Darksiders 2
  • What numpty did the artwork for the box? They chopped of the guy's head and the horse's feet. Amateurs!

Does look good though, I always meant to finish the first one, might get this one as a bit of Dark Souls relief.
  • I think I'll pick this up once a few more positive reviews trickle through (an Edge 8 would be nice).  I read the Gamesmaster review at work today, it does sound pretty good.  I never played the first one, but apparently it works as a standalone story. 

I'm not sure whether to buy it and sell it once I complete it, or take my chances with Lovefilm.  It'll probably take me three months to finish, if Skyward Sword is anything to go by, which will tide me over nicely while I wait for Halo 4.
  • Gay. Need to finish KoA and Me3....why this? Why now?
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Sounds good. Also sounds just like the original in that they've thrown a shed load of ideas at it and not developed them as fully as they could.
  • Reviews are generally rather positive (CVG, IGN, Gamesradar) but I have found they all say different things. For instance, CVG didn't like the combat, saying it was nothing special and too repetative. Whereas Gamesradar loved it. It seems like it is splitting opinion on the details but everyone is saying that it is a great game overall.

I can't wait for next Tuesday.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    The first game didn't really hold my attention, but this is thoroughly enjoyable!

Combat is much improved, and very satisfying. Graphics are great (silly over-exagerrated character design aside). The music is the biggest surprise - just sublime, and totally not what you expect for this sort of game. Overall i'm impressed. I only bought it as a stop-gap 'til Dark Souls comes out next week, but i reckon i'll still be playing it past then.
  • Just watched the trailers and this looks fantastic, but, then, something occurred to me.
    I thought back to the first game, and then realised I had heard the voice of War again since then. The guy who voiced War also did the voice of Caius Ballad in FFXIII-2, he's also credited in the recent Spider-man game and Spec Ops the Line
  • Getting today.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • FUCK YEAH!

Barely started, but it's fucking amazing so far.

The pre game signing up and unlock codes and faffing about with THQ shite can get tae, but the gameplay is leaving all forgiven.
  • This is so good. Everything just works.
  • Gonna see if installing improves some of the load times.

Just did my first proper dungeon and ride around. I can't tell you how good pretty much everything about this game is. It's balls to the wall fun. Has paid attention to Souls in its own way. Without being as tough.

Have a possessed weapon now. They have their own level up system and you can choose different perks as you go! It's amaze.

I just got given a gun. Snap.

If they don't fuck up the end of this game then we have gold on our hands.

Edit: you can send friends items in game!!!
  • Awesome. Will probably buy it with a view to smashing it before Borderlands 2, I did like the first until went wrong.
  • Can confirm that installing is WELL worth it. Still the odd load, but much less intrusive.

Second dungeon is awesome. The gun works a treat, and - fuck me - everything just works how you want it to. You can lock on, you can switch enemies, the camera is pretty well behaved, the jumping around is rudimentary, but certainly not broken.

What's particularly awesome is the horseback combat. It just fucking works. You're much safer, you can do swipe bys on tough enemies. you can use your gun. And on it goes.

Difficulty is just right, I've not died in battle yet, but the tougher enemies could certainly get me if I was being a nupty.

As curtis says, the music is stand out. I can't believe how good it looks though. Those beautiful strong colours and entrances to areas are turned up to 11 in this.

They have also got picking up loot and sifting through it on the fly pretty well right.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I'm getting the CE which comes with the soundtrack, so I'm glad to hear it's decent.
    Get schwifty.
  • @Facewon and Curtis: You are making the wait for Tuesday even more agonizing than it was!!!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Sorry.

But seriously. I'm loving every second.
  • I watched the Machinima review (protip - don't if you want this game to be a surprise), it was spoiler central, showing off many locations, story aspects and abilities.

There's something about the art I really don't like, it just seems kind of kids tv cartoon to me. Also, they said it's very similar to the first which i gave up on after the first dungeon, so till this is 20 quid I'll wait, unless i get some time to refamiliarise myself with the first this weekend and end up really enjoying it. Finished he first big dungeon as I recall.
  • I LOVE the style. It's perfect for the action. The locales are massive. They feel huge, they look EPIC. And the combat shits all over the first. heck, even the title screen when you leave it idle is well done! Plus, rather than being relatively linear, you can wander a bit in this. Still need to follow the story and get abilities, but you can have a good old play around and find new stuff.

Plus there's loot to be found.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    I hate the stupid Image Comics "look Mom, i can draw big arms and boots" character design, but the world itself is lush!

I'm assuming the 360 version looks pretty snazzy, cause the PC port has very little in the way of upgrade options.
  • I need to play the first one I think. I have it sitting there to have a shot. I played the first level in the city, and tbh it played like a spiderman game. 
    I guess it gets better after the first couple of levels then? 

I might get this in a month or two. And after I've played binary domain and completed Dark Souls.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  •   I guess it gets better after the first couple of levels then?

The first needs a little context. It's the little-ish game that could. (Well, THQ threw money at, but still, new IP.)

It's derivative, I guess, but in the best way. ie. Took a bunch of ideas, but implemented them well. The combat is hardly bayonetta, and it's certainly no Souls. it's probably a touch mashy. But gee the big action and characters cover a lot, and it never felt super cheap. It probably shouldn't work, in that it's a little design by committee and really really tries hard not to piss the player off. (DS 2 is following suit. Map tells you where chests are, death just resets you at the start of a room, you can't lose anything.)

The first one for the first 2 thirds, as has been mentioned, is awesome. It loses it's way, but again, it tries not to piss you off too much, so it gets a bit boring, but it's not teeth nashing difficulty that's in the way. I trudged through to the end to see the story out, and for the sake of following on with DS2, I think it's entirely worth it.

This is Zelda and Diablo combined, no doubt, but done with such polish that you don't care. Camera's been getting a little funky in big fights, especially as I've gone down the route of having lots of minions, but nothing in the game is doing enough damage to make that a major issue. There's no one hit kill beasties.

As far as the loot and weapons go, they look like they've got the system set up pretty well. You get access to merchants and whatnot pretty early. When you first meet them you'll only have a few k in gold. But by the time you finish the first dungeon after that, you can come back and sell stuff and you'll be flush to buy some pretty cool stuff straight away. (Like diablo, I wouldn't be going nuts buying weapons, as you find a lot of pretty cool items.)

Possessed weapons seem like they work pretty much as you'd want them too. They're not instantly uber, but you can really tweak them. All the weapons have a level attached to them. 1, 2, 3 etc. Which is aligned with your level, and also dictates what sort of base damage they'll do. The possessed weapons have the same levels, but you can feed them other weapons to level them up. And the coolest thing about that is that not only will that lift it's basic stats (so if it's doing 60 damage, it'll go up to 70 or whatever) you also get to chose other perks to upgrade. So you can pump points into crit chance, or crit damage or add fire or whatever. And you can rename the possessed weapons! Awesome. Early on, I got some level 3 possessed claws. Fed 'em a few weapons, but Vigil seem to have balanced it well. To make an uber possessed weapon, you need to feed it good weapons, which obviously takes away from the gold you could earn selling them to merchants. My gut feeling, having played through the start, is that you're better off holding out until you get a level 7-8 possessed weapon and building that. (I'm not sure if feeding p weapons weapons with ice damage or fire damage etc effects what perks you can add to the possessed weapon. Might be handy if it does though. You could save a bunch of ice weapons, for instance, and level it with only them.)

Also, the game has instant access to fast travel via the world map. yay.

Voice acting is really good too. In a VERY VERY cheesy way. Although the Scots around here might wince a bit.

About 10 hours in now. Have a shitload of little nooks and chests and collectables I'm hanging to get back to in early areas, but the story is cracking along too. So far, it doesn't seem as sprawling as a KoA or Skyrim, as far as side quests go, which, IMO, is a good thing. There's a few on going collection quests, and maybe 1-2 secondary quests at any one time. Just right.

God I hope they don't fuck up the end of this one.
  • Awesome. Can confirm that it does depend what you feed a possessed weapon as to what upgrades it gets.

I now have scythes that do a number of things, but amongst them is regen health on each kill (with them as the finisher). Can confirm that all stats that you add go up each time you level the weapon up too. haven't found a limit to the number of things it could do, so my health regen ones also increase crit hit chances and also add more health if I finish with a b button finishing move. To keep things in check, because of the weapon levels, if you got too many items and fed them to your weapon to quickly, you could level it past you and not be able to wield it until you levelled up again. As in character level up, obviously.

It's a really really clever system. And with the ability to gift items to other players, I reckon dudes will be able to share some pretty awesome stuff.

Doesn't seem like there's much of an issue with carrying too much stuff, btw, and even if there is a limit. Feeding the odd shit weapon to your possessed stuff will free space.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Doing the second dungeon on DS1, and by fuck is it getting awsome son.
  • How's the music? I hear it's by Jesper Kyd
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • He did a a hitman a while back, yeah?

Anyways, as curtis mentioned, it's top notch. A touch cheesy, a touch ott, but totally in keeping and really lovely. The sound in general is great.
  • Ah, I don't think possessed weapons do scale with your level. I think they have a base level, which you have to be at, and then they level up a limited number of times from that base level. Need to keep experimenting. Still, I now have possessed scythes and claws (x attack and y attack respectively) that both do shock damage and both give me health back for kills and sometimes crits.

Game keeps on opening up too. It really is massive. Got more and more to do, and more and more abilities. Because there's a limit to what you can assign to your hotkeys (LB + A Y X or B) you have to think about what you're leveling and what you need and want to use. There are certain paths in your skill tree that just don't complement each other. I'm currently very much going down the "magic/support" route, but the melee route looks awesome too. I wouldn't give up my minions now though. I have 3, they have lots of health, deal fire damage, explode when they die and give me wrath (magic/mana effectively) every time they damage stuff.

PoP is the other obvious influence here, btw, and that aspect is handled very well. Controls are tight. Nothing revolutionary, just tight.

Just opened up an arena mode too. And discovered that there's a bunch of stuff to upgrade through training as far as combat goes.

Everything is awesome.
  • wtf sunglasses.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Heh you so cool Face B)
  • lols. With 3 minions, fire damage, shock damage and crits in BIG NUMBERS, plus about a bazillion explosions on screen at any given time, it's pretty hard to see the combat sometimes. When the dust settles, I'm usually standing there.

It's a game that knows the power of lots of numbers on screen.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!