Darksiders 2
  • It's to stop second hand sales. This is the way of the world now.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Don't worry too much about that damage, temp. Next to nothing for a long time is going to be doing enough damage for you to worry about being hit. Dodge a lot against big enemies, and away you go. (Basically, for the most part, I'm pretty sure you can just about mash your way through this, if you level up stuff and make good possessed gear.

Also, @tempy: sent you a weapon. It's a lightning weapon that you probably won't be able to wield, but it should mean you can level up an early possessed weapon quickly, and with added lightning, which should be fun for you for the early stages. (Make sure you use the weapon to actually go over into the next level, don't just feed it to move the bar.)

Yeah, it's just the lack of feedback, no stumble when you're getting chewed up and the rumble is mapped to your attacks not theirs. Also the dodge is lightning fast but covers a ton of distance making using it an occasional danger.

Keep fallin of Leeds too, heh.

Thanks for the weapon, I'll pick it up and send you a shite one in return for the 'cheev. I maxed out some possessed gauntlets but I'm not a fan of them, far too quick and you can't dodge out of some of te combos leading to unwanted hits. I'm levelling up combat abilities rather than minions, teleport dash is a lot of fun.
  • Is it actually any good, the dash? Didn't appeal so I've stuck a couple of points minion side for now.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I really like the teleport dash, especially when you upgrade it to both take health and explode enemies. Awesome stuff.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • It makes you invulnerable as far as I can tell. It also heals you a little bit. Add on abilities later allow you to burn enemies or freeze them, it also has a nifty thing where for a period afterwards your Wrath increases faster, obviously that is super useful.
  • Hmmm might have to look at it. Can always respec later if I don't get on with minions.
  • Yep, respec is super cheap, which is great.
  • Aww yeah. Haven't had a chance to get proper stuck in yet, need to have a big session on it.
  • General consensus is good then?
    I have my copy, but haven't started yet. I've redeemed my codes and downloaded my bonus weapons, but not actually started.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • What consensus do you need? I have spoken.

And I've nearly finished.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I re Jon it's good. I really liked the original.
    Just haven't started the sequel yet
  • Is that first sentence a typo or your best Sean Paul impression?

I've got the house to myself today, and did most of the housework during the week. this is getting finished today.

Will post elaborated comments after that. There's quite a bit to discuss, I reckon it's an interesting case study in "borrowing," content and overall structure, as well as the How to's... of expanding puzzle design.
  • Face, side quests in The Forge Lands, namely 'Kill X' when do they get locked?
  • Game is always nice. And some you can't do until you have abilities from second area. So answer is never, so far.
  • Yeah, that's a drunk auto correct typo
  • And it's done.

Well, first playthrough anyway.

Overall, cracking game. And I have to say outright that the Edge 6 is overly harsh. This game is not the second coming, and is derivative in many ways, but it's also undeniably enjoyable in a very straightforward way. Pretty much everything works, and works well. There's no harsh punishment for death, and any foibles with the platforming and even the fighting can be easily forgiven in light of that. It's not challenging in the same sense as a Souls game, but heck, after hammering Dark and being stuck in Demon's, that wasn't an issue for me.

So, the Good:

- it's copped some flack for being a little past it graphically, but I think it looks fab. Great looking hub areas, and dungeons, massive spectacular views and characters, and enough variety so I wasn't, for the most part, sick of looking at it. (A couple of spots were a touch long in the tooth.)

- Possessed weapons/loot. This aspect is absolutely nailed. The weapon upgrading and hunting is awesome. Kinda wish you could also do it with the pistol you get early on.

- combat. Not amazing, and you can pretty much just mix and match between X and Y to do big combos, but it's always pretty spectacular, and you do feel pretty badass smashing people around.

- (Most of) the bosses. Not particularly challenging, but enough variety and ott action for entertainment's sake.

- The early dungeons. The puzzling early/midway through the game is spot on.

- Voice acting. Is really good, tbh. Big, silly etc. But so is the story, it's certainly not cringe inducing. 

The bad:

- I had a couple of issues with the game completely freezing in specific spots. NONE of them effected being able to get anywhere or move the game forward, but yeah, not good.

- ability management. Dare I say this game could have been better with Kinect? Or something. Either way, managing all the combat and platforming abilities with LB plus the 4 face buttons was probably pushing a 360 (or ps3) controller too far. (tbh, hotkeys on a PC might actually make things much easier. Curtis?) Towards the end, during later puzzles, you're having to manage 3 platforming abilities, in between the odd fairly serious fight, it means you have to shuffle stuff around a fair bit.

I think I'll spoiler the rest, as I'm gonna touch of specific abilities and story and such:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    Spoiler:
    A little break now, and then mop up on some side quests and then NG+ here I come.
  • Meh. Fuck it. The Edge review was late last time, not getting caught again.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Just got to the third section of the game. Has been a blast so far despite having a few niggles: combat is still wooly and the dodge is useless in big brawls as you get attacked from off screen with zero warning, judicious use of abilities that earn you health and decent weapons are seeing me through though.

Fair amount of back tracking, so thank god for the fast travel. Environments are nice but dungeons aren't that varied as they stick to the theme of the area they are in, no bother though as they are mostly linear in nature. Graphics are lovely in their own special way, very detailed but with large strokes and ideas on a massive scale: a highlight was the animations of the serpents at The Gilded Arena.

I now have 200k gold and Possessed Scythes and a sub-quest boss's claws as a weapon. Gonna keep on trucking...
  • I have ended up jumping into NG+.

I finished off one of the side quests, but could not be arsed hunting through the entire world for a few more scrolls to find my way through the maze in the second major area. So I still have a few mysteries to solve.

A collecting quest that I only discovered in the second last area, the invisible beasties dotted around the world and why I still have 2 spare ability slots.

I upped the difficulty and went into NG+ too. I think I'll actually get to really test out the fighting mechanics now.

If you're that far in tempy, and you are only using a boss weapon, then you haven't been making enough possessed stuff, I reckon. If you're level 10ish, and have a couple of possessed items around the 9-10 mark, with good feeding you'll make something that definitely outshines any of the boss weapons from the early game.

I can defo suggest speaking to the trainer on the serpent boat too, temp. He sells skills for each of the different weapons, as well as specific moves.

Also, the bearded lion looking dude who's the second area merch, the goth items he wants you to collect can be very very handy. Some of them only give you gold, but others up your stats and some of them give you a free skill point!

I've tried the gauntlets and armblades and what not, they can defo be fun, and their nice and quick, but I found it to be all about the big slow maces, axes and glaives. They knock muppets back, and with their big wide swings can hit multiple enemies at once. And because they take off so much health in one hit, you can pretty consistently use them as a finisher. If you have them set to give you health per kill, that's uber handy.

Also, if you're worried about getting hit off screen, the minions are AWESOME. Down the right hand side of their skill tree there's a thing that makes enemies focus on them. It WORKS. It completely thins out the enemies and lets you pick them off and get settled. Especially if you just stand back and use the pistol to get wrath back.

All the collect 'em up stuff resets for NG+ and the abilities tied to the story still need to be unlocked, but you keep all your weapons and stats.
  • I've got a level 18 possessed scythe which is better than Bhethir's Talons but they aren't dropping very often, I've only had 4 in total. Achidna's Claws are amazing because they drain life so the slightly lower damage doesn't matter for now.

I have a prediction for the big weapons too but my last Possessed Hammer is getting outstripped a little now by purple drops. I want to get to level 20 to use Argul's Mace, I reckon he was the Dark Soul-ish boss you were on about? Had Asylum Demon flashbacks.
  • yep. The deposed king. I can confirm that it does what it says on the tin. Including freezing enemies in blocks of ice. It's monster.

Interestingly, I'm just about enjoying NG+ more combat wise. I actually think there's possibly enough in the fighting system so that if they'd chosen too, they nearly could have gone less enemies doing more damage so you actually have to worry about being hit.

Lot of crazy lot dropping in NG+ which is nice. Still waiting on an NG+ possessed weapon though. (Should check if I can upgrade my old ones more now.)
  • Should I sell the crap weapons/armour I find or are they useful for something?
  • You can feed them to possessed weapons. I sent you some stuff too.
  • Oooo, I'll finally get back to it on Thursday I think.
  • I've played this for a grand total of 15 mins. Enough time to get to the place where you meet the giant dwarf-like men with the awesome beards.
    Seems to be more fun than the original. But I really need to give it a bit more time. So much to do, so much to do.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Should I sell the crap weapons/armour I find or are they useful for something?

You can pretty safely sell them. And/or hold on to ones with bonus stats. It's very user friendly with the colour coding when they're on the ground. Green means that the weapon is better than what you have a equipped in some stats. (Don't assume it's better across the board though, as you may have an awesome set of boots with +30 to crit damage or something, yet they're highlighted green because they give you 2 more strength or something. Still, as I say, it's a good guide.)

Purple stuff is rare, red stuff is clearly lower than what you have (but still may be useful for feeding and/or selling) And grey highlighted stuff is basically stuff with no perks.

I basically spent the game splitting stuff between being fed to possessed weapons and selling them to merches for the cash.

See a couple of pages back for my long ramblings about feeding possessed weapons. I am still of the opinion that it's totally worth keeping weapons that give bonuses to similar things when making possessed weapons. (eg: Feed lots of frost weapons to the one possessed weapon, as opposed to feeding it some frost and some fire. Or making a weapon uber at giving you wrath back, or health etc.)
  • Re: possessed stuff... feeding them more of one type doesn't seem to do anything. I tried with Critical Chance and couldn't get it higher than 18% but luckily they all had other buffs too.

From my experiments, you can add one ability per level except for level 5 which lets you bolster a previous level.
  • No, you'll see stuff highlighted in white and green, and they seem to be the active things that will help the stats. I'm pretty sure (but not 100%) that you can deliberately keep a weapon to less perks. If you only feed it stuff with limited things, you seem to force it to extra buff items you already have. (I have a couple of weapons that give me 500 health because of that.

You are right that if you're just feeding it stuff, it'll nearly always give you the option to add, but if you limit it's choices deliberately, then you basically force it to give you extra points to what you want instead of adding, prior to level 5.
  • White lets you add that thing, and green lets you buff existing, right? Need a full FAQ because I didn't get the option to buff crit chance until level 5 again despite feeding it all crit items for the buff.
  • I picked this up on Sunday, loved the first - And I'm only a few hours in but I'm enjoying it.

I have absolutely no idea why they chose to put a sticker with an '86%' score on the cover though - I'm sure it has something to do with some exclusive review deal, but it got far higher praise in most other places...

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!