Superhero Films: Will They Ever Take Off?
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's incredible that Black Panther is seen as pushing the Black agenda whilst we had nowhere near this activity during the release of Wonder Woman.

MAKE
    U
    THINK

Who has said it's pushing an agenda? I think some people are maybe making it to be more of a cultural moment than it is and are being far too defensive because of this and I would make the same claim to wonder woman. But I don't think the film maker or the studio had a straight out black persons agenda. If that's the impression I've given than I've framed my issue badly.

SFV - reddave360
  • 1 review and some dipshits being dipshits on twitter hardly constitutes some grand “blacklash”. Maybe don’t invest so much time and effort into “is it/isn’t it”, and just watch the film?

PS - only posting cos I’m so chuffed with thinking up the term “blacklash”.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    It's incredible that Black Panther is seen as pushing the Black agenda whilst we had nowhere near this activity during the release of Wonder Woman.

MAKE
    U
    THINK
    Not sure what you’re getting at. There’s been loads of big budget action films starring women.
  • There was a whole mess around that new ghostbusters, does that count for whatever strange test you’re applying to this?
  • From what I've seen from black celebs I follow on instagram and twitter there has been nothing but happiness to have such a black orientated film. Black leads, black supporting cast, no jokes about anything to do with being black or Africa or the way the characters are dressed, talking or whatever.

I don't think I've seen anything along the lines of exploitation or doing it just for money or whatever else... This is the first I've seen such a conversation online to be honest.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • I don’t really understand the issue tbh. It’s good that this film has broken through. I’m pleased for all the people that this means something to. Hopefully it’s a permanent change. I don’t think anyone has been exploited. But it was a commercial decision to make this film and it’s paid off probably better than anyone expected. That’s it really. An uncontroversial and glaringly obvious point imo.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I really don’t think anyone disagrees with any of that?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yep, no one is getting in the way of that
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    It almost strikes me like people are shouting at this because it's a well thought through movie by the studio that is for a black audiences that is profitable and they're going ITS THAT .
  • Crossed wires then. My fault probably.
  • I think there are still interesting discussion points around Black Panther.
    What happens next? Is a solid question, hopefully we will see more films like it but we could just as easily see lesser quality films using the naive conclusion that making a film with a black cast equates directly to dollar.

Is there now a temptation for Disney and their peers to make a Hispanic or East Asian superhero film? Will that actually be good? Im unaware of any Marvel characters that fit the bill but Im sure they exist.

We all know how Hollywood can be, success is often followed by imitators and not always (in fact I would say rarely) of the same standards.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    It is, of course, worth remembering in all of this that Disney is the same company that removed a Tibetan character from Doctor Strange and replaced him with a white one, all so they wouldn’t hurt their chances in China. It definitely always comes down to money.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Disney would stab you for the coins in your pocket.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Joke’s in you Disney, I don’t have any coins.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    ...I dont have an issue with the 'white washing' thing if the main part of your audience is white. I wouldnt expect the chinese movie industry to feature westerns if they adapted a western story. I woudlnt expect bollywood to not play to their main audience. And I wouldnt expect a story about wakanda to feature a diverse multi ethnic culture either.

Adapting a story to be set somewhere else is one thing. The Departed is not a whitewash. But changing a character to be white is odd, and wrong. It’s closely linked to weird shit like Keanu Reeves playing a Japanese man amongst actual Japanese men playing Japanese men (47 Ronin) or the closely related phenomenon in a raft of films where, in a sea of (pick a non-white ethnicity) you need a white man to save the day (a recent example would be Matt Damon in The Wall or whatever it’s called). If you are putting someone of a certain ethnicity in a film to appease / court a certain ethnic audience, you are helping cement the idea that a film must feature a certain ethnicity to appeal to that audience.

Now, that’s a different thing from the idea general representation needs to change, but I think they are linked. When it is no longer worthy of discussion that a blockbuster film from one of the top franchises worldwide features an (almost) all-black cast, because it’s happening as often as it should, then we’ll probably have also reached the point that movie execs don’t feel they have to pull race-changing bullshit to pull in the arsehole dollar.

regmcfly wrote:
    It's incredible that Black Panther is seen as pushing the Black agenda whilst we had nowhere near this activity during the release of Wonder Woman. MAKE U THINK

Forum activity, or public discourse? Because I remember plenty of discussion about the representation of women at the time of the WW release.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I meant it more as we did not argue about it as much, whilst here comes a black movie and suddenly us white people all have opinions on it
  • I'm glad it took off?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    There's the spirit
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    us white people all have opinions on it

I don't. I just have an opinion on Disney.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    I meant it more as we did not argue about it as much, whilst here comes a black movie and suddenly us white people all have opinions on it

Well yes, that's what discussion is. We can't not discuss it because its a black movie otherwise what is point. Wonder Woman was discussed loads, as is every superhero movie on a forum full of people who enjoy them.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

It's interesting that it only comes out now
    [Edit]

That's unfair as shit. I'm sorry. You've made your views about the house of mouse known many times. I'll keep my op but please take my apologies and know I'm in the wrong here
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

Well yes, that's what discussion is. We can't not discuss it because its a black movie otherwise what is point. Wonder Woman was discussed loads, as is every superhero movie on a forum full of people who enjoy them.

You absolutely know that's not the point I'm making
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Make it a bit clearer then as that's how I read it. It read as if we can't have opinions on it because we didn't have an equal amount on a previous, female led film.
  • Escape wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:

What's that?

They're often perceived as villains I think. I don't know why.
    Gamgertag: JRPC
    PSN: Lastability95
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I don't know why I jumped in tbh because I give zero shits about BP nor the cultural impact so feel free to ignore me.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Make it a bit clearer then as that's how I read it. It read as if we can't have opinions on it because we didn't have an equal amount on a previous, female led film.

Nope, it's just here we all come, experts on how cynical it is without understanding the serious importance this film is having on a cultural moment that none of us have any knowledge in.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I don't know why I jumped in tbh because I give zero shits about BP nor the cultural impact so feel free to ignore me.

Then I mean alanshrug
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Nope, it's just here we all come, experts on how cynical it is without understanding the serious importance this film is having on a cultural moment that none of us have any knowledge in.

Well I do agree with a fair bit of the cynicism but anything that gives anyone belief and a feeling of respect is okay in my book. I think the cynicism is more towards Hollywood knowing that it'll do gangbusters because of this relevance rather than any cynicism towards those enjoying it, or getting a swell of fuck yes from it.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I don’t think anyone disagrees with most of the cynicism, everyone knows that Disney is only doing this for the money, that doesn’t mean that it isn’t a positive thing too.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!