Coffee and Tea
  • Since June. Not even when pissed.
  • That's great going mate! More power to ya.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Well I can't have the boy thinking it's ok, and he's old enough now to suspect. Also I'm old enough a Dad without making it worse. If I shuffled before he's 20 I'd never forgive myself. I used to love smoking as well, pesky kids.
  • Best reason mate.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • hunk wrote:
    I just realised gingertea is the best ever remedy against the flu. It's delicious too...

Aye, 'tis delish.

I used to get the granule stuff back in the day - but it's very sugary.

Chinese supermarkets also do the pure ginger powder stuff, which is very strong.

Have that and some honey to taste and it sorts you right out.

I've tried normal ginger powder used for cooking and it didn't work as well - perhaps not as finely ground - didn't desolve as well.

Fresh ginger in a garlic press or chopped works too. Could add some fresh lemon too, and honey of course.

Currently have some Tetley lemon and ginger with added vitamin c - which is designed specifically for that, but it lacks punch. Much better than their green tea though!
    Hi Hosting - Fast and Reliable UK Web Hosting
    We host a number of bears and badgers, get in touch if want a website too!
  • Got a bean grinder for xmas to go along with my cafetiere.
    What's the best way to store beans?
    I've seen airtight containers with co2 valves and whatnot.
    Are they necessary or is a kilner jar good enough for someone new to this level of coffee?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Tupperware and the freezer.
  • See I'm finding loads of things saying non to the freezer. Then the bag of beans I got say the fridge.
    Then again those saying no to the fridge/freezer are then pushing these 30 quid containers with co2 valve replacements every other month that seem a bit wanky level.

I could probably experiment with this small bag I have.
  • Also, should probably ask.
    Any recommendations for an affordable and easily available (Sainsburys) bean?
  • Not exactly what you’ve asked but often local cafes sell their beanz
  • That's a good shout actually Tempy, cheers.
    There are some decent coffee shops here because of the strong Italian community.
  • I have a vacuum storage tub where you have a little pump that sucks all the air out of the container. Works pretty well but only fits about 500g of beans, so if you buy a 1kg bag then there’s stilll a load left.

As for beans, do an intro trial with pact coffee and bean to door for some cheap, good quality beans. I find them a bit too pricey for longer term usage though. I get most of mine from Lidl these days, but occasionally buy 1kg bags from Costco, I’ve also tried a few from amazon such as coffee masters. Usually aim for circa £10 per kilo, but you can sometimes get around £8/kilo. What’s your brew method?
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Thanks Daddy.

I will look into the delivery services but unfortunately I don't like having stuff delivered here. Things tend to not turn up, then loads of post for totally random addresses arrive.

Method will be grind beans, add to cafeteire, boil water then leave for a minute, pour in water. I then normally leave to brew for 5-10 minutes. Cafeteire is dual walled and will keep heat for hours, it is only a single cup but that is fine for me, I will only have a couple a day.

Drink black no sugar
  • Most small coffee roasters sell their beans in resealable packs with a one-way valve. They have to because roasted beans slowly release nitrogen, which needs a way out of the bag. With packs like that, you can just reseal the pack and squeeze out any trapped air, then pop it in the fridge.

You can keep sealed packs of roasted beans in the fridge for a few weeks, no bother. The important thing is to grind and use immediately – once ground there is so much surface area exposed to air that the coffee goes stale in minutes.
  • Actually, Sainsbury’s should do some decent beans. They used to buy all their own brand stuff from a roaster in Glasgow. Look for ones with valves on the packs and you should be good for fridge storing.
  • Cheers Pop.
    I noticed the pre-ground I bought from Sainsbury's had a valve but didn't realise what it was for.
    I will have a look on the packs as well to see if they note the supplier, although I know this is a rarity in anything own brand.
  • I buy beans from Sainsburies whatever is on offer and its fine for every day coffee.

Storagewise I find a sealable container in the fridge works great for beans. Especially as i just buy the normal size 250g bags from the supermarket.

Obvs if it's expensive beans that are going to be stored for a while between uses then maybe a proper container might be worth a look.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Thanks again all.
    Here's the plan.

1. Hold off on the fancy Jamaican Rum flavoured beans I have been given until I am feeling flash and/or get a valve container.

2. Head to Sainos, have a good browse and buy a pack with a valve.

3. Check out some of the local places over time and if I find something I really like grab a bag o beans.
  • iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Defo will, even if I have to have sent to my parents place.
  • I drink. Shit load of coffee. As does the missus. 250grams sees us through a week easy.

If you have grinder, even better. Storage isn't the be all and end all.

I gave away my massive grinder in new place. Get the beans ground at Cafe, chuck em in a tin, and they're fine for a week.

Keep some illy for emergencies.

Jobs a good un.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Roujin wrote:
    Yeah I got a cheapish delonghi thing off my brother a couple of years ago for xmas, it's fucking great.  Hold on I'll go find out what it is. Okay it's a Delonghi KG79, yours for like £40 from everywhere. It has adjustable grind size as well, I have it set to the coarsest possible, it makes fucking great coffee out of muh cafetiere.  u_10135108.jpg?_ga=1.42463269.1870832443.1489861373

So I now have this one, and am slowly learning how to use a cafetiere (cos I'm a noob).  Any bean recommendations?  The first lot I got were "OK" but far from special...

I'm glad to report that before this year turned I'd left this thread and added this to a an amazon wishlist and have since owned this grinder for a year. Its faster and less expensive way to raise your middle class game for sure but it's also very good if you grab a cold brew flask for coarse 120 gram bean grinds

QED
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Admittedly I had bigger muscles when I grinding by hand, vicar
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    There's a bean pin lurking somewhere

Good to see you old bean?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    It is!

Currently battling with the irony that I'm home for a few hours and am out of beans /o:
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Keep some illy for emergencies.

Jobs a good un.

I did a bad job T_T

• Hello good sir.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Only Tories, ergo nonces buy from Sainsburys FYIs

Glad you've found a new vendor (o;
  • I agree there actually. My missus bought me them for my birthday. I'm a Morrisons man.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!