• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    RedDave2 wrote:
    So... am I right in thinking there is only two options here? Go GE and let a new government push the WA through or go no deal, or go peoples referendum with choice between no deal and WA?

Surely the current government cant continue? It will achieve nothing.

There are more options than that, including a referendum with WA vs remain and revoking Article 50.

As for the government not being able to continue, fuck knows. May shouldn’t still be able to still be clinging on, but she is.
  • I hope someone's done a big list of all the "After latest development May is finally finished" articles from the last couple of years.
  • I’ve run out of ‘free articles’ I can read on Bloomberg. The coverage by Bloomberg Brexit has been the only sane and clear press coverage I’ve found all the way through this debacle. I think I might actually pay for continued access.
  • Is it possible to have sane coverage of Brexit? Like trying to derive sense from randomly reconfiguring tea leaves.
  • Is it possible to have sane coverage of Brexit? Like trying to derive sense from randomly reconfiguring tea leaves.

I’ve been enjoying headlines like this from last night: “Macron Gets on Everyone’s Nerves With Brexit Tough Guy Act”

And ledes like this: “Theresa May dined apart from the other European leaders on Wednesday night, as has become her standard treatment at recent summits.”

(Turns out I can still sign up for Bloomberg’s daily Brexit Bulletin email without needing to pay anything. I’m into that. One hit of news a day, thanks.)
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    I’ve run out of ‘free articles’ I can read on Bloomberg. The coverage by Bloomberg Brexit has been the only sane and clear press coverage I’ve found all the way through this debacle. I think I might actually pay for continued access.

Private browsing window, if that doesn’t work, clear your cookies. Your Bloomberg ones at least.
  • Roujin wrote:
    You've got to give these people a way of climbing down and keeping their dignity otherwise there's no chance.
    No. I cannot forgive their greed or their ignorance depending on their reasons for voting leave in the face of such an important referendum. Their change of heart/ mind should be noted and then they should just be left to think about what they've done. Unless they are a prominent media cunt and then imma fucking get in dat ass 24/7 for the rest of time every time I hear their fucking name mentioned.
    You have become part of the problem.
  • So be it. You don't get to vote like a dickhead and keep your dignity.

This isn't like oh shit racist uncle Trevor voted UKIP in his local council elections fuckery, this is permanently damaging the UK with your vote fuckery. 

If we leave and Scotland leave the union, that's on the leave voters. If we leave and the arse falls out of the economy that's on the leave voters. If we end up remaining and the only thing that happens is it takes X years for the country to undo the damage done in the last 3 years that's also going to be on the leave voters.

No way after all this fucking horse wankery am I going just going to forgive and forget. I'll keep it civil sure for my racist uncle Trevor, except in the case of the Ferrari's and the Rees Moggs and the Johnsons of the world who rightly deserve to be reminded frequently, and often about how fucking stupid they are and the damage they caused to this country.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • The question is do you want people to change their minds or not?

If you want us to remain, the answer is yes. To do that you need to allow them to back down. Continued hostility means they will dig in.
  • I already said they can change their minds, I'm just not going to be all "oh well done you" about it. 

For the media leave mouth pieces that managed to convince people into believing their bullshit there will be no civilities at all.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Continued hostility means they will dig in.

This conflicts with every time I was taught to ‘stand up to bullies’.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    At least be civil until its fixed. The worms won't turn if they think they'll just be pecked to death.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    poprock wrote:
    Continued hostility means they will dig in.

This conflicts with every time I was taught to ‘stand up to bullies’.

But being hostile to those that have, or are in the process of, changed their mind is likely to make them change it back, and convince other people not to in the first place.
  • This is starting to sound like remainers are going to be blamed for there not being a second referendum by not being nice enough to the leave voters to make them want to admit they did an oopsie in the polling booth in sufficient numbers to make the referendum a viable option in a future labour/conservative manifesto.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not at all, but what are you hoping to achieve?
  • I think an expression of hostility/anger is fine if it's accompanied by reasoning and discussion. Better to try and figure out how to get through to people dispassionately where possible though.
  • Not at all, but what are you hoping to achieve?

Make the leave voters feel really bad for fucking up the country? 

You know how when you were little your mum was like, "little Rouj, don't jump on the sofa kthx", but you fucking jumped on the sofa anyway cos it was lit af except you accidentally knocked mums favourite lamp off the side table and it broke and mum is deffo gonna tell dad when he gets home and like it's march the 29th and oh shit dad's gonna be home any minute, oh shit April 12th he's coming up the drivewayyyyy, fuck it's June the first and he's opening the front door, shit now it's halloween and Dad is telling it like it is and I don't really feel like jumping on the sofa anymore after this, plus mum looks hella upset about the lamp I think she really loved that lamp and now I broke it.

Edit: This is a true lil Rouj story, I still think about that lamp 33 years on.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cool story, but it's not really analogues. The lamps not broken yet, it's tumbling, but you could help catch it. If mum is already bollocking you you might decide to let it fall anyway.

Dad will still bollock you regardless when he gets in, but you don't need to know that while the lamp is falling.
  • This lamp is falling for a long fucking time. 
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • What if your Mum was David Cameron and she’d spent the past 6 years starving you, stealing your stuff and lying through her/his teeth. Still give a shit about the lamp? Maybe you’re actually pleased that you’ve upset your Mum David Cameron and gained some small sliver of agency and influence over your dire existence.
  • I want higher taxes on corporations. I vote for a party that offers it. They balls it up completely, slapping a 90% tax on all corporate entities, completely contrary to how they said they’d do it. It’s a fucking disaster - money starts pouring out of Britain and all the neoliberals start crowing how they were right all along. I concede I shouldn’t have voted for this, not that I was wrong about higher tax but the clowns implementing it have got no idea how to make it work. In steps the right-wing equivalent of Rouj - “Not good enough. Admit that corporations are gods and taxing them is an insult. Apologise to my son Tarquinius for the mild economic disruption affecting his trust funds performance. Now grovel before me.”

It’s not going to happen is it? Right or wrong, people wanted to leave and, while there probably isn’t a good Leave, there’s no reason it needed to be ballsed up this badly.
  • I agree some need to be put in a flaming dog shit bin and never forgiven - namely Ferrari, Mogg, Farage, Johnson, Gove, Hartley-Brewer, Fox, Raab, Leadsom, Hoey, Stuart, the Wetherspoons poor man’s Peter Stringfellow (who at least deserves recognition for finding a tier below Stringfellow), a full purge of the ERGers - Cash, Francois, “Brexit Hardman Steve Baker” and the rest. Then onto the offices of the Mail, Express, Telegraph and Sun for a pretty comprehensive round up.

These people are liars. They’re not wrong like a Leave voter, they’re liars.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    pantyfire wrote:
    This lamp is falling for a long fucking time. 
    Nooooooooooooooooooooo.

It's roujs lamp, ask him.
  • monkey wrote:
    What if your Mum was David Cameron

U WOT M8.

Thanks for the analysis of the story though dudes.

In my head, my mum is the rational bit of the UK that votes remain, yung rouj is the leave voters enjoying the sunny uplands of the cake and eat it sofa trampoline, the lamp is the UK, daddy is the existential latent rage of the remain voters who are too busy mourning their broken country. Sure, dad will ultimately go on to superglue the pieces of the lamp back together but they're never going to be the same as it would have been if the leave voters didn't jump on the sofa because they have the mental ability of a 5 year old when it comes to understanding the consequences of their actions (insert sonic rage kid video here).
  • monkey wrote:
    I agree some need to be put in a flaming dog shit bin and never forgiven - namely Ferrari, Mogg, Farage, Johnson, Gove, Hartley-Brewer, Fox, Raab, Leadsom, Hoey, Stuart, the Wetherspoons poor man’s Peter Stringfellow (who at least deserves recognition for finding a tier below Stringfellow), a full purge of the ERGers - Cash, Francois, “Brexit Hardman Steve Baker” and the rest. Then onto the offices of the Mail, Express, Telegraph and Sun for a pretty comprehensive round up. These people are liars. They’re not wrong like a Leave voter, they’re liars.
    This. Most people that voted leave did so cos they thought that was best, cos that's what the 'news' they saw, and the people they listened to, told them was fact.
    Telling them they're wrong is hard enough. Insisting that they're either a moron or a racist, and they have to specify which and apologise before they can change their mind, isn't going to encourage anyone to change their mind.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    In my story, rouj doesn't break the lamp, he helps his mum catch the falling lamp. His dad comes home and tells him off for nearly breaking the lamp, but then they sit down, turn on the unbroken lamp and read a nice book by its light, his mum doesn't resent him and they all live happily ever after.

The End.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    In my story, Ragin’ Roujin is running around lamping leavers.
  • The problem with all this shit is that the rational desire to compromise does nothing to suppress my emotional desire to be fucking furious. I can’t sit back and accept that people who were convinced to shoot themselves in the head now need to be compromised with, let’s all only shoot half our head off, we can reach an agreement.

This is said with love, but the comfort and security that allows people to dispassionately preach about the need to be compassionate with people who voted Leave is a privilege that not everyone has. I certainly don’t have it.

Maybe it’s through lack of true hard graft, maybe it’s just through complacency or laziness, or an inability to stop being a wide eyed dreamy moron and read the political landscape a decade ago and realise the country was going to keep voting against my interests, and the interests of many other young people, but I am in a rotten situation that I doubt is unique to me. Living a snivelling, scrabbling existence, but lucky enough to be university educated, watching the absolute fucking farce that is Brexit destroy a country, destroy futures, destroy security and the notion of acceptance of a european partner, european friends, watching talented people have to give up and accept a life of drudgery because of a political class that refuse to do anything but perform self interest. Watching the rise of idiots like Toby Young, Marc Francois, Nigel Farage, all idiots who fail constantly upwards whilst bright and passionate people succeed downwards into every more miserable situations.

It’s just impossible to be rational, impossible to approach it from a rational angle. Reading this thread is like reading people discuss fucking Game of Thrones, it’s all theory crafting about stuff that has such a low impact on people’s lives that it has become entertainment. My heart goes out to those of you that have kids whose futures are likely to be utterly fucked in some way, but there are less well off people who have been born into a world of flux and instability that are fucked now and are fucked for years to come and will potentially live and die totally fucked by a hapless, lying political elite and the stupid people who voted to shoot themselves in the face, and I just cannot compromise with that. At the very least all I can do is just let it build up inside and vent it here, and grit my teeth at my stupid belligerent family who I love despite the fact they voted to shit all over the future of people I chose to love. We’re living in a world of madness, but it’s worth remembering sometimes that the extras are real people, and not all of us have the luxury of theorising what this might do to the county, but have to practically face the reality of what it might actually do to the banal day to day existence and boring penny pinching we have to do every single exhausting week.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!