Darksiders 2
  • @aaron: colour jem guy is in the fjord. You'll see him when you have an explore on your way to one of the early quests.

had a couple of bugs yesterday. The sound has moments where it just dies. Not often, but sometimes three quarters of the sound effects and the score just vanish. Save, quit and restart usually fixes it, if it doesn't right itself in a new section.

Also had it freeze going back to an old dungeon. Reported it on the THQ forums. I could still warp to the dungeon, but there was a particular route that just froze every time. No biggie, in my case, and looking at the forums, it doesn't seem endemic, but still a touch annoying.

Have cracked on some more and opened up the next area. Still have heaps to do in the second area (and the first), but it's all good. Have some really fuck off possessed gear now.

(The other thing to note, speaking of the game being awesome and friendly, is that you can just pay 1000 gold to respec your skill tree whenever you want.)

BTW: if you get the "limited edition" - and I think every edition is "limited" at the moment, you get the code for "The crucible," which is basically the arena mode. You can't use it to level up, but every 10 waves you get more loot, and it's fantastic fun and great training for working on dealing with enemies.

@bogard: The bosses have been a lot more transparent this time, I reckon, they've all had a thing, and been quite forgiving. (bar one of the side quests, there's a boss there that's awesome, but very tough. Not because I don't know what to do, but because he actually has some nearly one hit kill moves.)

Only thing so far which is almost unforgivable are the couple of timed platforming bits. I've only seen 2 of them, and one was on a side quest, and they're short. BUT jesus christ they're shit. The controls for platforming are fine if you're not rushed, but if one mistake kills you, then it breaks down quickly. As I said though, they're few and far between, thankfully. And I certainly wouldn't say they stop me loving the game overall.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Face’s posts in this thread convinced me to buy this over the new Transformers game last night.

Have only played maybe 2 hours so far, loving it!

In fact the only things annoying me are that i’m often unsure which parts of the level i’m allowed to platform on, and that you’re not allowed to use the d-pad in menus (pet hate).

Very pretty game, like that masters of the universe look the main character has going. All very stylish.

Haven’t had to test the depth of the fighting system just yet, no complaints so far though.

Loot drops seem fine, agree that the possessed weapon system is fantastic. Found a big arse axe that just carves it up. Hoping to find a set of possessed claws next.

I KNOW that bloke who sells you random rare equipment will be taking all my gold for the foreseeable future, can’t resist that kind of stuff. Keen to find my Death a shirt; he’s found some kind of belt like bandolier arrangement slung over his shoulders Mexican cowboy style, but no shirt underneath. Getting slightly Peter Andre.

Best part, i meant to turn this game off directly after the tutorial but stuck around for some time longer because i was genuinely interested in seeing what was round the corner, very promising start.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • In fact the only things annoying me are that i’m often unsure which parts of the level i’m allowed to platform on, and that you’re not allowed to use the d-pad in menus (pet hate). 

Agreed on the d-pad thing. As far as what to platform on, it becomes pretty obvious after a while (or if you've played the first). You can run on walls with scratches. You can grab on to the wooden looking bits on ledges. You can climb that crawling vine and you can hold on to wooden poles. There's some other stuff that's context sensitive with particular items, but it'll become second nature. The game really sticks to it's rules.
  • I went on into the second area yesterday, I intend to head back into the Forge Lands a bit late rin order to collect everything/do side quests so I will hit the gem guy then.

The second area is amazing, so gothic and dark. I love it.

I also think that Death sounds brilliant. Great work and casting.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • I'm gonna cave in and buy it soon, I can just tell.
  • I'm getting it tomorrow, yep. Will murder it before Borderlands 2 for the trade.
  • Yeah I'm gonna murder sleeping dogs for the trade, then do a second murdering of this to get that. There will be a lot of murdering going on, both of the games and IN the games.
  • can't help but think they should have released this game 2-3 months earlier.  It will get swallowed by Dark Souls, Borderlands 2, Sleeping Dogs, Halo 4 etc etc etc etc.....

cracking game though,  very grown up zelda.   Have stopped playing so I can have a play on the first one when I am not playing Sleeping Dogs or Dark Souls PTD edition.
  • Cleaning up the second major area before cracking on. There's still some stuff that I'm yet to work out. There's one new ability which I definitely haven't got yet, and there's a further one which I think may be optional. otherwise I'm slightly scared they're gonna make a couple of mistakes that they made in the first.

We'll see.

Further Pro-tip: save the Maze in the second area until you've had a good explore of the whole area and done all or most of the locales. Reason will become obvious after a while.

• Is the maze the third tomb you need to explore? I'm just about to head towards the Phariseers Tomb.
  • No, it's a little seperate one, it's named on the map. The main quest doesn't take you there. It's next to the city of the dead. Just do everything until you get out of their and then go back to it, IMO.
  • Cheers for the heads up!
  • Getting this tonight
  • Gave up during the end bit but watched it on Youtube. Life is too short.
  • I fancy getting this as I've got Sleeping Dogs out the way but having only just recently finished the first I may give it a while so as not to 'Darksiders' myself out, is it a massive improvement from the first or reasonably similar in style and mechanics?
  • I would also like to know that.
  • The answer is kinda both. It's very much a follow on, but improves a lot. Will answer properly in a bit.
  • It is very similar in regards to the structure of the game (going through dungeons, picking up new abilities, fighting bosses at the end) and it certainly retains the style. But it is so much more........epic! Everything is that little bit bigger and it has chucked in a load of new mechanics (riding the constructs has been good fun so far) and mixed it all up with some RPG elements (levelling up, unlocks, loot, side quests) but it is still unmistakenly Darksiders.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    So I've heard the Darksiders series compared to Zelda... I don't really like Zelda, but am apparently not against the entire formula as I liked Okami. Am I likely to like Darksiders?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Probably, yes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Edge have given this an
    Spoiler:

Discuss.
  • Edge have given this an
    Spoiler:
    Discuss.

'a', not 'an'
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • It's to discourage spoiling, duh.

Not surprised really.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    It was a joke based around the last fool who put [8] in white text on good old maroon, but the 'an' in front gave the score away.

Anyway, once you've finished laughing at my stellar wit, what the fuck is going on at Edge? First Sleeping Dogs, now this?
  • It was a joke based around the last fool who put [8] in white text on good old maroon, but the 'an' in front gave the score away. Anyway, once you've finished laughing at my stellar wit, what the fuck is going on at Edge? First Sleeping Dogs, now this?

Overly harsh score (alledgedly, I haven't played it yet, but I will)....next Call of Duty a dead cert for at least an [8]? I'd say it's business as usual.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • FranticPea
    Show networks
    Xbox
    FranticPea
    PSN
    FranticPea
    Steam
    FranticPea

Send message
    It's all our fault for leaving.
  • Finally reviewed it eh. Guess that's me finally decided.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Really? Like the way they gave Sleeping Dogs the same but everyone who has played it has loved it?

It's all well and handy using them as a barometer but they've gone to pot on a lot of fronts recently.
  • Giving this game a [what they gave it] smells dangerously of, I dunno, overthinking the process.

Still, given the final third of the first, I'll finish this one before really paying out on them.

Although so far it's going to go down as a brilliant [what they gave it].

Also what aaron said.

The other major thing that's changed, and I only realised this watching a clip of the first, is that Death is much much quicker at EVERYTHING. movement, both in battle and platforming is uber quick compared to War.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!