The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • Why not give me no indication of which direction I should be heading, so I come up against things I'm not equipped to deal with, then make it impossible to escape from them?

You know how Mario has the occasional bit of frustration among a sea of joy? This is like the opposite.
  • I assume this isn't one of the Zeldas that counts your continues? Because that'd be spectacle unfair.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    Why not give me no indication of which direction I should be heading, so I come up against things I'm not equipped to deal with, then make it impossible to escape from them?

You know how Mario has the occasional bit of frustration among a sea of joy? This is like the opposite.

Use the map and run away. It's not far cry with indicators. The idea is to explore the world, without that it's a ten hour but of nothingness.

And you can take anything on with anything.
  • That's bullshit, I wasn't making a scratch on this with the weapons I had; they did have all worn out out run out of ammo before I killed it. Like I said, running away was impossible, it gave chase as fast as I could run and was leeching health the whole time.

I'm leaning toward saying that this game is objectively badly designed, but maybe the idea is that you're meant to die and continue a lot, in order to discover what's what (in which case, they should have made that more obvious or incorporated it into the story).
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I can't even comprehend that to respond mate. Greatest of all time, this game.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    AJ wrote:
    I'm leaning toward saying that this game is objectively badly designed

Lol.
  • Not all of it, some of it's really well done. But things occur that design principals say you shouldn't allow unless they're part of your core philosophy.
  • You will definitely die more in this than any other 3D Zelda. That is indeed part of the learning.
    At that point you have options though.
    1. Bugger off elsewhere remembering that enemy type is tough.
    2. Look for better weapons and/or craft buffs that will give additional hearts or damage variants.
    3. Look to see if the enemy has a weakness or if the environment is offering things that can be used to help e.g piles of logs.
    4. Use the tablet powers to your advantag and set traps.
  • Thanks, handy to be reminded of the options. I was more pissed off that the game has put me in a situation where I basically had no choice but to die (or, I guess, suddenly get really fucking good with bombs) without giving any indication that's how things are this time. I mean, Dark Souls managed it really well, so it's not like it's impossible or anything.
  • I thought the game pretty naturally guided your progression Eastwards, which was certainly reflected by a good 70-80% of people's maps I saw heading east first.
  • As did I, then I hit sea, so thought I'd head back West and go around...

Shall head back over there and see if there's a way through I missed.
  • You must be pretty bad at the game. Every single encounter can be toppled with stuff around the environment, with base health and stamina. It's been done. YouTube vids galore. You can do anything straight out the gate after leaving the plateau.

There are enemies that will one shot you easily - it teaches you to avoid them. There's always a way to escape. The game can be very much about stealth and avoidance and is often more enjoyable when played that way IMO. Sadly, the combat is not good enough to warrant getting into scraps constantly.
  • I'm not great at the combat, no, and since, like you say, it's not great, I can't be arsed to practice and get better.

Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that combat skill levels required would be similar to all other Zeldas released this century, which have caused no problems at all, but I did.

Too much has changed from the standard Zelda formula for me. I knew they'd mixed it up, but I didn't realise how much.
  • I need to give this more time. It seemed all-very-wonderful and I can absolutely see why people adore it, but it hadn't quite clicked with me. The survival stuff and weapon degradation irritated me too.

I've not tried it on the big screen. That might make a difference.
  • AJ wrote:
    I'm not great at the combat, no, and since, like you say, it's not great, I can't be arsed to practice and get better.

Perhaps I shouldn't have assumed that combat skill levels required would be similar to all other Zeldas released this century, which have caused no problems at all, but I did.

Too much has changed from the standard Zelda formula for me. I knew they'd mixed it up, but I didn't realise how much.

Fair enough.
  • I didn't die much in this.  I was honestly crap at the combat too, never really got the timings down, often forgot the buttons.  I made sure I always had a stock of fairies as a safety net and if I faced something that swiped my hearts away too quickly I ran or warped.  Part of the beauty is that it caters for all sorts of players - people might say you're playing it wrong for rushing it, but I enjoyed doing the quest at a canter.
  • All my fairies keep running out. I really welcome blood moons because it means I can get more.

I've been enjoying the shrines (not including the combat challenges, obviously), random side quests, collecting shit and dressing up. I'm a little excited about being able to level up a house this time.
  • Great fairy spoilers below.

You can get more by fast travelling to Kakariko Village and heading up the hill to the fairy fountain.  There's another one within gliding distance of a tower but I can't remember where.  Restocking only ever took 3-4 minutes including load times.  I didn't venture out during blood moons.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The combat is incredibly easy.

I can't trust any of you any more.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Great fairy spoilers below.

You can get more by fast travelling to Kakariko Village and heading up the hill to the fairy fountain.  There's another one within gliding distance of a tower but I can't remember where.  Restocking only ever took 3-4 minutes including load times.  I didn't venture out during blood moons.

I find they don't restock except at blood moons. Maybe a patch changed it out something. Or I'm just not paying attention
  • Maybe blood moons have something to do with it and I just didn't notice.  I only found two fountains and didn't have a problem with respawning fairies.  Could have just got lucky I guess.
  • The combat is incredibly easy.

I can't trust any of you any more.

You're taking to someone who gave up on Dark Souls in Undead Burg (I think that's what I was called; really early area) and has never played a Bayonetta on anything above normal. I often use the "casual" difficulty setting on things. I thought you knew this.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Maybe blood moons have something to do with it and I just didn't notice.  I only found two fountains and didn't have a problem with respawning fairies.  Could have just got lucky I guess.

Or didn't get the shit kicked out of you so often to require that many.
  • I barely used fairies during my playthrough. When you can make OP healing items from food very easily I found them pointless. Just pause the game and heal whenever you're in trouble. It makes all encounters trivial. One of the games big flaws if you ask me.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Yeah, the food system is broken AF once something clicks:

Spoiler:
  • I barely used fairies during my playthrough. When you can make OP healing items from food very easily I found them pointless. Just pause the game and heal whenever you're in trouble. It makes all encounters trivial. One of the games big flaws if you ask me.

When you've few hearts and 1-2 hits from many things kill you, they're pretty damned useful. Also if, like me, you don't always remember to pay attention to how your health's doing.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Yeah, the food system is broken AF once something clicks:

Spoiler:

If you could point me at this location, I'd appreciate it, that's one variant of food I don't seem to come across often.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I can’t recall exactly, but it’s in the SE of the map, the tower is next to a cliff, close to something that I don’t want to spoil but which was pretty much the only thing that I saw that I thought was genuinely pretty awesome in the whole game.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!