Darksiders 2
  • goddamit I hope some of you lot are getting this come Tuesday. I'm raving into the void about this game at the moment.

Overall, it's still absolutely stellar. Don't go looking for a challenge anywhere near a Souls equiv; while the Souls games play hard to get, this game is sitting there in a miniskirt repeatedly crossing it's legs. It shamelessly borrows from a bunch of other games, but does it well.

Quibbles so far: the LB + face button moves can be a little cumbersome. And the grapple move using RT is a little bit temperemental. Most of the platforming is very very solid, but the RT grabs aren't as consistent as I'd like. Having said that, the checkpoints are retardly generous, and you lose nothing for dying.

The collecting is building up now. It's cool though, get some really good stuff for some of it. Relics I'm collecting at the moment have given me both gold and skill points so far.

Those of you who prefer your RPGs fairly stat based will like this. I think you could learn to really combo stuff in this and chain things etc etc, but really, you can do just fine thusly: Bunch of enemies appear: LB + face button to summon minions, combos of pressing x and y at various enemies, press B when the icon appears to finish some and repeat. You can chip away with a pistol at some points too, or drag enemies to you on occasion. Now I have my possessed weapons tweaked, I basically don't need health potions unless it's a boss fight. I'm using muppets to get health back.

It's not a major part of the game yet, but I have to mention the on horse combat again. It's so fun. Running around enemies, smacking the shit out of them, shooting them if they're a ways away. makes journeying around a great lol.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Mine has been dispatched. It had better bloody turn up tomorrow!
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Face you're tempting me. If I finish Sleeping Dogs in a reasonable timeframe, maybe a kind soul who has finished this would do a straight swap with me?
  • heh. Maybe. International post might make things expensive, no?

A few cracks have shown up, but thankfully it's so forgiving that I don't mind. There's some quibbles with the platforming, and during a couple of on the clock sections it's a little annoying.

Souls veterans, bare in mind that it's basically the opposite of Souls, in ethos. It's just nice to you, the whole way through, not in an over explaining way, just in the sense that it doesn't really hold back on stuff. I mean, obviously it drip feeds you levels, and new abilities and stuff, but, for instance, you get fast travel straight away, you're pretty handy straight away with solid gear and everything is just functional from the off, and then it's just a steady stream of stuff, and the decisions are more what awesome thing should I use.

Just hit a point where my possessed weapons weren't quite cutting it, so finished the quest I was on and went back to the first area and cleaned up side quests and got to areas with new abilities. Got some new possessed gear and used all the forst weapons I'd been keeping to make a monster frost glaive.

Awesome sauce.

Also, if you get it for 360 Nick, I can send you some premade weapons.
  • I guess the difference between this and Souls, is that one empowers you, while the other makes you feel vulnerable.
    I'm waiting until I get paid to see if I actually have the money for this, which is a pain as I'll miss out on any pre-order packs.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • You can send people weapons? That sounds awesome.

Wasn't thinking you necessarily with the trade Face, cheers for the acknowledgment anyway. Might just buy it outright if this nagging feeling doesn't go away, but I really should try a bit more of the first before.

• Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Any particular reason this is being release on a Tuesday instead of a Friday?  'Tis a pain in the arse as I'm not home again until Friday.
    Get schwifty.
  • I bought this and Sleeping Dogs at the same time and I must admit (much to my surprise) Darksiders 2 has been taking up most of my time.

I've really been enjoying the bite-sized aspects of the level design. The ability to jump in and jump out whenever you need/want to is something I wish more actions games would follow suit. But saying this, the 'dungeons' are so well designed that they're perfectly finish-able in a single 30-60 minute sitting.

Like Face says, there are some niggles with the way the game controls at time. LB and face can be a bit of a finicky way to summon things when you're in a tight spot but for the most part it's a solidly put together action/adventure/RPG game that I'm enjoying.

It's basically a console version of Diablo.
  • Nick wrote:
    You can send people weapons? That sounds awesome.

Not only that, if it's a possessed weapon, you can rename it.

• Facewon wrote:
    Ah, I don't think possessed weapons do scale with your level. I think they have a base level, which you have to be at, and then they level up a limited number of times from that base level. Need to keep experimenting. Still, I now have possessed scythes and claws (x attack and y attack respectively) that both do shock damage and both give me health back for kills and sometimes crits.

Yeah, so I'm still not 100% on the precise limits with possessed, but I think I have it sussed. What I've said so far, appears to be true enough.

You do have a character level, and weapons have levels also. It's true that you can't wield a level 7 weapon if you're level 5, for instance. But with possessed weapons, it's slightly different. They have a base level that you still need to meet to wield them, but when you level them up, that doesn't count with your level. When you're feeding them weapons they go up in levels but it's more as an FYI than a limit. On the upgrade screen there's 5 skulls, I believe they symbolise how far you can upgrade it.

Basically, if you find a level 3 possessed weapon, no matter what you feed it, you won't be able to take it past level 8.

I've since found level 13 base possessed weapons, and that's a much better starting point. because I'd been hording good weapons, I levelled them up quick smart. They'll be fuck off for a good few sections now.

It appears that there's a limited number of stat perks that attach to possessed weapons.

base health, strength, health per kill, health per crit. elemental damage, wrath (magic) per kill and crit, crit damage, arcane damage. There might be a couple of others.

A lot of the gear you get, armor and talismans, has other perks, like +7% to experience or -6% to wrath cost or +5% to gold found, but this sort of stuff seems to not be an option as far as stats you can add to a weapon.

Just found gloves that do passive health regen. hoping that is something I can add to a possessed weapon. There's a definite advantange to buffing possessed over just wearing some of the middle ground sorta stuff.

A bunch of weapons with average damage and +5% to crit damage can go to a possessed weapon, and that will help it upgrade, so that when it levels it will end up with +12% crit damage for example, each level after that the base perks will automatically go up, and you will also get the option to add a new perk (5 perks has been the most I've seen so far) or do an extra buff on an existing perk. Allows for a lot of different ways to skin the cat. I'm tending to wear a lot of gear with crit chance bonuses, and then pumping crit damage and crit chance to my possessed weapons.

Loving this aspect.

And I haven't even got to the uber weapons. There's two tiers to the elemental stuff, and I've not even had the chance to make some of the big stuff. (Got frost stuff, but haven't made ice stuff yet. likewise, fire, there's still inferno to go, and shock stuff is out paced by lightning stuff.)

• Haven't heard "official" game length for this sucker, but I'm 24 hours in and only kinda near the end of the second major area. (Not including a bunch of side quests and hidden areas I can't access yet.) I haven't been grinding particularly, so I have to assume we're looking at something like a 60+ hour campaign. And a bunch more to finish off side quests, plus I know there's a NG+ mode.

Woah. Just got given yet another crazy ability. They really aren't shy about pretty much covering everything.

Discovered more ways to upgrade base stats with some of the collectors stuff.

I'm nearly tempted to pick up a guide for this sucker.

Feels like it's now pushing Skyrim/KoA big. Or at least getting closer than I thought it would.

Hoping it sells well, because they have 2 more horsemen to cover.

My predicto (even though I predicted it after the first game): next game covers the 2 together, and maybe has co-op.

This game is not small in any sense.
  • Copy arrived today.

This is bloody amazing. It looks fantastic, combat is great and the dungeons (only completed the first two so far) have been immense fun.

The main feature that has really stood out is the music. It's just brilliantly epic and always seems to suit what is happening on the screen at the time.
  • Still no news on an Edge review. Bah.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I feel sorry for this game. Just went into HMV and the sticker on the front of the PS3 version reads '86% PLAY'
    If an 86 from a mag like PLAY is your biggest bragging right then you're in trouble.
  • It got some great reviews, check out Metacritic. Not sure why they've decided to quote the PLAY score if its only 86. Maybe only a few reviews had been published at the time of printing stickers.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Facewon wrote:

How Long To Beat has it as 42 hours for longest playthrough, and 18 hours as fastest, so far.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I didn't like the first one. Is this that much better?
  • O M G!!!!!!!!!!!
    Have this on PC through steam...   was going to complete Sleeping Dogs first but having just had a quick crack at this it may get shelved.   This is a grown up Zelda game and a half!  Got the first one from amazon for £1.35,  should I play that first or can I mix and match?
  • bogard wrote:
    I didn't like the first one. Is this that much better?
    Yes, but I reserve the right to retract that depending what you didn't like about the first.
  • O M G!!!!!!!!!!! Have this on PC through steam...   was going to complete Sleeping Dogs first but having just had a quick crack at this it may get shelved.   This is a grown up Zelda game and a half!  Got the first one from amazon for £1.35,  should I play that first or can I mix and match?

The story may not make much sense - but it's fucking nonsense anyway so don't worry too much about that.

The first is a good game though - but the PC port is plagued with resolution and frame-rate issues
  • I can already say that the second game is certainly better, it has just seemed to be made with so much more confidence. The introduction of new abilities is even better than the first and the bosses have been excellent so far too.

• Pro-tip for new players. DO NOT sell or get rid of your possessed weapons. Also, and this will make sense once you start doing it, when levelling them up, try and use average stuff to fill up the meter and then use good stuff with the specific perk you want to take it to the next level.

The bosses have been pretty great so far. All have had different ideas, their was one that required some platforming which was a touch annoying, but mostly, pretty awesome. Also, there's a side quest with an end boss who's fucking tough. The closest this game has gotten to Souls, I reckon.

• MattyJ wrote:
    Facewon wrote:

How Long To Beat has it as 42 hours for longest playthrough, and 18 hours as fastest, so far.

Then the next few areas must shrink.

• I've a couple of the big fights have been reasonably challenging so far (particularly in The Lost Temple) and I'm only on Normal difficulty. As you say, the bosses have been great so far because of the different approach you have to take to them. I hope they keep it up. I'm in the foundry at the moment.
  • have you got the gun yet aaron?

There's a few wardens you want to speak to in the forge lands. They set you up for a couple of side quests and one of the main collection things that runs through the game.

particularly handy is the one who lets you find coloured stones. You can take the stones back to him and feed him 3 at a time, depending on the combo of colours, it ups your stats in different ways.

(The book of the dead pages are also awesome. 10 pages for a chapter and it opens up a tomb in each section filled with awesome shit.)
  • This sounds good, with the news I can get £20 for fifa12 I think I might get this through amazon.
  • This sounds good, with the news I can get £20 for fifa12 I think I might get this through amazon.

£20 for FIFA12? Where?
  • Facewon wrote:
    bogard wrote:
    I didn't like the first one. Is this that much better?
    Yes, but I reserve the right to retract that depending what you didn't like about the first.

Well, I didn't like the bosses. They weren't difficult, but the way to defeat them wasn't always clear enough. The annoying level design forcing me to turn to the internet too many times to count. I guess I would have liked it more if I had bought a guide.
  • @Facewon: Yep I've picked up the gun and have been using it quite a bit. I've picked up quite a few side quests but I haven't come across the colour gem guy, is he in the main Tri-Stone area? I also have the killing certain characters quest but haven't started that yet.

I want to make sure I have the right trigger pulling mechanic thingy unlocked before I really start exploring.
  • Picked this up online today so looking forward to getting stuck in tomorrow. Still not finished the first one but I might try to get past the buggy boss I left off at before moving to 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!