The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Wild West
  • After playing this in portable mode, it's really obvious why motion aiming is the default, it's really pretty fucked with the Joy-Con stick, isn't it?

Anyway, I'm a good way through the first devine beast. Glad I kept going, it's definitely a good game, once you get past the issues. Still not better than Mario, though. Undecided if I prefer it to Edith Finch etc. or not.

That Zora Princess' voice though, fuck is it annoying.
  • I had zero problems aiming the whole time and had motion aiming switched off.
  • Maybe my Joy-Cons are fucked...
  • If the voice acting is grating try switching to the Japanese voice over.
  • I considered it; I imagine the actors chosen would be a little more fitting. At the end of the day, it's not that common and doesn't bother me overly, though.
  • I switched language and have no regrets.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    I switched language before I started the game. I don't really need understandable speech in a Zelda game.

It did slightly scare me, when at some point later in the game (think after two or 3 Divine Beasts)
    Spoiler:
  • Right, if it's recommended then I'll give the Japanese voices a go this evening.
  • Well, the bits with speech are vastly improved with the Japanase audio. Think I might prefer the English track for the random noises people do for any non-voiced dialogue better, though.
  • These fucking horses, though. I look forward to replaying SOTC, to confirm that Agro isn't such a stupid shit as these.

In technical terms, I think the cone used to predict collisions is just too wide and/or long. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but that game where you race over the fences is really getting on my tits.
  • I can't believe you're having trouble with that. Do you have hands or stumps?

I'm starting to wonder whether people just assume that's how the game controls and from then on just stubbornly refuse to try it any other way.
  • I find something annoying if I have to retry more than a handful of times due to something being obtuse or overly picky, which I reckon the horse mechanics are. I don't think anything else in the game has taken this many goes, not even the Lynel.

What do you mean people assume that's how it controls?
  • It has just occurred to me that it might be possible to attribute some of my gripes on the horse jumping to the gate models not being representative enough of the clearance needed on them.
  • More of a genuine concern than the horse - after all, that's really only affecting things on one pointless minigame - is the weather. A few times now, I've been part way through doing something when it starts raining and I have to either wait until it stops or come back later and redo the first half again.

I suppose this sums up the core of my issue with the game: it's far too eager to waste your time.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Weather acting like weather well god damn
  • The rain is a fairly standard gripe to be fair, a valid one as well.

I was OK with it as I was irrationally in love with the world but they could have done with something to make it change, even if it was a consumable item or an item that required a recharge.
  • Hell, some wet weather climbing gear early on would work.

I dunno, it just feels a bit like Nintendo spent so long making so much of this game quality, they didn't have time to give everything their usual level of polish, or something.
  • My horse is currently stuck on a ledge, half way down a cliff, which I have no hope of getting it back from without visiting a stable.

This is now the entry for horse in my compendium, so I guess it's not all bad.
  • Yay! AJ has found something in Zelda he enjoys! ;)

For the record, I wasn't feeling it at all, until a  change in personal circumstances meant I was restricted to playing it portable mode only...and then it took off.  I was able to appreciate it anew as a sort of high budget handheld title, evoking happier times playing games on my DS.  I think my biggest gripe was that the over-world was no where near as detailed as the classic Bethesda open-world games that I play (pointless comparison really) and that barrenness was so off-putting.

But now, I've just got into the groove of sneakstriking, crafting and upgrading, whilst enjoying the new abilities that downing the Guardians brings.  It is now always on my mind, even when I'm not playing it - which is always a good sign.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Nah, bomb fishing turned out to be rubbish; I was just excited when I found out you could.

Did find plenty of things to enjoy, though. Everything picked up once I got past the initial dullness, noticed how to work around the shittier things and realised that the writers expected you to think for yourself and not just blindly do what you're told all the time. Combat got a lot easier once it became clear that perfect dodging/blocking is basically unneeded, too.

Didn't like it in portable mode, though; it felt way too fiddly.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yep. It's undoubtedly better on a big screen. Mario though, after I got over the losing the nunchuk controls, was fine as a handheld game.

All this triple AAA talk reminds me...

Quick! To the Switch thread!
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • It was more the controls than anything that didn't work so well in portable. Same issue with Mario, for me.

I've said this elsewhere but, while the Joy-Cons have the best sticks I've ever used on a portable, they suck arse compared to ones on a proper pad. Zelda exasperated this by needing some fairly precise aiming at points.
  • Bloody hell, booting this up after months is daunting as fuck. Help.
  • Go to the options, look at what side quests you have on the go and pick one.

The game will pull you back in on the way to your destination. Something on the horizon will intrigue you or you'll end up chasing something in a field.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • That..... Makes sense.

Cheers!
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Bloody hell, booting this up after months is daunting as fuck. Help.

Trade it for Mario Odyssey.
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Bloody hell, booting this up after months is daunting as fuck. Help.

Wait... Where are you (answers in a spoiler)?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Making of BotW, Creating a Champion, a massive book being published by Dark Horse comics, is up for preorder on Amazon.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    It's long but Matthew's a good one.  It'll be interesting to see if and how they iterate on the design in five years' time.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!