Coffee and Tea
  • *chuckle*
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • So it turns out Costa's iced black coffees come 'blended' these days, which is to say they whisk the entire fucker into a literal froth before pouring over the rocks, taking on the appearance of a milked beverage without any dairy content whatsoever.

Turns out also that I am not averse to this sleight of hand at all. All the air makes for a smoother gulp, somehow.
  • Costa do seem to have improved leaps and bounds in the last few years. Used to be poisonous dishwater, now seems quite decent.

all things being equal

g.man
  • Their flat whites trump Starbo's, I can state this.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I'd sooner have coffee beans shat out of a ferret.

I can't do ferret, but I can get you cat.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Brooks wrote:
    Their flat whites trump Starbo's, I can state this.

I love a flat white.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    OK, I've lived in NZ for seven months now... WTF is a "flat white"? Just regular coffee? Also, what's a "tall black"? Again, just regular coffee sans milk? Then why the 'flat' and 'tall' prefixes?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Flat white's a cappuccino, only the froth's coffee-infused milk as opposed to plain milk froth. Basically. Just makes the beverage a bit tarter overall.
  • I imagine a Tall Black is a longer, weaker Americano?
  • Oh and they put wee patterns in the froth during the pour. Which I never observe because there's a lid on it.
  • @BlueSwirl: Did you mean long black? If so, it's like a reverse americano, hot water then the espresso, it does a better job of preserving the crema.
  • Good coffee houses are sadly few and far between these days.  Of the chains, Nero is the only I frequent, when I'm devoid of independent alternatives.  My favourite coffee emporium was in Edinburgh and used to serve a huge variety of ground coffees by the cafetiere.  I'd sit in there for hours playing cards, chess or reading and getting insanely caffeinated without all of this venti frappe mochachino flat white skinny caramel-polluted nonsense.  Perhaps that's why it went out of business...
  • I've never seen a Flat White outside of the Atlas Cafe in Nottingham, certainly not in Starbucks. Atlas don't make Frappes though so my allegiances change during the summer.
  • Good coffee houses are sadly few and far between these days. 

Seriously, in melbourne, you can't go 1 block without a good coffee house. There's still a lot of shite, but around the inner city, the "average" ones are still really quite nice. The really really good ones are fucking incredible.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Good coffee houses are sadly few and far between these days.  Of the chains, Nero is the only I frequent, when I'm devoid of independent alternatives.  My favourite coffee emporium was in Edinburgh and used to serve a huge variety of ground coffees by the cafetiere.  I'd sit in there for hours playing cards, chess or reading and getting insanely caffeinated without all of this venti frappe mochachino flat white skinny caramel-polluted nonsense.  Perhaps that's why it went out of business...

Sounds like Kinnell's

regards

g.man
  • Blue Swirl wrote:
    I'd sooner have coffee beans shat out of a ferret.

I can't do ferret, but I can get you cat.

That's the one. Cat, meerkat, ferret, whatever.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • "'Kin Ell" is a high-tier name for any store.
  • Kinnell's, yes!  That was it - on Victoria Street.  It's an Italian restaurant now I think.
  • BONUS MULTIPLIER!

WINNAR

g.man
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Cheers for info, lads. I think I did mean 'long black' and not tall, woops.

Right, at least next time I'll be able to order a coffee and actually know what it is that I'm asking for.
  • I'd suspect at quite a few places, ordering a flat white, a latte and/or getting a cap with no choclate on top would leave you with roughly the same drink.

I've been a cap man for a long time, myself, but think I may make the switch to flat whites. Cap is good if you don't know the place you're ordering from, as the choclate can hide dodge coffee, but I'm going to a lot of places with good coffee these days, and it's a little annoying when they go ott on the choclate and you can't taste the coffee.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I ask for a coffee. Large if they have sizes.

Then I give it back and tell them to put milk in if they haven't.

Always worked out fine thus far.
  • Boring perhaps but, when I drink coffee, I want it to be just that.  No chocolate, no cream, no frosting, caramel, syrups or whatever other stuff they put into it these days.  A little milk perhaps to smoothen it out if necessary but I just want to taste good coffee, nothing else.  Gnozo's right about Spain though - excellent café con leche wherever I went, no funny business.
  • Asking for a coffee with milk up front would be more efficient.  You'd have thought he'd have learned that by now.
  • Although "Coffee with milk up front" probably requires a special machine that vertically separates the two liquids, somehow.  Fucking Starbucks.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    Asking for a coffee with milk up front would be more efficient.  You'd have thought he'd have learned that by now.

I prefer not to engage in the whole more complicated than it needs to be circus. I've found it's only really on the continent they assume you want it black.
  • Yeah but no, mod.  Ask for a coffee with milk if that's what you want.  if you want something else ask for something else.  Then you get what you want without the risk of confusion or error.  You're welcome.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Facewon wrote:
    Good coffee houses are sadly few and far between these days. 
    Seriously, in melbourne, you can't go 1 block without a good coffee house. There's still a lot of shite, but around the inner city, the "average" ones are still really quite nice. The really really good ones are fucking incredible.
    Indeed, cafe culture has replaced the local milk bar trip. I'm lucky, got a beaut a few doors down.  Brilliant food and top coffee.  If I could afford to eat there every day, I probably would.  I settle for every third day or so.  Best veggie breakie I've had is made there.  They make these herb and potato cakes that ought to be illegal and not just because they are laced with cocaine.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • It's been at least three days since my last coffee and I feel like ass biscuits. Payday on thursday is going to be glorious.
  • The popular face of drug addiction.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!