Coffee and Tea
  • Got round to picking up some beans from Sainsbury's.
    Picked up some Taste the Difference Guatamalan Espresso and some Taylor's Rich Italian as the Taylor's was on offer cheap.

Started with the own brand, is good, definitely worth the minimal effort of grinding your own. I kept the grind fairly coarse, probably needed a slight bit longer brewing.
    Really silky smooth, not especially rich but like I say could probably brew a bit longer.
  • Gold!
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • LivDiv wrote:
    Got round to picking up some beans from Sainsbury's.
    Picked up some Taste the Difference Guatamalan Espresso and some Taylor's Rich Italian as the Taylor's was on offer cheap.

Started with the own brand, is good, definitely worth the minimal effort of grinding your own. I kept the grind fairly coarse, probably needed a slight bit longer brewing.
    Really silky smooth, not especially rich but like I say could probably brew a bit longer.

i think ive tried the entire Taylors range of coffee. My pallete isnt good enough to tell the differences between the various taylors bags. the writing on the back seems like bullshit. "Subtle notes of walnuts and caramel". Nope just tastes of coffee.
  • The taylors espresso one tastes amazing from my bean to cup machine. They’ve stopped selling it in supermarkets though.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Pfft coffee snobs! I just use Taylor’s coffee bags. I don’t have time for the gourmet shit.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I dont have a machine, i use taylors ground coffee and a cafetiere. Seems to do the job, though i can imagine a proper machine with coffee beans would make a lovely cup of coffee
  • One of my colleagues appears to be a monster.

She uses one herbal teabag all day long, for many cups of tea. Just leaves it in there. All day.
  • Getting ready for Brexit
  • Well, yes. We’ll all be on the herbal teas when it gets hard to source fresh milk.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Am I being stupid?? Why would Brexit make getting anything 'fresh' more difficult? Surely it just means getting foreign muck shipped in from Europe more difficult?
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I look forward to more of this foreign muck, speak English proper and so forth, as Brexit kicks in hard.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Leaving Brexit completely out of it, for the general economic health of any nation it makes sense to consume as much local produce as possible. You support your own community, you don't pay for transport costs, and it should be a lot fresher. That's just straight logic surely
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • poprock wrote:
    Well, yes. We’ll all be on the herbal teas when it gets hard to source fresh milk.

That was a joke, but …

The barriers to buying milk are going to be lack of affordability (exchange rates and price rises combined), difficulty in getting deliveries through to local shops, and lack of low-wage workers along the supply chain.

Milk’s actually one of the very few dairy products we export to the rest of the EU. That’ll stop overnight as high tariffs come in. We’ll have a milk surplus, but it’ll go rancid quicker than we can buy and drink it.

We import most other dairy products though. We’ll be running out of butter, cheese, etc. And we can’t magically create the necessary factories to turn that milk surplus into all the other refined products we’ll be missing out on.

Our society can’t suddenly up and switch to local sustainability. You’re underestimating the scale of food and drink industry required to affordably feed our population, especially in cities. This is the day to day stuff that’s likely to cause riots in the coming year.
  • Brexit could be disastrous for the rest of the EU in similar ways as well, of course. They’re going to have to import their milk from somewhere else at much higher prices than they currently pay to buy it from us, an internal trading partner with low dairy tariffs.

They’re luckier though. The EU is big and influential enough to strike decent trade deals with other places and get their hands on fairly-priced milk. We ain’t going to be able to do that for, say, cheese.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Leaving Brexit completely out of it, for the general economic health of any nation it makes sense to consume as much local produce as possible. You support your own community, you don't pay for transport costs, and it should be a lot fresher. That's just straight logic surely

Except you don't have the capacity to feed all of your own country, and without the EU subsidies the cost of trying to would be untenable.
  • Since we’re now talking post-Brexit hot drinks …

Get used to black coffee and you’ll probably do okay, even in the event of no deal. Coffee will get more expensive (current estimates are 10–15% but that doesn’t account for drop in real-terms income as all retail prices rise) and there are bound to be short-term shortages of coffee beans while transport and logistics fuck themselves for a couple of months … but long term you’ll still be able to get your lovely hot black coffee. Just wean yourself off lattes and flat whites.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    EU can set internal tariffs for milk, surely, so it can import from any other EU country I suppose? UK isn't the biggest exporter of milk in the EU, not even top 5 I think.
  • Fair point. I don’t know who gets milk from where. I just know it’s one of the UK’s major exports at the moment, and all to the EU. It’s the odd one out amongst dairy products – the only one we export more than import – and massively so.
  • Changing the subject back to actual coffee the best beans you’re gonna get are from either that coffee shop sort of underneath the train station in Glasgow* or a Filmore and Union. I’m sure both will probs have an online shop to source for those too far away. I’ve had about three years now of experimenting and these are the two best batches I’ve come across. Some of the Taylors stuff is fine and some of the Sainsbury’s TTD stuff is good enough too, sort of. All the other mainstream stuff can just get off into the bin with (weirdly considering the quality of everything else they do) M&S being the worst offender with their vile Italian bean blend being actual spit out wtf.

There you go. Back to brexit now probably.

*I brought some back from the recent ‘stock but will need a local to fill in the missing shop name.
  • *I brought some back from the recent ‘stock but will need a local to fill in the missing shop name.

Gordon Street Coffee, run by the lovely Amy. You can mail order from their website.

I’d say they’re second best in Glasgow (Dear Green Coffee being the top dogs) but that’s down to personal taste.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Not sure how in date this is, but I do like this sites visualisations

https://atlas.media.mit.edu/en/profile/country/gbr/

I was also being facetious. I get that we have become far too reliant on supermarkets, and it's something that has always peeved me. Just that now I see the dangers have come to fruition. I was lucky enough to grow up on what used to be a small holding, my grandfather also had a small dairy linky and even after that we all lived near each other and would grow our own veg. Other stuff we'd have local shops for, even when I was growing up in the 80s. Maybe it's just the old man in me complaining and pining for a simpler life, but it seemed better. Harder, more personal responsibility, but more personal satisfaction as well
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bought myself a little percolator - the type that you set on a hotplate and it screws open.

Made my first batch up last night (with pre-ground that had been sitting about) and it wasn't bad at all.

It's a lot easier to clean out than the French Press style thing I have too.

I think I had the heat on too high though - it boiled too quickly for my liking and it could have been stronger - though that may be down to the fact that the coffee has been sitting about (albeit sealed) for ages.

I still like the stuff I get out of the Nespresso machine - I have my Lungo and espresso buttons set to small amounts. You get a good froth with the Nespresso machine.

However I like to have the choice depending on how much effort I am in form for.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The advice I got was its actually ok to boil quick, what you don't want is to let it boil for ages after.

I would actually boik water first. Poor in then quickly get on the hotplate. It'll perk almost immediately, turn off and away you go.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Chaps any recommendations for high street ground coffee other than the Taylor's brand? I've tried all the different roasts and so called Taylor's flavours of coffee. Light-Medium roast is more my thing than a dark roast.
  • Illy?
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Aye Face. I use Illy Black, which is their strong one. Maybe give Illy Red a go Dino. It's probably more at the medium end of the spectrum.
    Come with g if you want to live...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!