Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Captain China is quite a funny idea, simply because superheroes have always been predominantly an expression of American domination. They're practically walking flags. Far more offensive is the streamlining of Captain Cultural Imperialism for duty in the east. But then it's all just "what people want", isn't it?

Edit: not been paying attention to thread so just shoving that off the top of my head thought in there
  • What exactly is a white male fantasy in this case?
    SFV - reddave360
  • That's sweet.

edit: @Chump
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Tin, do you reckon kid's exposure to. ore diverse and female created cartoons and shows means WW is less of a deal for them?

I ask because lots of ladies I know around the 21-28 age group liked it a lot, but only a few of them are looking at cartoons or comics in their day to day entertainment. Kids media tends to handle inclusivity and diversity much better on the whole.

As with Black Panther, its status is almost more important than its quality. I've not seen Moonlight or BP, but i'd argue the fifth largest opening weekend ever makes BP as important as Moonlight, regardless of quality. Plus Coogler has already done two excellent films that are focused on black people, so I'm down for Panther whenever I can manage it.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Tin, do you reckon kid's exposure to. ore diverse and female created cartoons and shows means WW is less of a deal for them? I ask because lots of ladies I know around the 21-28 age group liked it a lot, but only a few of them are looking at cartoons or comics in their day to day entertainment. Kids media tends to handle inclusivity and diversity much better on the whole. As with Black Panther, its status is almost more important than its quality. I've not seen Moonlight or BP, but i'd argue the fifth largest opening weekend ever makes BP as important as Moonlight, regardless of quality. Plus Coogler has already done two excellent films that are focused on black people, so I'm down for Panther whenever I can manage it.

Certainly with my highly scientific sample group of 2, that could well be it.  They both went through a period in which they were slightly obsessed with Avatar and Legend of Korra for instance, both of which offer up pretty diverse characters whether they be super-powered or not.  (Korra, in particular, leans quite hard into some of those themes, whilst still managing to have people with superpowers blowing stuff up.)

I think film is lagging behind even live-action TV with respect to diversity - presumably because studios have been reluctant to gamble all that money on an audience.  As you rightly say, BP should fairly resoundingly end that concern.  (I heard an interview on the Today Programme of all things where they suggested to the Marvel rep that they'd only made this film for financial reasons to which there was a very candid "yes, of course we did.  There was a hole in the market, so we're filling it.  But we figured it wouldn't make money unless we did it properly" - or words to that effect.)  Hopefully studios are slowly getting to understand that the more diverse the movie, the more people will want to see it - so long as they stick to the "doing it right" part...
  • Cue DCs Cyborg movie flopping and a million ‘Is diversity in films dead?’ think pieces.
  • monkey wrote:
    Cue DCs Cyborg movie flopping and a million ‘Is diversity in films dead?’ think pieces.

That's long since been cancelled surely?
  • DC films don't get cancelled. If a film is in trouble, just shoot most of it again and string it out to be five hours long.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Just as a story that means fuck all my wife who is waaaayyy into comic books (the good marvel stuff like Captain marvel, squirrel girl et Al) was far more into WW than me
  • tin_robot wrote:
    I don't have a handle on whether it's a film that's really any old white guy superhero movie just with a black cast, or a film that explores and is sensitive to themes that would only ever work with a black cast. If you see the distinction? Is this a film that will inspire black kids, and girls, because it resonates with them - or is it another film that plays to white male fantasies, whilst allowing us to think we're doing better because of "representation"? I fear I can't meaningfully comment on the first and am likely at least partially blind to the second.

But I think you totally can get a handle on that if you’re paying enough attention. Now I have been paying attention to BP (because I’m a nerd), and feel pretty confident that it’s the latter. This is from someone as white and middle class as they come (my main regret in emigrating to Australia has been the loss of Waitrose).

I think we probably are a bit blind in the ways you mention, but no more than any other scenario in which we don't have a first-hand lived experience.

Could you not meaningfully relate to a film about grief because your own family is alive and well? Maybe not fully, but well enough to get an idea about how sensitive it is to those themes. Plus, I doubt you'd ever feel the need to voice those limitations in quite the same way.

Why is this different with race or gender?

I don't think it probably is.

Just thinking out loud.

I'm possibly a bit ranty here and on my high-horse about this because I'm still riled up from a podcast I listened to the other day where Russel Brand declined to condemn generations of Afghani women being forced to live in bags for similar reasons. Who are we as middle-class white men to have an opinion really?

Can’t stand Russel Brand.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think you've nailed it JRPC. we are a bunch of white people who are somewhat entitled who can't quite fathom what something like black panther means to them,and to joke or denigrate it is to deny them this amazing moment
  • Grief is universal*, blackness is not.

*actually agnostic is probably the better term here.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    Grief is universal, blackness is not.
    Also nailed
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's nice when I can just point to people smarter than me and go "yes, that"
  • I don't mean to say that you can't understand or emapthise with it. You can, but the very notion of blackness is fractious to black people. It is a constant that is being explored, understood, re-understood, re-clarified, lived, passed on, meditated on.

You only have to look at the civil rights movement in the 60s to see. Compare and contrast Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, Stokely Carmichael, Eldridge Cleaver, etc
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I saw a short clip of a Russell Brand thing recently which may or may not have come from what you are referencing there JR. The argument that he was advancing in that wasn’t that he can’t have an opinion because he’s white, but rather that these opinions are often used to other another culture and to provide an excuse for colonialisation and subjugation, which seemed like a fair point to me.
  • If your view of how the world works prevents you from condemning the way the Taliban treats it's women then there's something seriously fucking wrong there.

If you listen to the whole thing his position is clear and clearly deluded.

He bangs on endlessly about the need for more love and compassion towards our fellow human beings but couldn't muster much of the same for the most subjugated and abused people on the planet.

Cultural relativistic nonsense. And deeply harmful nonsense at that.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    But what would be the most likely effect of him condemning that aspect of that culture in that podcast? People here hearing about it and using it as an excuse to justify their own xenophobia or oppressed people there hearing about it and feeling supported in their struggle against oppression?
  • JRPC wrote:
    tin_robot wrote:
    I don't have a handle on whether it's a film that's really any old white guy superhero movie just with a black cast, or a film that explores and is sensitive to themes that would only ever work with a black cast. If you see the distinction? Is this a film that will inspire black kids, and girls, because it resonates with them - or is it another film that plays to white male fantasies, whilst allowing us to think we're doing better because of "representation"? I fear I can't meaningfully comment on the first and am likely at least partially blind to the second.

But I think you totally can get a handle on that if you’re paying enough attention. Now I have been paying attention to BP (because I’m a nerd), and feel pretty confident that it’s the latter. This is from someone as white and middle class as they come (my main regret in emigrating to Australia has been the loss of Waitrose).

I think we probably are a bit blind in the ways you mention, but no more than any other scenario in which we don't have a first-hand lived experience.

Could you not meaningfully relate to a film about grief because your own family is alive and well? Maybe not fully, but well enough to get an idea about how sensitive it is to those themes. Plus, I doubt you'd ever feel the need to voice those limitations in quite the same way.

Why is this different with race or gender?

I don't think it probably is.

Just thinking out loud.

I'm possibly a bit ranty here and on my high-horse about this because I'm still riled up from a podcast I listened to the other day where Russel Brand declined to condemn generations of Afghani women being forced to live in bags for similar reasons. Who are we as middle-class white men to have an opinion really?

Can’t stand Russel Brand.

I think we're maybe at cross-purposes slightly. I don't think I couldn't relate to it - indeed my hope is that any film depicting any culture or walk of life that differs from my own (real or imagined) manages to do so in a way which allows me to relate to, understand and appreciate it. In fact I'm strongly of the belief that works that do so are hugely important.

All I was saying is that I'm in no position to stake any claim as to the validity of whether that has happened - all I can do is applaud the attempt, and listen to the opinions of those who are better placed to comment. (Which have, as you say, been largely positive with respect to BP - but certainly not universally so.
    Spoiler:

To use your metaphor for grief. I have seen many films about grief, and my appreciation for which ones felt like true descriptions of grieving, and which ones were simply manipulative bullshit altered after I had experienced grief of my own. (And will probably change again in the future.) The difference is that I'm not likely to ever experience being a woman, or being a different race, so it seems wise to seek the opinions of those that have, to temper my own, when discussing films that are being put forwards as representations of those people. (Though as Reg and Tempy have pointed out, there's still going to a pretty wide variation in those opinions too.)

Middle class white men should absolutely have an opinion, but I guess it's helpful to recognise them as being the opinions of middle class white men, rather than presuming to speak on behalf of others, as has historically tended to be the case.

Anyway, I'm aware that I'm at risk of sounding like a sanctimonious prick so I should probably quit whilst I'm behind.

And no, I can't stand Russel Brand either.

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    tin_robot wrote:
    I'm suggesting that I don't really know whether BP represents "the black experience" (I hate that phrase, but seems the quickest way to express what I'm getting at)

Its African accents are said to be a rejection of colonialism, which I fully approve of, but I can't help but see a bunch of white execs rubbing their hands at the thought of blaxploitation profit.

It's a shame it had to go through Hollywood to get made.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2018/02/black-panther-co-opting-african-struggles-oppression-180217145412378.html
  • JRPC wrote:
    If your view of how the world works prevents you from condemning the way the Taliban treats it's women then there's something seriously fucking wrong there.

If you listen to the whole thing his position is clear and clearly deluded.

He bangs on endlessly about the need for more love and compassion towards our fellow human beings but couldn't muster much of the same for the most subjugated and abused people on the planet.

Cultural relativistic nonsense. And deeply harmful nonsense at that.

Bill Maher had a good quote on this:

“They used to boo me, because I’m the one standing up for equal rights for women and free speech and respect for minorities, free and fair elections. It’s not my fault that these are qualities more lacking in the Muslim world than any other culture, but liberals saw this for years as an attack on a minority. But the irony is they were so tolerant they were tolerating intolerance“.

I don’t agree with everything Bill Maher says, but the idea that people don’t feel comfortable in condemning the shitty ways people are treated in some cultures is, as you say, deeply harmful nonsense.

• Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Again, what purpose does condemning this serve?

I mean, I taught in Egypt, women are treated dreadfully there, what good would it have done for me to walk around condemning that culture? Would it have effected change?

I could teach them about how things were different here, any questions about harassment I answered honestly, but to walk around criticising an entire culture wouldn't have made any difference, and furthermore these types of criticisms are exactly the sort of thing held up by racist groups as justification for their racism.
  • Best just to think of people as people and little more than that.
  • Goddammit Yoss you seriously want effected there.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    True. I'll edit it and make you look weird. Then edit this to make it look like a reaction to your weirdness.
  • You're right, I am your father.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Just further to what I wrote up there, I wouldn't change anything about Black Panther out of my disdain for rich whites profiting from it. I've seen those clips of excited black kids and they're great, and the idea of an African society in a sky city (presuming that's where they live) is a cool one. I also imagine that lots of African-American academics would be against the potentially stereotypical adoption of their accents over the current ones. Anti-colonialism's the right move for me.

But I do agree with that petition, because I feel that Disney should pay forward some of their ludicrous gains to black causes.
  • Escape wrote:
    Just further to what I wrote up there, I wouldn't change anything about Black Panther out of my disdain for rich whites profiting from it. I've seen those clips of excited black kids and they're great, and the idea of an African society in a sky city (presuming that's where they live) is a cool one. I also imagine that lots of African-American academics would be against the potentially stereotypical adoption of their accents over the current ones. Anti-colonialism's the right move for me.

But I do agree with that petition because I feel that Disney should pay forward some of their ludicrous gains to black causes.

Don't really get that.

They're the only mega-studio doing something meaningful in this space and there must have been at least a perceived risk involved.

Shouldn't they be rewarded?

I don't see why they should be asked to pay up for breaking new ground and doing something meaningful.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!