Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Years ago I went to a shop asking for a coffee percolator, presuming the word would be similar in Spanish. I got a wide variety of responses but no coffee percolator. Turned out my presumption was a bit off and cafe perculado translates more closely as coffee up your arse.
  • Ahahahaha!

gold blend

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • cockbeard wrote:
    So filter paper and a staywarm jug are bad.

Nah, filter coffee makers and cafetieres are fine. It's just a different process of making coffee (stove tops use pressure to force the water through the coffee creating an espresso), in fact they're preferable for light roast beans, as the acidic or fruity flavours tend to become quite sour when extracted using the espresso method. 

Get a cheap percolator, some dark and/or medium roast beans and experiment with the two methods to see which you prefer. For me, it's a dark roast espresso every time :).
  • I think I'm gonna follow Face's lead and get m'self a decent burr grinder.
  • Man, it's hard finding a grinder with a manual doser for under about $350. Although ebay may help me out. Waiting on some bids for $260.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Bids in. fingers crossed. Find out tomorrow. If I get this one, then we're talking coffee machine and pro grinder for under aus$600, considering I could drop upwards of $1000 easily on either item, that's pretty good.

Don't think I'm losing out on much quality, plus wanting the doser is actually a good thing for the price, as the newer commercial gear has some crazy auto shit, but it's only going to be swish cafes that have 'em yet. I've been keeping an eye out. Plenty of manual dosing going on, regardless of what the salesman I was speaking to today said. Boy did he miss the mark on what his customer wanted today. Trying to up sell me by more than double my budget = fail.
  • ...but did he ask you your name?

:)

g.man
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    This is why I like this forum, can be surprisingly illuminating on many subjects. My mate uses a stovetop espresso maker, which I usually sample after kipping at his after a night out in TO. I think I'll take the plunge with the Bialetti soon, it seems pretty simple to use.
    Things can only get better.
  • Couldn't recommend one enough, great choice.
  • I gottan average kenwood plug in coffe thingee with the metal basket thing. All it pumps out is double esspressos and steam, so what I go for is the lavazza red packet (yum yum) cant live with out it. I only have one in the morning though then its clipper de-caf tea the rest fo the day, clipper definately has to be my fav tea house at the moment.
  • 55 minutes from having this grinder.
  • Bam.
  • I gottan average kenwood plug in coffe thingee with the metal basket thing. All it pumps out is double esspressos and steam, so what I go for is the lavazza red packet (yum yum) cant live with out it. I only have one in the morning though then its clipper de-caf tea the rest fo the day, clipper definately has to be my fav tea house at the moment.
    De-caf tea? Can't say I've ever tried it.

any good

g.man

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    De-caf tea always makes me feel sick. I think it's something to do with the chemicals they use to remove the caffeine.
  • I never drink regular de-caf, though I sometimes drink 'naturally-decaffeinated' which avoids the nasty chemicals or, more often, 'naturally caffeine-free'.
  • I didn't realise there were different decaf processes?

interesting

g.man
  • You can actually make a cup of pretty-much decaf tea with a regular teabag by filling your mug, leaving it to brew for a couple of minutes then throwing away the contents and refilling with the same teabag.  Much of the caffeine is washed away in the first cup.  Some naturally decaf teas are made using a similar process, using water alone to remove the caffeine.
  • I'll post pics tomorrow, but let me just say that a commercial grinder on the kitchen bench tends to take up a bit of room.
  • Can't wait to see this!
  • mobi_splash_altarica.jpg

Best instants around. I've tried 'em all.

A moka pot is now on my father's day list, btw.
  • When I was in 6th form at school (19 years ago!) I used to have a jar of each of those in my locker at all times.
  • DAMN YOU IGOR YOUR POST HAS JUST MADE ME REALISE THAT THIS SUMMER IT WILL BE 30 YEARS SINCE I LEFT SCHOOL.

probably be dead soon

g.man
  • g.man wrote:
    Can't wait to see this!

Oops. Forgot to post pics. Bought a big bag of cheap beans the other day so I could not waste good stuff on getting the grinding right. Glad I did, because I was being a spaz for a good while before sussing things. Gonna have a bit more of play tomorrow. I have it just fine enough for stove top, but I can't seem to get it to do it any finer. I suspect I'll either need to get in and (maybe) replace the blades/burs and/or just generally clean it out a bit. Still, it basicallt works fine, and the manual doser is well good.
  • G,  top choice in coffee maker!  I have a gaggia bean to cup setup which is all kinds of awesome,  except when I get it sent away for a 1 week holiday every year to get serviced.
  • Good man Jimmy!
  • I clearly don't have the right taste buds.  I don't think I have ever had a properly, freshly brewed/percolated/whatevered cup of coffee that tasted as good as most of the freeze-dried instant I've ever drunk.  Go ahead and hate me for it.  Sorry.  (Coffee is a bit like jazz, I suppose.  Or wine.)

We had a guy in for interview this week.  Offered him tea or coffee and he said coffee. asked him what he normally took. He answered Nescafe.  He didn't get the job. Especially at the end when he said - are we done here? We have a machine at work - Morphy Richards machine - the boss usually get the coffee from Aldis. You wont find them talking about it in the advert.
    Um, this makes it sound like he already wasn't getting the job - regardless of the 'are we done' comment - on the strength of his coffee reply...
  • Boy do I hate coffee, but I am a bit of a tea nut. Green teas are amazing. Think my favourite though is pu-erh tea, It's actually buried underground for a number of years to ferment and it gets this amazing, earthy flavour.
  • ZMM wrote:
    Boy do I hate coffee, but I am a bit of a tea nut. Green teas are amazing. Think my favourite though is pu-erh tea, It's actually buried underground for a number of years to ferment and it gets this amazing, earthy flavour.

I'll pass thanks

:D

g.man
  • I'd sooner have coffee beans shat out of a ferret.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • You know what else has an amazing earthy flavour?  Cheaper, too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!