• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Roujin wrote:
    Cafetiere guide: 1 tablespoon of grounds per cup. Grind the beans as coarse as you can. When you put the water in just give the grounds a tiny gentle stir or push the plunger down 1/4" to make sure all the grounds are wet. Brew for 6 minutes. Press plunger down slowly when you do it.

A tablespoon of it grounded then? So I need a larger amount of beans for that?
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    My 2 cents, find a good local roaster/cafe that has beans for different purposes. Nespresso can suck my cock. Stove top is ok, but just using Starbucks or stuff designed for espresso will give you a pretty harsh/unpleasant coffee, IMO. if you're using a Stovetop, get an aeropress, and get some single origin or a recommendation from the barista.

I just want to make the most of what I have for now. I'll invest in more equipment if I get into it. I've never really drank coffee on a regular basis before.

The thing I have is made of glass - I assume that's not a stove top then? I just pour hot water in and let it sit on the worktop brewing?
  • davyK wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Cafetiere guide: 1 tablespoon of grounds per cup. Grind the beans as coarse as you can. When you put the water in just give the grounds a tiny gentle stir or push the plunger down 1/4" to make sure all the grounds are wet. Brew for 6 minutes. Press plunger down slowly when you do it.

Aye. Couldn't tell you how much beans you'll need though to get 1 tablespoon of grounds. Soz!

"Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • davyK wrote:
    Facewon wrote:
    My 2 cents, find a good local roaster/cafe that has beans for different purposes. Nespresso can suck my cock. Stove top is ok, but just using Starbucks or stuff designed for espresso will give you a pretty harsh/unpleasant coffee, IMO. if you're using a Stovetop, get an aeropress, and get some single origin or a recommendation from the barista.

I just want to make the most of what I have for now. I'll invest in more equipment if I get into it. I've never really drank coffee on a regular basis before.

The thing I have is made of glass - I assume that's not a stove top then? I just pour hot water in and let it sit on the worktop brewing?

There's probably a difference, but I have stove top and French press, (what you're talking about) to me, there's not much difference.

A lot of the same rules apply as far as bean selection goes.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I got a new tiny Nespresso machine and it's great. Proper espresso machines are all well and good but I'll take a perfectly lovely espresso in under 60 seconds when I'm running out the door at 7.30 in the morning over any bean grinding or tamping bullshit thank you very much.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    And the nespresso makes a coffee equal to any café in the street here. I'm sure there are fancy barista type places but I wouldn't set foot in them anyway.
  • Think of the planet you monster. Your farts are already causing climate change Ffs.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Meh, I buy organic cpasules for it in the supermarket  anyway, not Nestlé's own ones. They can fuck off.
  • But do you use raw water?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Sourced from pygmies and Sting yes.
  • Should Davy be letting the coffee bloom in the cafetière before tipping up the water? I do that with my Aeropress.

I tend to use 1-2 tablespoons of grounds per cup if I’m using my Aeropress. That would probably relate to 2-3 tablespoons of whole beans. I just compared my tablespoon measurer to the 1-cup stove-top I have, at it holds 1.5-2 tbps loose, I tend to pack in an extra half a tablespoon.

Davy, take a look at the literature with your Nespresso. Mine had a code that meant that if I spent so much online, I got a free milk frothier/heater which works a treat. There are also deals for free stuff (choice of nice Perspex storage box, or espresso cups etc) if you order so many capsules in your first or second order. You can also order free recycling bags, which you fill up with your used capsules and either post back to them or hand in to certain places. I’ve got a bag under my desk at work (which is where I use my Nespresso). That slightly assuages my environment guilt.

Also, when I’m not working my way through the metric fuck-tonne of official capsules I now have, you get surprisingly decent Nespresso compatible capsules from Aldi (and probably Lidl) which are a bit cheaper. I got some Marks & Spencer ones in the office Secret Santa, I haven’t tried any yet, but I’ll report back later in the week if anyone is interested.
  • davyK wrote:
    Roujin wrote:

I have a grinder / cafetière setup at home, too. My cafetière is big enough for just over 2 mugs of coffee, and I use 3 scoops of beans for that, or just enough to go a bean deep over the top of the grinder blade (this will depend on how big your grinder is).

I boil the water, stick the grinds in the thingy and then pour on top. Give a stir, then put the top of the cafetière on and leave for 4-5 minutes (it doesn’t matter too much, as long as it’s not too short). Then press down the plunger and enjoy.
  • The Missus also bought a coffee machine with an alarm timer on it around xmas. Now I don’t need to get up at 6:30 everyday to have coffee before class - at 6:30, the machine grinds the beans automatically and by the time I get up there’s some freshly brewed filter coffee waiting for me.

True love.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    My cafetiere routine is pre heat the cafetiere with about half a mug of boiling water for 30 secs, then pour that water into your mug to pre heat that. I use 3 table spoons of ground coffee for 2 mugs, poor on water that's off the boil and give it a little stir. Put the lid and plunger on then push the plunger down till it sits on the top of the water. Leave for 6 minutes then plunge and pour.
  • I just realised gingertea is the best ever remedy against the flu.
    It's delicious too...
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Andy wrote:
    Davy, take a look at the literature with your Nespresso. Mine had a code that meant that if I spent so much online, I got a free milk frothier/heater which works a treat.

The one we got has the frother - it does a great job. The Nespresso machine froths the coffee itself so I rarely use the milk frother unless I'm making more than one at a time.
    Andy wrote:
    There are also deals for free stuff (choice of nice Perspex storage box, or espresso cups etc) if you order so many capsules in your first or second order. You can also order free recycling bags, which you fill up with your used capsules and either post back to them or hand in to certain places. I’ve got a bag under my desk at work (which is where I use my Nespresso). That slightly assuages my environment guilt. Also, when I’m not working my way through the metric fuck-tonne of official capsules I now have, you get surprisingly decent Nespresso compatible capsules from Aldi (and probably Lidl) which are a bit cheaper. I got some Marks & Spencer ones in the office Secret Santa, I haven’t tried any yet, but I’ll report back later in the week if anyone is interested.

Have got some capsules from Tesco and some espresso ones from Starbucks. ( I usually use the 2nd button (lingo?) for a larger drink with the capsules - but I've started using the the espresso button for a smaller (more concentrated ?) drink with the Starbucks ones as they state espresso on the packaging. I guess you can use them either way. The machine lets you adjust the volume of water with each button but I just have them at default and press it again for a top up. They're pretty good as far as my taste buds can tell.

Have seen that deal for the clear box - I may well order enough official ones to get that. I also like the revolving rack but the box is handier and less oppressive.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Thanks for the tips peeps.

Think I need to be using slightly more beans and letting it brew for a few more minutes.

The cafetiere I have is quite big - I may get a smaller one or two cup job.

I'll also get some more capsules as the machine is ridiculously handy and I like what it produces.
  • If you want smaller. Aeropress. It's cheap, small and awesome.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Never heard of that. Will investigate.
  • Facewon wrote:

have you seen Dirk Gently?
  • *safety wink*
  • You’ll get there, Davy. It always takes a bit of practice and tinkering until you start getting the cup you want, but then you’ll never go back to stuff like instant.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I'm finding the combo of coffee and 80% chocolate to be pretty devine and immensely satisfying.

I've also been hearing about alternate sips of strong coffee and good whiskey being a good combo too.

Aeropress looks interesting. I'll work with what I have for now though.
  • Whisky and espresso is the bomb. Combine it with the choc and you'd probably be in heaven.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Is it a pain/pleasure thing?
  • g.man wrote:
    Whisky and espresso is the bomb. Combine it with the chic and you'd probably be in heaven.
    Definitely good times ahead.
  • g.man wrote:
    Whisky and espresso is the bomb. Combine it with the choc and you'd probably be in heaven.

Interesting. I’ve done strong chocolate and whisky before and can defo vouch for that.
  • I used cafetieres for many years but I'm a Tassimo man these days.  I do apologise.

I'll sit in a coffee house all day if I get to avoid shopping though.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • weadre wrote:
    g.man wrote:
    Whisky and espresso is the bomb. Combine it with the choc and you'd probably be in heaven.

Interesting. I’ve done strong chocolate and whisky before and can defo vouch for that.

I miss coffee and a fag, also whisky with a smoke is great.
  • You given up the fags then?
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!