Brexit: Boris' Big Belgian Bangers
  • Obviously this is a moronic childish view to have, but it’s the one I have.
  • In my story, enough people change their mind and we stay in the EU.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The problem with all this shit is that the rational desire to compromise does nothing to suppress my emotional desire to be fucking furious. I can’t sit back and accept that people who were convinced to shoot themselves in the head now need to be compromised with, let’s all only shoot half our head off, we can reach an agreement.

This is said with love, but the comfort and security that allows people to dispassionately preach about the need to be compassionate with people who voted Leave is a privilege that not everyone has. I certainly don’t have it.

Maybe it’s through lack of true hard graft, maybe it’s just through complacency or laziness, or an inability to stop being a wide eyed dreamy moron and read the political landscape a decade ago and realise the country was going to keep voting against my interests, and the interests of many other young people, but I am in a rotten situation that I doubt is unique to me. Living a snivelling, scrabbling existence, but lucky enough to be university educated, watching the absolute fucking farce that is Brexit destroy a country, destroy futures, destroy security and the notion of acceptance of a european partner, european friends, watching talented people have to give up and accept a life of drudgery because of a political class that refuse to do anything but perform self interest. Watching the rise of idiots like Toby Young, Marc Francois, Nigel Farage, all idiots who fail constantly upwards whilst bright and passionate people succeed downwards into every more miserable situations.

It’s just impossible to be rational, impossible to approach it from a rational angle. Reading this thread is like reading people discuss fucking Game of Thrones, it’s all theory crafting about stuff that has such a low impact on people’s lives that it has become entertainment. My heart goes out to those of you that have kids whose futures are likely to be utterly fucked in some way, but there are less well off people who have been born into a world of flux and instability that are fucked now and are fucked for years to come and will potentially live and die totally fucked by a hapless, lying political elite and the stupid people who voted to shoot themselves in the face, and I just cannot compromise with that. At the very least all I can do is just let it build up inside and vent it here, and grit my teeth at my stupid belligerent family who I love despite the fact they voted to shit all over the future of people I chose to love. We’re living in a world of madness, but it’s worth remembering sometimes that the extras are real people, and not all of us have the luxury of theorising what this might do to the county, but have to practically face the reality of what it might actually do to the banal day to day existence and boring penny pinching we have to do every single exhausting week.

You page turned your mad self Tempo.
  • Probably where it belonged to be honest.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Obviously this is a moronic childish view to have, but it’s the one I have.
    In my story, enough people change their mind and we stay in the EU.

That's my take. I am mad and furious, but we're not at the event horizon yet (imo). Expressing my fury now is only likely to convince people not to change their mind, so it is self defeating.
  • I don’t care if it’s childish though, is the point. I’ll leave the coddling to the people who are comfy.

The rhetoric is always "how is this helpful? Why aren't you doing more?" Like Adam Curtis, who I love, saying I should give up my life and go and protest 24/7, like in 2019 that's at all possible without mummy and daddy money. It's so patronising.
  • In the privacy of the polling booth, weird things can happen.

Have a look at this docu tempy, cheer yourself up.

https://youtu.be/SWXtbg3gUJw
    Don't wank. Zinc in your sperms
  • These are weird times tempy. Personally I give you credit for not turning fash or amazing things.

I watched labour's election advert two days ago, and almost cried. That's fucked.
  • Like I say, I know it's wrongheaded in some regards, but I just dislike the idea that every can be dispassionate and gently let down the people whose pathetic tantrum has threatened the future of the country and its residents, and has real effects on real lives, same with those who voted Conservative to fuck the benefit scroungers and the immigrants. They have no compassion, so why should I have to pretend I have any? I'll leave that to the people who at the end of the day have their castle and their comfort. Some of us have a right to be furious, and it's the only right I have right now. It keeps me warm.

As you and others have accurately identified though, this new dispassioned low-earning educated class are either going to be hoovered up by some idiotic movement in the future or just go Tory and spite-vote, as I'd wager in a decade or so we'll start to outweigh the low-earning working class.
  • Tempy is daddy now, hide your yung Roujs.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • 10p has gone angry supersayan and I'm a weeping wreck. Thanks brexit
  • Tempy wrote:
    Like I say, I know it's wrongheaded in some regards, but I just dislike the idea that every can be dispassionate and gently let down the people whose pathetic tantrum has threatened the future of the country and its residents, and has real effects on real lives, same with those who voted Conservative to fuck the benefit scroungers and the immigrants. They have no compassion, so why should I have to pretend I have any? I'll leave that to the people who at the end of the day have their castle and their comfort. Some of us have a right to be furious, and it's the only right I have right now. It keeps me warm. As you and others have accurately identified though, this new dispassioned low-earning educated class are either going to be hoovered up by some idiotic movement in the future or just go Tory and spite-vote, as I'd wager in a decade or so we'll start to outweigh the low-earning working class.
    I don't see it as being compassionate, or privileged enough to 'let it slide'. it would be different if this discussion is post 'no deal brexit' and we're saying "never mind all those starving people, let's just get along again". IMO, this is simply the only viable tactic to possibly avoid what you're so angry about. We're at the cliff edge but not quite over. Fight fire with fire and we just get a bigger fire - flipping off all the leavers isn't going to get them to press stop, they'll be too busy flipping back. The only chance is to convince them to change their mind and want to stop, and they won't do that if it involves some kind of public humiliation or admission they're a twat.
    If, and it's a big, unlikely IF, we did get this whole thing to stop....then you can drag the leavers out the car, show them what they almost did, and give the noisy ones a good shoe-ing.
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I’m more talking about the assertion that often gets brought up that people who are furious at this idiocy are not helping, or should have some kind of answer, coming from people who misunderstand the emotional labour it takes to be fucking broke all the time and be still staring down the barrel of a shitty future we didn’t vote for back when the Tories got in with their austerity shit, or with the insanity of leave. I don’t rub my parents or grandparent’s faces in the shits they did on my life, or crow about how stupid they are on social media, but by fuck i’m still furious about it. Leave the heavy lifting to the people who have the time and comfort to do it.
  • The thing is, iirc I don't think there's enough time to organise the second referendum though before October once the recesses are factored in for spring, EU elections and summer.

I think the only revoke chance is if MPs are facing an overwhelming swing to remain from their constituents and someone can raise it and get a vote to revoke A50 passed.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I have no issue with people being angry and venting here among friends. It’s an entirely reasonable reaction.

Roujin wrote:
    The thing is, iirc I don't think there's enough time to organise the second referendum though before October once the recesses are factored in for spring, EU elections and summer.

I think the only revoke chance is if MPs are facing an overwhelming swing to remain from their constituents and someone can raise it and get a vote to revoke A50 passed.

Agreement among parliament to hold a referendum = as much of an extension as is necessary to do so, guaranteed.
  • Fucking hell.
    Farage's Gammon party is embarrassing.

Notice he unveiled Anaziarsehole Annunziata Rees Mogg.

• They also didn't register all the domain names.

https://thebrexitparty.com/
  • Tory support begins to collapse as Labour holds firm.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/apr/14/stephen-dorrell-defection-change-uk-tory-poll-five-year-low

Only one poll obviously, but looks like Labours strategy is beginning to pan out.
  • Not sure that can be credited to Labour as much as Tories being shit.
    Tories dropped 7 points, Labour only gained one of them.

Libs and Green lost 1. So that is the Pro-EU parties in England losing out.

SNP up a point, not exactly the grand anti-Brexit pro-indy movement be lauded.

UKIP have gained 2 points, "Other" have gained 3 points.

To me it looks like Brexiteers jumping the Tory ship.
  • It seems like support for Brexit has fallen now, which has been keeping the Tories artificially high.

Hopefully the sight of the U.K. politicians sitting around waiting to see what the President of France decides is going to happen to the country might change some minds. That’s the reality of May’s deal. Permanently out of the room waiting to hear what other countries have decided for us.
  • That logic could just as easily be applied to no deal.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not sure that can be credited to Labour as much as Tories being shit. Tories dropped 7 points, Labour only gained one of them. Libs and Green lost 1. So that is the Pro-EU parties in England losing out. SNP up a point, not exactly the grand anti-Brexit pro-indy movement be lauded. UKIP have gained 2 points, "Other" have gained 3 points. To me it looks like Brexiteers jumping the Tory ship.

You do know what the Labour strategy has been this entire time right?
  • No I think it is luck more than anything.
  • Right. And not at all anything to do with allowing the Tories to eat themselves over Brexit?
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Not sure that can be credited to Labour as much as Tories being shit.
  • You haven't been paying attention then.
  • Cant see thats a particular good strategy if that's the main plan. Sure the Tory vote is weakened but it's not much of a gain. It is also given some really awful parties new members they wouldn't have got.

UKIP and the Brexit party are a solid 3rd and 4th for the upcoming euro elections. That's not a good place to be.

SFV - reddave360
  • UKIP were 1st last time.
  • So Labour’s strategy is for the Tories to collapse and Labour to still not have sufficient support to form a majority?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!