Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Black Panther should have used far more subtitled dialogue if they had 'done it right' in my opinion as a nearly middle-aged, middle-class white guy who has no knowledge of the original Marvel comics... However, it could be (and it possibly was?) argued that that would have made the film less appealing to its key demographics. At least they kept some.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    JRPC wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    us white people all have opinions on it
    I don't. I just have an opinion on Disney.
    What's that?

Oh, god, not the Disneys! As Reg alludes, I've a history of bashing them for their corporate greed without full consideration for the joy they've brought so many.

Can we go back to The Last Jedi?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBF, I’d lay that criticism at Hollywood in general rather than BP in particular.

Edit: JDP.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Indeed.
  • jdanielp wrote:
    Black Panther should have used far more subtitled dialogue if they had 'done it right'

Why?
  • I disagree with the subtitles, the films are for kids, kids can't be expected to read through an entire movie.
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    Black Panther should have used far more subtitled dialogue if they had 'done it right'

Why?

Well from my selfish perspective so that I would have been far more immersed in the film and not wondering why they used 'token' subtitles in one scene and English in another. They could've quite easily established an excuse for doing so such as English being a common language used between the different tribes (not a good excuse, but still).

• God my kids watch everything with the subtitles on. It drives me frigging mental.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I don’t think anyone disagrees with most of the cynicism, everyone knows that Disney is only doing this for the money, that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a positive thing too.

Do we really know that?

I'm sure profit is at the top of their agenda (where I guess it should be), but that doesn't mean there can't have other goals too. 

I'm sure some of the heavyweights involved, people like Feige, are not purely making these films for the money.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Individuals may well have loftier goals, but Disney as a whole are all about making money. It’s a corporation, it’s what it does.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Disney would sell your grandmother.
  • I watched Black Panther precisely because it was Important and let it never be said that Important work can't also Fucking Suck.
  • I mean you're wrong, but sure.
  • Yeah it's not Important. It's a fucking Marvel film.

It's like when there was that film about Wonder Woman it was as if women had been given the vote all over again.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I mean you're wrong, but sure.

That Black Panther is bad or that important work can suck? Because the latter is clearly true, as is the former no doubt.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d argue that, culturally, this is about as important as films get for the very fact that it is a Marvel film and Marvel films are the biggest films in film at the moment.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    It's all bollocks anyway cos Tyler Perry has been doing all black films for ages and they have more depth than BP
  • The difference between Perry's films and Black Panther and why the latter is being talked about as important is pretty obvious though.

The discussion around BP doesn't preclude any prior films that are black led, written, starring, or produced.
  • Just in case I am being obtuse:

Black led films have existed for ages. Black mega stars exist. I don't think anyone is denying that.

The reason people are talking about Black Panther is because it came out a week or two ago, so it gets a lot of traction, just like people went for a while talking about Get Out, or Moonlight when they were released, and 12 Years a Slave before that etc. 

Marvel films are frequently crummy, and yeah we've had Blade and Hancock before it, but denying BP is a watershed moment in some respects is disingenuous. I've not even seen it, it could be shit. I've seen black critics who have loved it and some who have hated it. It might be a flimsy excuse for a watershed film. But the superhero film is the biggest force in cinema in decades, and it's predominantly the reserve of the white person. 

For Black Panther to make this much money, to generate this much buzz, to be part of a huge ongoing series of films that are massive, in both audience and money, money and as everyone is keen to point out, a total blight on cinema... well it's pretty unarguably profound i'd say.

Perry even facilitated making the film, not just by carving a path of his own making through years of cinema, but by providing sets at his studio for Black Panther to be shot on. Regardless of whether it's shit or facile, it's happened and that's important.

Edit: i'd argue that maybe just a little bit of this comes from the current political climate too. You can't extricate this film from the fact it has come out in 2018.
  • The amazing thing is of course, it might all be for nothing. It might just evaporate into fuck all. 

But right now, for this brief window, to me at least? It feels legitimate.

Eh, whadda I know anyway.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    jdanielp wrote:
    They could've quite easily established an excuse for doing so such as English being a common language

In Vikings they often use subs when unilingual characters converse, else English for everyone.

I'm okay with that.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    The difference between Perry's films and Black Panther and why the latter is being talked about as important is pretty obvious though. The discussion around BP doesn't preclude any prior films that are black led, written, starring, or produced.

Mate I did not expect you to bite on that. Stellar work. Perry's films are fucking terrible.
  • Somewhere, Spike Lee is grinding his teeth and thinking “I’ve been here for decades, and you fucking gimps reaches for Tyler Perry for an example?! Ffs”
  • jdanielp
    Show networks
    Facebook
    jdanielp
    Twitter
    jdanielp
    Xbox
    jdanielp
    PSN
    jdanielp_uk
    Steam
    jdanielp_uk

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    In Vikings they often use subs when unilingual characters converse, else English for everyone.

I'm okay with that.

That seems reasonable (just so long as they don't speak English with a 'funny' accent at that point as they do in many films which use that mechanic) as I can't imagine that there are situations in Vikings when anyone is supposed to be speaking 'English' beyond the odd word, whereas BP has characters who are presumably only able to speak English so it doesn't apply quite as neatly there, but, as I say, they could have easily established it as an excuse.

As Yoss says, this is more of a Hollywood (and a lazy audience) issue, but it bothered me as I was watching BP, which we are discussing, so it seems like now it's as good a time as any to mention it...
  • So thick were the accents I felt like I was watching something actually minstrel-y.
    For a product starring and captained by black people it was pretty jarring how hard it leant into every colonial McAfrica trope ever concoted.

A bunch of guys were literally done up and hollering like monkeys??!
  • Watched Guardians 2 on Netflix tonight.

Second viewing.

Yeah, it's a mess. Just all over the place.

Jokes don't land for the most part, action is weightless and CG heavy, no drama felt. 

Coasts on the likeable characters who were much better served by the first. 

I am a sucker for broad emotional stuff at the end though. 

Bottom-tier Marvel.
  • Tempy wrote:
    The difference between Perry's films and Black Panther and why the latter is being talked about as important is pretty obvious though. The discussion around BP doesn't preclude any prior films that are black led, written, starring, or produced.

Mate I did not expect you to bite on that. Stellar work. Perry's films are fucking terrible.

I thought you were arguing a point in good faith, as it's well known that Perry is incredibly successful. More fool me. This is why I shouldn't bother.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Shouldn't bother with me mate, keep on with the rest.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    So thick were the accents I felt like I was watching something actually minstrel-y. For a product starring and captained by black people it was pretty jarring how hard it leant into every colonial McAfrica trope ever concoted. A bunch of guys were literally done up and hollering like monkeys??!

3:30?

• Infinity War is out next month!!

Wow, I thought it was mile off yet.

This is the big one people - get your excite on!

11564463-2824559450475159.png

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!