Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Get ready to hear the phrase "Come together as a nation" a lot.
    Seems to be the Tory cabinet buzz phrase for 2019 already.

Leadsom says we need to come together as a nation, in the previous sentence she said voting against May's deal undermines democracy.

What they really mean of course is "get in line plebs"
  • We do need MPs to show some backbone here.

Oh.

(I still think it'll get through Parliament.)
  • Anyway no fuck you May and Leadsom.

You're the ones flinging words like traitors at anyone opposing this shambles. Come together my arse. Your language has been divisive from day 2.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    "look, we've made a decision to amputate this arm. Just because we now know that the arm is actually OK is irrelevant. The doctors made a decision and we must carry out that decision. To ask the doctors for a second opinion, now they have more information, just wouldn't be in the interests of the patient".
  • It’s ironic that they’re preaching unity.
  • I'd say desperate.
    Quite what she is attempting to achieve in these reassurances is beyond me but reports suggest she has achieved nothing.
    Not something that won't make a difference but literally nothing has changed.
  • Brexiters are fucking mental
    The Conservative MP Andrew Bridgen said the message had been “a betrayal of democracy”, telling the Sun: “It’s low, it’s very low to politicise what is an international public event.”

Roger Helmer, a former Conservative MEP who defected to Ukip, tweeted: “While the UK is locked in critical negotiations with Brussels, Sadiq Khan chooses to display the other side’s flag on the London Eye. Would he have shown an Argentinian flag during the Falklands War?”
  • After careful consideration I've come to the view that remainers need to get round this deal. If I were a MP I'd vote for it.

Honestly, the alternative is, at best, more damaging uncertainty as the art 50 period is extended. In the meantime Europe is witnessing a dangerous swing towards white supremacist views being legitimised.

At worst, hard Brexit will see rioting.

So I'd vote for this deal, no question.
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • I'd vote not to leave.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • We've left already, in reality. We've shown we are not reliable partners. We would never again have the same influence remaining. It's done. The ex-spook Tory minister whose name I forget convinced me.

I also don't think you realise how much hatred is waiting to be unleashed in case of a "betrayal". May's compromise, and a massive, Marshall plan style plan for the north and other white working class is what it will take to fix this country. It'll take 20 years.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The E.U. have said repeatedly that they’re open to us rescinding article 50, the door is not closed.

And yes, there’ll be issues if this is overturned, but there’ll be plenty of issues if we go through with May’s deal too when companies start shutting up their U.K. operations and tens of thousands of people start losing their jobs.

There’s no good route out from here, remaining is the least-worst, IMO.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The betrayal chat would at least be softened by a second referendum showing a majority for remain. Hard to argue that leave is democratic at that point, you'd hope.
  • They won't go for that. They'll argue the second referendum was rigged etc.

Plus I'm not sure a second referendum would lead to a remain vote. The Greeks voted "fuck you" to the EU even as the ATMs were switched off. Tsipras then capitulated.

Never underestimate the power of "fuck you". Some have nothing to lose, or so they think. Others think the coming strife will turn them from losers into the vanguard of a new nationalism.

I've done a deep dive into this. They're actual neo Nazis. We can't deliver the white working class to them. That's stupid.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Well the first referendum was rigged
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    It's certainly tricky. I agree all options are crap. I think that remaining has the best potential, but none are plain sailing.
  • It might not lead to a remain vote. It definitely won't if you don't have one, and it legitimises May's turd of a deal if that wins, so Parliament then has to pass it. I genuinely see no downside to a confirmation referendum.
  • I don't give two fucks what moronic brexiteers want or what they think of another referendum.

The backstop deal is indefinite, it doesn't solve NI. It is an indefinite holding pattern that will fuck any form of investment or trade deals until it is resolved, which is never.

I wouldn't wipe my arse with it let alone back it.
  • We should remain or hand it to Reese Mogg and let him tie his noose so he can hang himself along with the rest of the wretched alt right.
  • Well if there is another referendum, we're gonna have to accept as a nation that there are going to be dissidents for 20-30 years. Maybe even right wing terrorists
  • Yeah.

And I don't understand why the anger of Brexitwats is supposed to be feared more than the anger of Remainers.

There's a lot of fury on both sides.

Nobody should support this deal. It's literally the worst of both worlds. Neither fully in with all the benefits and commitments, not fully out with actual autonomy and control. It's fucking mental.

The only thing this deal has going for it is that it exists, and the idea of walking off the cliff without any solution to the huge gap that a true no deal would bring is worse. If that's the best argument for it - guys, vote for this or I'll really have fucked this country for generations and I can't be bothered to stop it from happening via all the myriad legal routes open to us to prevent that - then it deserves to be shat on.

Some Tory tosspots will vote for it, but I hope our elected representatives don't kill this country's future just for fear of a few right wing headlines.
  • I don't see it.
    I think it is massively overblown how much support there is at that level.

Even then, a threat of violence is never a reason to not do the correct thing for the country. If we are held to ransom by a small minority who would try to use violence then we truly are fucked.
    What happens next? What happens when they want us to round up Muslims? Or take businesses off the Polish?
  • I don’t think the deal is all that bad tbh. What comes after could be. It locks us into the EU which is what we (Remain people) want. To get out of it we need to offer the EU a better deal for them than to have us in a permanent transition or the backstop. And that doesn’t seem likely.

The problem being that, if the deal goes through, we’re still going on about Brexit, you’ve still got the Tories negotiating away the more progressive arrangements we’re part of, there’s still nothing getting done about schools, hospitals etc.

The betrayal narrative is set now whatever happens. Remain = betrayal. Shit deal = betrayal. Whatever happens the ERG, UKIPs and EDLs will use it to shit stir. But Remain is the riskiest because it’s a single focal crunch point instead of a slow and steady slide into decline.
  • And Remain and a shit deal are both huge betrayals on what was promised.
  • The deal is a disaster for services. A total fucking disaster.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    A ref is fine so long as the cohort is the same and the options are clear

It's deffo a ref, there's nowhere near enough support for tour withdrawl agreement
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • WorKid wrote:
    The deal is a disaster for services. A total fucking disaster.

I agree but it’s so ridiculous that I can’t see that standing. There’s a two year transition period to agree a full fat trading deal. Which will be missed. It’ll be 5-10 years down the line before any of that comes in. Then who knows where we’ll be.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I don't see it.
    I think it is massively overblown how much support there is at that level.

Even then, a threat of violence is never a reason to not do the correct thing for the country. If we are held to ransom by a small minority who would try to use violence then we truly are fucked.
    What happens next? What happens when they want us to round up Muslims? Or take businesses off the Polish?

Trust me, it's always best to head off these challenges. I'm not saying we should give in, but the clever thing to do is not to give them a base. And basically the white working class could be their base. At best they'll think "bunch of bastards but we'll get a better deal than under the other lot"

I'll admit that I may not be entirely proportional. But I've seen on YouTube some worrying stuff. And a friend of mine has gone completely alt right.

It's worrying stuff.

• monkey wrote:
    WorKid wrote:
    The deal is a disaster for services. A total fucking disaster.

I agree but it’s so ridiculous that I can’t see that standing. There’s a two year transition period to agree a full fat trading deal. Which will be missed. It’ll be 5-10 years down the line before any of that comes in. Then who knows where we’ll be.

If the Tories see sense (See May's first speech as PM), or Corbo gets in, that 5-10 year period will see a vastly fairer distribution of wealth and opportunity in the deprived areas. Sure, as a whole we'll be less rich. But it gives us a chance.

We can't go on fuckinh over the white working class. It's fucking suicidal.

I've come to the view that Brexit is a symptom of something much more serious in the country
  • What percentage of the leave vote was actually white working class? 

Like the majority leave vote came from over 40s and OAPs. 

What? Are they going to skinhead up and take to the streets if we stay in Europe? Oooooooh I'm fucking shaking.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Well you’d hope that alongside remaining there would be a big push to address the feelings that drove the leave vote in the first place, investment in public services, money for community projects, stuff like that.

If we take a shit deal because it’s the only thing on offer and it turns out to be shit, there’s going to be very little governmental bandwidth left over to deal with these issues, and the far-right will be more than ready to exploit the issues that are created by a shit for their own ends too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!