny and corruption and stay like that for decades. The other issue is that this is really the moment where globally we need to get our shit together. Move onto some next level of human organisation.
  • monkey wrote:
    The other issue is that this is really the moment where globally we need to get our shit together. Move onto some next level of human organisation.

Unfortunately we’re doing quite the opposite.
  • Spraying our shit everywhere.
  • poprock wrote:
    I always feel a little uncomfortable with ‘cunt’ as a derogatory term, because it’s so gendered and our society is patriarchal. I’m much more comfortable with the Glaswegian tendency to use it as casual punctuation instead. 

Been trying to explain to the folk from head office I've had up recently that in Glasgow cunt is, as you said, punctuation, and that calling someone a prick was more likely to get you headbutted. Think they thought I was at the wind up, just to see if they'd do it and get headbutted.
  • I have met Central Belters who consider ‘dafty’ and ‘weapon’ waaay more offensive than any swear word.
  • 88% of conservative Facebook ads contains lies. 0% of Labour's
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • "They're both as bad as each other"
  • I don't really have any family left. Which is a shame because I'd love to punch them for even considering voting not Labour.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    88% of conservative Facebook ads contains lies. 0% of Labour's
    LarryDavid wrote:
    "They're both as bad as each other"
    That seems to be what the BBC has concluded: https://twitter.com/ronanburtenshaw/status/1204434210682998784?s=20

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/technology-50726500?__twitter_impression=true

Ffs.

• Going to suggest that TV is in fact the bad thing here.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    More lack of editorial integrity.
  • Something's integrated into something else alright.
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Tru dat.
  • davyK wrote:
    The C word is still very barbed.  I don't associate gender with it when used as an insult but I can see why it best to avoid on social media. I think we in NI say it better. Similar to the Scots - a real hard "U". ye c*** ye
    No one says cunt as fluidly as the east coast of Scotland
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wee should have cunt - off.  :)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!