XCOM 2
  • Well due to in mission surprises (codex) and WTFing. I've backed out of a mission by using the last home base save. When i try the mission again, this time it isn't timed. Yay!
    I might actually enjoy this one.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Yeah the Codex is a prick. The game excels at that. You need to be super cautious with every action, the game is a box of tricks waiting to blow up in your face.
  • Sheesh, that still took about 5 save point reloads, the first save set at about halfway through the mission. I can see i will be save scumming more than i did in the previous XCom.
    The next mission is also not timed, thank god.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Tips with codex is to not blow ya team wads till they teleport as they often end up in dumb easily flanked positions.
  • @tempy which is kind of at odds to the whole timed objectives thing. Ah well, they've been reasonably timed so far so it's just a matter of getting used to them I guess.

@bollock what triggers
    Spoiler:

I'm not doing great with the good old hit percentage. which is all very xcom familiar.

And what's with the hair styles on your soldiers!?
    They all look like cheap wigs employed by TV studios when the shows protagonist goes and lives in the woods for 8 months due to trauma.

• The reason it is so good is because it is at odds with the timed objectives. OG XCOM was too much resting on your laurels aka inch forward in overwatch. This is harsh, but fair - except those cunting Alien Rulers.

I suspect Hair is at a premium in the world of Advent - all them aliens are bald, amke u think.
  • I am playing xcom on bc bone. I like it. That is all.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Just been catching up on this thread, as I've decided I might be interested in playing this after all. Sounds pretty tough though.
    I echo Panty's countdown concerns though, it gives me the same fear as that isometric spy game did, I've still not played that.
    This is one of the things I don't like the sound of as well, but it's worth mentioning that Invisible Inc. doesn't have any kind of timer. The longer you take in a level the more the security increases (which is a great risk/reward mechanic, because the more loot you try and get from the level the harder your escape becomes), but there's never a time limit on your decisions.
  • Nnnng Stun Troopers.  Nnnnggg.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I can't believe I forgot about this for so long. It's great. Always feel like I'm barely winning.
  • This is SO good but bloody tough. I'm on easy missions at the mo and it ain't easy

Alas after two missions Lt. Worf was murdered by the aliens.
  • Fuck this is so hard. A kill or capture vip mission on easy and I'm really struggling to bring the the whole team home.
  • I know, much to my shame I've bumped it down to easy as i want enjoying it at all in normal.
  • Alas, I've done an Arnold rimmer (red dwarf) and made the not so noble decision of sacrificing the life of erzi dax in a vip assassination mission. Yes the rest ran to the extraction zone whilst ezri bravely went into a club alone to commit the ultimate sacrifice.

That's one smeghead of a commander

That's two deep space nine characters dead, I feel ashamed....
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I never made use of it but apparently one strategy is to intentionally leave certain squaddies behind if a mission has turned sour (instead of having them slain in the line of duty) and you often get a mission later on to rescue them.
  • Nice one @bollockoff will give that a try WHEN the need arises (which will be soon) lol
  • This game is a major time sink ala football manager. My entire day has gone. I started playing at 11am and it's now 8pm! Where the hell did my day go?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Into Xcom.
  • Into several mission restarts after scrubbing your whole team?
  • pantyfire wrote:
    Into several mission restarts after scrubbing your whole team?

Several mid-mission restarts
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Iron Man is the only way. When yer dead, yer dead.
  • I did Iron Man in the last game, feck that was hard. Overwatch the entire team on nearly every move. I name my team with characters from Star Trek going backwards through the TV series. By the end of XCOM 1 i was struggling to find re-occuring Star Trek the Original Series characters who hadn't already been murdered.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I believe the fashion here was to name all your team after forum members and then tell us all how we died. That was entertaining reading.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Mod died on the second mission on Enemy Unknown, he fired twice but unfortunately couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Webbins was a crack sniper but Hands of Blue was awesome, a great support and my first Psionic.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Gman was the worst support ever - never hit a single thing, always panicked and ran away.
  • I may have to restart on a lower difficultly level. I have to hit a black site and all my experienced soldiers are dead and I have two m.i.a.

So frecking tough on default difficulty
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    My Tempy died to a drone in the third before last mission.
  • Just started this on PS4. It's good innit. Surprised I've never played an X-Com before seeing as it's the sort of game I'd usually be into, but just hadn't got round to it. Not sure I care much about the resource management side of things though - I'd prefer to concentrate on the missions themselves, and it's a bit cut-scene heavy so far.

Started on Easy just to get the hang of things, but will probably go up a notch after a while. Already lost one recruit in the first 4 or 5 missions and had another injured, so it was probably a good idea.
  • @JonB Yeh easy is the way to go. Learn the game and all the options (labs etc). Then start a new game on a harder difficulty with ironman mode enabled. That takes the game to a whole new level.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!