The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • If it is so easy why do I get wedged on stuff in other games?

Many reasons, that's a separate and more complex issue.

Seriously, if I had experience in Unity or Unreal, I could knock up an example of this climbing in an hour or two.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Good stuff.
  • Just trying to give an example of how simplistic the system is.
  • That’s not really an example. That’s you saying you could do something in something that you have no experience of.

My thinking re the climbing is it’s sort of an anti-Skyrim approach. In Skyrim you could scale a mountain by kind of going sideways and jumping up the scenery. It's fucking stupid but much quicker than fannying about following paths. This feels like they looked at that and thought, “fuck it, let’s let the bastards climb where they want”.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • I probably should have said anyone with an understanding of the basics could knock it out in an hour or two, the thought started with how I might just provide said example, and I got hooked on that, but there isn't a current toolset/engine I've used. My point was, it's really simple to do and doesn't require any kudos for pulling off.
  • Grow Home is the only game I can think of that has anything remotely fancy going on with its climbing.  Most games seem to go for hold up, or hold up and occasionally press the jump button.
  • Yes. Climbing a wall isn't a hard thing to do.

Creating a huge, sweeping game world that is mostly climbable that follows a real world logic so the player knows if something is climbable by looking at it, without visual clues like different shaders. A world where the player doesn't get stuck or snag on anything, where they can't get themselves into a situation where they are forced to reload. Nor does the player climb out of the world map or even get a view outside the world map.

That is difficult.
  • And not something Nintendo have done. Kudos to them if they've managed to give that impression, though.
  • Anyway, quick question: are you meant to use up pretty much your entire weapon stock on a mini boss (first of Zora quest line) or is there some way to do more damage? I think that crafting an elemental weapon buff is in vogue, at the moment, so have they done that? And how do I find out the weakness of an enemy, if that's the case?
  • Have you been sent to collect arrows?
  • Yes, I have. There don't seem to be enough in the trees to stealth about and collect. Plus, I'd quite like to kill the bastard anyway.
  • Thought as much.
    I didn't get them from the trees, I got them bloody miles away but I believe there are enough up there.

As for the boss. That is an infamous Lionel, say hello, they are the toughest thing in the game, arguably harder than Ganon at times (although that one is a bitch tier one).

Given that you say you aren't good with the combat I would suggest not taking it on. It is do-able but I think you will just put yourself off the game if you go for it now.
  • To be honest, I'd be fine at the combat if the dodge timing wasn't such a bitch to get right. It's like the smallest window at the latest moment I've ever seen.

I killed him once, but had an empty inventory afterwards, so decided to reload. Also, he didn't drop any goddamn arrows anyway. Is there really nothing I can do to increase the damage I'm inflicting?
  • Fair play if you beat him at this stage, you are doing alright.

Increased damage comes from better weapons which you will get a bit later or with more exploring. Also worth saving a bit of a stock of good ones, maybe one or two, and only use them against tough enemies.
    DS is your man for tactics against Lionels but getting the parry down is worth learning as early as possible.
    Obviously having more health and stamina helps. I take it you have worked out upgrading them.
  • I believe if you use stasis then twat the enemy for a bit it increases damage beyond the multiple hits.
    They don't stay frozen for long though.
  • Ooh, that's something I hadn't thought about. Nice.

So, no elemental buffs or anything? Guess I'll just have to rely on attack+ to destroy slightly fewer weapons. I had figured out to wander about with the weakest melee for general use; spanked 4 or 5 of a decent strength at this point in the game before I had to fall back to Zora spears and shit like that.

I'm sure I'll notice, but what's the stamina used for in combat?
  • I'm thinking Dark Souls, sorry been a while since I played. Stamina doesn't drain with sword swings in this does it?
    There is always running away.

Elemental, sorry can't remember, I don't think it is a complex system, I think it is just that fire will do increased damage unless they are fire type themselves. Don't quote me on that though.
  • No, stamina doesn't drain from sword swings, only spin attacks, which I can't see being any use in a proper fight.

I've left matey for now, gonna piss about a bit more. Might wiki things later and get a full run-down, think I'm past caring about anything but the biggest spoilers.
  • There are some combats techniques that can help, seem to remember dodge towards and attack or something is good.

Maybe watch a combat guide on YouTube. I remember the game teaching me stuff at odd times that I then forgot.
  • Might do, but most YouTube videos make me want to kill kittens.

Jump forward and attack does appear to do at least two hits, noticed that myself. Plus, that's standard Zelda since OOT. :)
  • Things derived from tonight's piss about: big, hearty radishes are where it's at, need to find a good supply of them. Fairy respawn may be linked to the number in your inventory. Cooking fairies isn't nearly dark enough.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The window for dodge is fairly nice, just time it when the swings close to hitting you. Now learn shield parry to be the ultimate don.
  • Re: battering Lynels, you can use cooked food for damage boosts as well. Anything with ‘mighty’ in its name should do the job, if I remember correctly.

Also though the stasis was mentioned, it needs to have been upgraded before it’ll work on anything as big as them. Don’t do as I did, and just stand trying to use it anyway while being repeatedly twatted.
  • AJ wrote:
    Things derived from tonight's piss about: big, hearty radishes are where it's at, need to find a good supply of them. Fairy respawn may be linked to the number in your inventory. Cooking fairies isn't nearly dark enough.

It is.
    Spoiler:
  • The number that spawn seems to be based on how many you have, too. Making that a maximum number you can have.

So, apparently different attacks need different dodges. That hadn't occurred to me and may be where I was going wrong.
  • Kazuo wrote:
    Re: battering Lynels, you can use cooked food for damage boosts as well. Anything with ‘mighty’ in its name should do the job, if I remember correctly. Also though the stasis was mentioned, it needs to have been upgraded before it’ll work on anything as big as them. Don’t do as I did, and just stand trying to use it anyway while being repeatedly twatted.

This.  I Googled recipes and made loads of attack/defence boosts.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!