Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • Does it feel like I'm picking fights with everybody?

I don't mean to.

I'm just on a night shift.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Is the market itself a sufficient force for good to offset Disney's existence as a profit machine?
  • OK I don't really understand the question.

I'm going to go with .... yes?
  • I've now finished my night shift so I'm also going to go to bed.
  • JRPC wrote:
    Escape wrote:
    Just further to what I wrote up there, I wouldn't change anything about Black Panther out of my disdain for rich whites profiting from it. I've seen those clips of excited black kids and they're great, and the idea of an African society in a sky city (presuming that's where they live) is a cool one. I also imagine that lots of African-American academics would be against the potentially stereotypical adoption of their accents over the current ones. Anti-colonialism's the right move for me.

But I do agree with that petition because I feel that Disney should pay forward some of their ludicrous gains to black causes.

Don't really get that.

They're the only mega-studio doing something meaningful in this space and there must have been at least a perceived risk involved.

Shouldn't they be rewarded?

I don't see why they should be asked to pay up for breaking new ground and doing something meaningful.
    I don’t really think it’s brave or risky or anything. Around the turn of the millennium, Disney started trying to be not as goddamn white and racist. They’ve done this gradually, strategically, waiting for demographic changes to make bigger moves more viable while not putting off their white america Bible Belt tossers. They bought Marvel and Star Wars specifically to target and expand into teen and young adult demographics. And now here we are with this Black Panther film.

When they were deciding what avengers they were going to pick up to make movies with, they could have ignored Black Panther. Or done it as a box-ticking exercise. They would have probably taken some flak for either approach though. So they deserve some credit for finally doing this the right way after decades of not doing so. I don’t see it as anything other than good business by them though, planned over years and timed to perfection, it would seem. They’ve also been a bit lucky that this has come in the middle of what is basically a western culture civil war meaning people are right behind this for all sorts of other reasons. It’s certainly not some ground breaking initiative they took a chance on. Worse case scenario for them was it was another middle of the road superhero film that did ok at the box office.

• Black Panther is not the first positive portrayal of a black character they've had. They started it with Blade, which wasn't a one and done. It had two sequels.

Then they had the Luke Cage Netflix series.

Will Smith has been playing superhero, or superhero style characters for over 20 years.
  • Blade wasn't Disney, it was New Line. It was over a decade before they bought Marvel.

I don't really know what Will Smith has to do with Disney either.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Correcto
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And there's a massive difference between a TV show and their headline movie till avengers
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Black, white, yellow, brown, doesn’t really matter to me as long a movie’s entertaining.

Fuck blue though: Avatar, Smurfs and Jack can GTFO.
    Things can only get better.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm sure old white guys are delighted to have Africans making loads of money for them again. [/sarcasm]
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm sure black guys and girls are glad to see they've got massive representation

Christ how is this hard
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm sure black guys and girls are glad to see they've got massive representation

Christ how is this hard

Because you’re trying to make it an either /or when it isn’t.
  • He's not. He's saying that Disney making money off this is irrelevant to the point of representation.
  • Black Panther is not the first positive portrayal of a black character they've had. They started it with Blade, which wasn't a one and done. It had two sequels. Then they had the Luke Cage Netflix series. Will Smith has been playing superhero, or superhero style characters for over 20 years.

I know what you mean but I think the big difference with Black Panther (apart from it being Disney although I dont think thats actually that big a deal) is that if you look back at those films they have a touch of token black. Blades not too bad, but stuff like beverly hills cop, men in black etc. is that although they had black heros the support cast is usually heavily white. 

For me I'm not sure where I honestly stand on diversity being a role in the entertainment industry. It shouldnt be forced on a studio to hire ethnic people just because and I dont have an issue with the 'white washing' thing if the main part of your audience is white. I wouldnt expect the chinese movie industry to feature westerns if they adapted a western story. I woudlnt expect bollywood to not play to their main audience. And I wouldnt expect a story about wakanda to feature a diverse multi ethnic culture either. 

That said, there is no denying the positive response to Black Panther. But this comes at a cost as well. Anyone criticising the movie runs the risk of backlash as if a bad review is somehow recist (as happened to Irish critic Ed Power). Similar, the films metacritic has been targeted by alt right dickheads in a similar manner to the last jedi (I'm only refering to those who objected to a female lead and a black main character, as opposed to people who genuinely didnt like the film) Surely the end goal of diversity is to make films inclusive and not feel that they belong only to one audience? It seems diversity can be as divisive as anything.

Not sure where I'm going with all that but there we are.
    SFV - reddave360
  • He's not. He's saying that Disney making money off this is irrelevant to the point of representation.
    What’s the point of representation? It’s good? Agreed.

Can we agree that a soulless multinational conglomerate isn’t doing something positive out of the kindness of its non-existent heart?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don't think anyone is claiming that it is.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    And, FWIW, while I haven’t seen BP, the positive coverage isn’t just due to representation, but seems in large part to stem from the film subverting earlier stereotypes. Afro-futurism isn’t a term I’d even heard until people started talking about this film.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    ... Similar, the films metacritic has been targeted by alt right dickheads in a similar manner to the last jedi (I'm only refering to those who objected to a female lead and a black main character, as opposed to people who genuinely didnt like the film) Surely the end goal of diversity is to make films inclusive and not feel that they belong only to one audience? It seems diversity can be as divisive as anything...
    Nah, it’s only “divisive” for a tiny number of blowhard dickheads on the internet who are butthurt that vidyagames and superhero films aren’t exclusively “for them” any more.
    Don’t fall for that “both sides are as bad as each other” bullshit narrative.
  • This definitely isn't the first time Disney have attempted to penetrate the black market, they did it with The Princess and the Frog. The film isn't very memorable and only did OK at the box office but the black princess is still used heavily in merchandise and is a staple in the Disney Princesses range.

That being said, although they have identified a market and used it to gain money I dont think it is the worst crime in our society.
    If the content is respectful to the culture (unlike Pocahontas) and uses creatives from that culture I don't see the harm.
  • It is kinda incredible watching those people act like 3 black centric films getting decent press in the space of 2 years is forced diversity, SJW nonsense, cynical pandering or whatever. But they're not snowflakes, of course.
  • djchump wrote:
    RedDave2 wrote:
    ... Similar, the films metacritic has been targeted by alt right dickheads in a similar manner to the last jedi (I'm only refering to those who objected to a feale lead and a black main character, as opposed to people who genuinely didnt like the film) Surely the end goal of diversity is to make films inclusive and not feel that they belong only to one audience? It seems diversity can be as divisive as anything...
    Nah, it’s only “divisive” for a tiny number of blowhard dickheads on the internet who are butthurt that vidyagames and superhero films aren’t exclusively “for them” any more.
    Don’t fall for that “both sides are as bad as each other” bullshit narrative.

I'm not .
    Irish review gave it three stars, justified his reasons and got serious flak over it for bringing the metacritic rating down.

There's been more than a few people on social media making statements like the film is not for white people or (and this is quite funny) wondering at what point a white person can go to the film without ruining it for black people.

It's almost like there hasn't been a black actor as one of the most powerful and high earning people in cinema, that one of the most popular and powerful women in music (and her husband who is no slouch) is black and that there wasn't a rack of black only films ranging from culturaly impacrful to high grossing.

Much like wonder woman, the desire to have a cultural moment is not an excuse to not properly critique a film.

SFV - reddave360
  • There's also a lot of good writing done as to why Kanye, Will Smith and Beyonce don't mean that everything's just fine for representation now.

It's never wise to conflate extreme opinions or people complaining about metacritic with more nuanced perspectives though. There are always blowhards.

But as for space for criticism of something like Black Panther: guess who also didn't like Black Panther? 
    Spoiler:
  • I maybe should point out that I haven't seen black panther and may spooge over it. I'm a sucker for marvel in general.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    TBH, considering how much we’re learning about attempts to create divisions through social media, I’m going to believe that those saying that the film isn’t for white people are sock puppet accounts until proven otherwise.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Disney would have a shit fit if they thought that there was any chance of people being discouraged from going to see it for any reason whatsoever. I don't think I've ever come across a company so focused on the bottom line.
  • That's possible of course but there's enough video evidence on YouTube of many black Americans being extremely defensive of white people culturally appropriating (hate that term) something which they see as their own. And i do understand the sentiment behind it to an extent (see Irish reaction whenever sky sports claims an Irish athlete as british)
    SFV - reddave360
  • A point I was going to make is that Black Panther being made now is likely less about there being a black audience (they have had cinema money for a while now) and more about white people being ready for a black movie.
    That black pound won't make Marvel box office money on it's own.

Events like 12 Years a Slave blitzing the Oscars are part of the narrative that gets us to Black Panther.
  • For me the big change is that the cast is nearly all black. 10 years ago I'd imagine a few a white heroes would need to be shoehorned in. Possibly even Wakanda would need some white people in its populace if nothing else, black Panthers success proves that that's no longer the case.
    SFV - reddave360
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It's incredible that Black Panther is seen as pushing the Black agenda whilst we had nowhere near this activity during the release of Wonder Woman.

MAKE
    U
    THINK

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!