The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • Ah, I happen to be at that tower now. Dunno if my skills are good enough to capture it, though.

Haven't come across the other thing you're taking about, though.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Get that tower and the game becomes far easier.
  • Yossarian wrote:

According to that guide,
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Get that tower and the game becomes far easier.

I actually have no idea how to do that currently.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Unless it’s been patched:
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    All the towers are doable from the off, as I recall.
  • Must have been patched, I guess. I'll try and report back about it when I'm in a position to test.

I'm sure it's doable, I just don't know how to add have not confidence I'll be able to beat the guard.

Here's something possibly odd/amusing I've noticed: I'm currently doing a normal/no assist run on Bayo 2 and keep getting tempted back because I find that easier than Zelda.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t expect it has been patched, TBH, I think that the descriptions in game are wrong.
  • I really don't know if this discussion is with using spoilers for, but I'll continue.
    Spoiler:

Just came across the thing you were taking about. Cool, but the impact was lessened as I'd just spoken to a guy at the stables who told me about it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Possibly they need cooking first?
  • That's my next test. Raw they do nothing special.
  • In game text agrees with you. Number varies depending on food.
  • After pouring over a 100 hours into BOTW, I have to say I’m with AJ on this one. I really can’t be arsed extending my stamina meter when the game makes traversal so plodding. I’m not digging the dungeons either. Physics-based puzzles are not so rewarding when you’ve seen them done better elsewhere.
    3DS friend code: 2809-8024-1882
    AC: New Leaf: James (Ardis) 
    Wii U: BennyProfane
    Switch: SW-4893-5168-5693
  • Yes, cook anything hearty and it will get you a full refill plus some bonus hearts. Look out for endura carrots too, same thing but with stamina.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • So, I had a good few hours yesterday without anything stupid happening or having anything more than a tower that required climbing (seriously, that is a dull mechanic and can get to fuck). Did some overworld puzzles, completed some enjoyable shrines, and made the run up to Zora's Domain. It was all fairly pleasant.

Nothing GOTY worthy, especially in the same year Odyssey came out, but if this keeps up I can see it knocking HZD off my list. I've also learnt two things: look at the map because a big, fuck off mountain in your way might only mean you're a little off, rather than going the wrong way; and pick up all the rocks because there's decent shit under a surprising number of them.
  • pandajimmy wrote:
    After pouring over a 100 hours into BOTW, I have to say I’m with AJ on this one. I really can’t be arsed extending my stamina meter when the game makes traversal so plodding. I’m not digging the dungeons either. Physics-based puzzles are not so rewarding when you’ve seen them done better elsewhere.

Aye, horses and fast travel still seem essential for parts. Not found much to do about the climbing though which, as I mentioned, can get to fuck. Maybe it's so hellishly painful because that's the best way they could find to dissuade people from using it to a game breaking degree.

I have been enjoying the puzzles more than most of the rest of the game, to be honest, even though a lot of them have been giving me a distinct feeling of being a shit Portal.
  • Climbing improves as you go on.
    Extra stamina means you can jump more often when climbing and there is a something later which helps a lot.
  • Ah, the old make it shit to give a sense of progression trick. Doesn't stop the necessary climbing earlier on from being a right hassle, though. I am learning to avoid it as much as possible.

Being proper shit at fighting, it's always difficult to pick between more hearts and more stamina, too. Kinda wish they'd just had separate collectables for each.
  • There's gear that improves climbing, plus an ability that makes things easier.

Fast travel is a weird one, I use it here and there to get to Hateno and Kakariko and the other research place, but I'm usually more than content to just trot along listening to the ambiance. I think the incredibly sparse soundtrack works for me in that regard, I find the world very soothing to be in, even though it doesn't give two shits about me.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Or just release climb and push up on the stick to regain some stamina, rinse repeat. Doesn't work vertically obviously but most degrees of angles it will
  • I will say at the very least that climbing just doesn't feel very good. It's not got any kinaesthesic feel to it, so it feels really un-Nintendo like especially when stacked up against Splatoon and Mario Odyssey.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I have been enjoying the puzzles more than most of the rest of the game, to be honest, even though a lot of them have been giving me a distinct feeling of being a shit Portal.

This feeling feels familiar.
  • Tempy wrote:
    I will say at the very least that climbing just doesn't feel very good. It's not got any kinaesthesic feel to it, so it feels really un-Nintendo like especially when stacked up against Splatoon and Mario Odyssey.

I'm genuinely amazed that Spider-Link hasn't become a meme.
  • Because of the Incy Wincy thing?
  • No, because he climbs walls like fucking Spider-Man. These are literally the only two things I've found so far and one's no even related to BotW, as far as I can tell:

https://clips.twitch.tv/BlightedTalentedGnatNotLikeThis

• The climbing isn't perfect and the animation somewhat basic but I will forgive it because what they achieved with the ability to climb anything that should be climbable is an achievement no other developer has managed in the 15 odd years open world games have been popular.

I remember after playing BotW for ages then going to Mass Effect: Andromeda. Instant frustration at my hero character being thwarted by a 30cm high ledge. That has been true of so many games, just invisible, nonsensicle walls everywhere. I started Nier Automata the other day and that is one of the worst I have played for it, bloody doorways twice the size of the player character that you can't go through.
  • Except they just allowed you climb everything, not just the things you should be able to. Vertical surface with no hand holds whatsoever? Fine. Technically, it's not much better than not being able to climb anything. Hell, Spider-Man 2 had this in an open world on the PS2.
  • Not really. Allowing the player to climb everything means they have to make sure the player cant get stuck on things or in places. A hell of a lot more designing to do than plonking collision boxes in.

If it was easy it would have been done before.
  • I'm fairly certain you could ensure that with some not overly complicated maths. As I said, it's been done before, in Spider-Man games. I'd imagine most games don't do it because you have to tag all surfaces as to whether they can be climbed or not, so as not to look fucking ridiculous, but that takes ages.
  • If it is so easy why do I get wedged on stuff in other games?

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!