Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Been a long time coming, but I'm finally seen Ragnorok. 

Sadly and a bit surprisingly I really didn't care for it. I say surprisingly because not only am I a big Marvel fan (obvs) I've also loved all Waitit's stuff so far. This didn't work for me as either.

It was just so undercooked and disposable. 

Didn't like the characterization of any of them really. Thor's on usual good form I guess, but pretty much everyone else is underwritten and forgettable. Actually, some of the regulars come out worse than they went in - Hulk/Banner and Loki were utterly misused. 

I get that it's doubling down on comedy this time, and there was definitely a reasonable quota of chuckles, but there were way more misses than hits.

Rock guy was the best, but even he was a little too on the nose for me.

It's the best of the 3 Thors for sure, but still bottom tier I think.

Disappointed.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • I also watched that. I liked the line that everyone else likes.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's a really good line
  • JRPC wrote:
    Been a long time coming, but I'm finally seen Ragnorok. 

Sadly and a bit surprisingly I really didn't care for it. I say surprisingly because not only am I a big Marvel fan (obvs) I've also loved all Waitit's stuff so far. This didn't work for me as either.

It was just so undercooked and disposable. 

Didn't like the characterization of any of them really. Thor's on usual good form I guess, but pretty much everyone else is underwritten and forgettable. Actually, some of the regulars come out worse than they went in - Hulk/Banner and Loki were utterly misused. 

I get that it's doubling down on comedy this time, and there was definitely a reasonable quota of chuckles, but there were way more misses than hits.

Rock guy was the best, but even he was a little too on the nose for me.

It's the best of the 3 Thors for sure, but still bottom tier I think.

Disappointed.

Agree 100%
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Ta-Nehisi Coates is writing the next Captain America.

https://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2018/02/we-who-love-america/553991/

Edit: added link to original article Coates wrote about it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    They should let Trump write a Captain America film. He's heard great things about what a good writer he is.
  • Kow wrote:
    They should let Trump write a Captain America film. He's heard great things about what a good writer he is.

I can imagine that. Cap needs some help. Iron man? Thor? Hulk? No, he needs the one man who can help him win biggly....

SFV - reddave360
  • Just seen Black Panther, and thought it was...alright, I suppose?  It hits all the right beats, the performances are good, but it all felt slightly flat and joyless.  The action works, but didn’t feel particularly thrilling - there’s no sense of peril, not even when...
    Spoiler:
    Fundamentally though I think it was just too po-faced, Marvel are usually good at acknowledging the inherent absurdity of people in Lycra saving the world, but here it seems they were too busy being Important to be any fun.  (I guess it’s the inverse of Thor: Ragnorok in that regard.)
  • I definitely enjoyed the Thor movie mor.

Basically any superthing show that tracks closer to 60s Batman in any way is doing the right thing.
  • Except when they do it with Batman himself.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I contend that Batman Returns maintains the camp to dark ratio perfectly
  • Cos
    Show networks
    Twitter
    CallMeCosby
    Xbox
    Jacks Joystick
    PSN
    CosbyTheWise
    Steam
    Cosby
    Wii
    BillyCosby

Send message
    Reg noes.
  • I'd endorse that.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I contend that Batman Returns maintains the camp to dark ratio perfectly

Nah, it's a rotten film. 3 great bits of acting but the film itself is truly rotten. It has dated terribly.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Get out
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I should probably give Burton Batmen another whirl, but last time I did so they were woefully bad.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Get out

No, it's really terrible. I watched it a few months back and could not believe how bad it was. Joel gets the rap for making the weak links of the batman movies but I think Burtons second is nearly as bad as either of the last 2 movies. It has much better performances in its villains and its Batman and doesnt have the terrible sidekick but for every good scene there is a huge amount of turd to get through.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Thor Ragnarok. Awesome.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Get out

Terrible film
  • Brooks wrote:
    I also watched that. I liked the line that everyone else likes.

Which is that?

Lemmie guess!

My biggest chuckle...

Spoiler:
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Get out

Terrible film

Get out

• I watched batman returns a couple of weeks ago. Thought it was still awesome. I mean, it’s very silly (the remote batmobile) but really enjoyed it still. And the first one is still great too.

I watched both a LOT on vhs when I was little, so nostalgia and all that I guess.
  • Mark Millers thoughts on why marvel movies work and dc movies dont. i think he's onto something...

“I think it’s really simple: the characters aren’t cinematic, and I say this as a massive DC fan who much prefers their characters to Marvel’s. Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman are some of my favorites, but I think these characters – with the exception of Batman – they aren’t based around their secret identity, they are based around their super power. Whereas the Marvel characters tend to be based around the personality of Matt Murdock or Peter Parker or the individual X-Men. It’s all about the character. DC, outside of Batman, is not about the character. With Batman, you can understand him and you can worry about him, but someone like Green Lantern, he has this ring that allows him to create 3D physical manifestations and green plasma with the thoughts in his head, but he’s allergic to the color yellow! How do you make a movie with that? In 1952 that made perfect sense, but now the audience have no idea what that’s all about.

People will slam me for this but I think the evidence is there. We’ve seen great directors, great writers and great actors, tons of money thrown at them, but these films aren’t working. I think they are all too far away from when they were created. Something feels a little old about them, kids look at these characters and they don’t feel that cool. Even Superman, I love Superman, but he belongs to an America that doesn’t exist anymore. He represents 20th Century America and I think he peaked then.”

• Huh. Millar making a lot of sense, there.

At least it seems so. I don’t know enough about DC characters in modern times to know whether he’s on the money or not.
  • I caught up on some men in tights movies over the long weekend. Have now seen Thor Ragnarok and Spidey Homecoming. I thought Thor was the better of the two, and was less connected to the Marvel connected universe stuff. Probably not a coincidence, that.

I also watched Spotlight, so it was a bit weird seeing Keaton go from that to Spider-Bad-Guy. Shift of mental gears required there.
  • I saw Thor recently, just decided to pick up the blu ray in Tesco as I fancied it, really. Never been a Thor fan, not even in the comics, but might be one of my faves that one. Loved it.

It’s bonkers how they’re giving these directors THAT much money to play with. James Gunn, Taika Waititi, even Joss Whedon.

Guess they can get away not paying them much though...

Edit: oh and on Mark Millers quote, come on, the DC comics haven’t been very good in a long time (outside of Batman). It’s also quite telling that Mark Miller’s ultimates might have been the real jumping point for the avengers films.
  • That's a bit simplistic isn't it? Comics published by these guys make shit films (except Batman), comics published by these guys make good films (except all the shit Marvel films).
  • I think there has to be something more fundamental at play than just Marvel being better at managing IP. My guess is that the DC approach is flawed at board level. The ultimate decision makers have backed the wrong approach from day one and it’s too much of a billion dollar juggernaut to turn it around.
  • They keep making Superman films, that's it. He's the absolute worst.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!