Fortnite - Tower defence Loot 'em up!
  • The current mode with dogfighting Stormwings is excellent. Well recommended.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Oh the airplane mode? I did that yesterday with my nephew, was indeed good fun.

I still don't understand the game, but then I barely play it. We had a hamburger tomato game yesterday? And a lot of ugly lava in that level.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    After roughly 550 days of logging in to play Save The World, I finally kicked the habit a couple of weeks ago. I feel quite liberated.
  • Nina wrote:
    Oh the airplane mode? I did that yesterday with my nephew, was indeed good fun. I still don't understand the game, but then I barely play it. We had a hamburger tomato game yesterday? And a lot of ugly lava in that level.

Aye, Food Fight: Deep Fried is another of the Limited Time Modes, and this lava variant is probably the worst one they've ever done.  The dogfighting one's cool though.

Birdorf wrote:
    After roughly 550 days of logging in to play Save The World, I finally kicked the habit a couple of weeks ago. I feel quite liberated.

Wish I could!  But the changes to Homebase and how heroes work, the Canny story-line, the reworking of Plankerton's biome, the event story-lines (srsly, the dialogue in StW is often laugh out loud funny), and quirky new heroes all combine to keep me coming back.  Plus there's the upcoming defend the Homebase type mission!  I put far more time into this than BR right now, and probably have done for the last year or so tbh.

Just checked, I'm at 440 days logged in.  Didn't get StW 'til the first Christmas sale, but I'd been on BR since launch week.  I upgraded to the one before the Ultimate pack and went for the Outlander version with the Kill Bill inspired Recon Scout Jess (Jess rules).  I'm done with all that now though, there's no way I'm splashing out another £80 for the last upgrade.
  • Nina wrote:
    Oh the airplane mode? I did that yesterday with my nephew, was indeed good fun. I still don't understand the game, but then I barely play it. We had a hamburger tomato game yesterday? And a lot of ugly lava in that level.

Yeah the airplane mode. Pretty cool and bonus marks for winning my first game! Finally got the umbrella my son has been hounding me for.
    In Food Fight, you're supposed to build around your mascot til the barrier drops then it's all about shooting your opponents mascot til it's destroyed and your opponents can no longer respawn. Any I've played usually finish with a long game of cat and mouse.
    Was tempted to buy StW as it's half price to farm V-bucks but I'm afraid I don't have the time to get sucked into that as well.
    [quote=Skerret]Unless someone very obviously insults your loved ones with intent, take nothing here seriously.[/quote]
  • Season 9 starts today!  After last weeks volcanic eruption and the resulting destruction of Tilted Towers and half of Retail Row, the game jumps into the future and we get a completely remodelled Neo Tilted and a Mega Mall alongside other reworked areas and new mobility items, a typically brilliant Battle Pass, and of shit-load of challenges. 

I'll never go back to the main BR mode without a better balance between building and shooting, and unfortunately I know that'll never happen, but as long as they keep the LTM's running I'll keep playing them to do all this stuff.  Gotta give a shout-out to Creative Mode as well, the ever expanding options for this and an engaged community have resulted in some genuinely amazing experiences. 

• The OG zombie tower defence loot 'em up ability builder-shooter - Save the World - ain't getting forgotten either.  We've recently had a huge UI overhaul, massive changes to how abilities work, a new Autumnal biome, new mission types, new storylines, and in Blake Beard and Keelhaul - my two new favourite characters to play.

Season 9 brings yet another new storyline (the dialogue in STW continues to be some of the funniest I've heard in a game) compete with more unlockable playable characters and new Homebase focussed missions.  At last!  My Homebases and the Homebase defence missions are my favourite things about STW, and to be able to do a selection of other missions amongst my crazy structures and devious trap layouts is something I've wanted for ages.

All good stuff.
  • I’ve decided I’m gonna finally take the plunge and have a go at this. Hopefully I’ll last longer than last time, I installed it, had one match in which I lasted about 3 minutes then uninstalled it
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Don't play solos.
  • But I don’t have friends
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'm actually grimacing at the thought of a newcomer trying to play solo's with the way the game has developed.

The skill floor is higher than most game's skill ceilings, and even then the skill gap within the player base is astronomical.

It is the sweatiest of games.
  • I'd say try the Limited Time Modes first to get a feel for things in a (slightly) less sweaty environment. Maybe go into Playground and explore the map a bit or practice some basic building.
  • What you on Wooks?
  • I actually do prefer the team based modes of the game where you get to respawn with all your weapons. Seems a great way to learn the building side of it. Also owning a pro game pad where you can remap the buttons to paddles underneath the controller make playing so much easier for me as my fingers never leave the sticks.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    What you on Wooks?

Switch
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    What you on Wooks?

Switch
  • Jeez, there's a lot of challenges this season!
    Hodge360 wrote:
    What you on Wooks?
    Switch
    Ah pity, I think you can only play with Switch and mobile players.
  • I thought it was crossplay?
  • Just checked, you can play crossplay with consoles on switch
  • Aye, you can cross-play on any platform if you join Epic friends.  The Switch / mobile specific queues are just for random matchmaking afaik - when you're a solo looking to "fill" in a squad or duo team. 

Hodge360 wrote:
    Jeez, there's a lot of challenges this season!

With the Fortbyte things (haven't even looked at those yet) and all the skin specific style challenges on top of the regular weekly and daily challenges there's so damn much to do!  

Regarding the map changes, I'm diggin' 'em.  Neo Tilted and the Mega Mall are very well done and the Slipstream transport system is bloody great.  It's not on the same kinda scale as last season's tropical / volcanic biome, but they're big changes to popular areas and should keep people entertained for a good while.  Really like that new shotgun as well.

Anyhoo, decided to play Solo's and attempt to get that new winners umbrella.  Actually had a couple of decent games, but finishing 2nd both times is kinda rough.  I keep replaying those last moments over and over in my head to try and think of what I could have done differently, and oh man I could have done so many things differently.
  • Just checked, you can play crossplay with consoles on switch
    Add me to your epic friends: Hodge360
  • My third proper game since the update and my first win of the season, got it by playing solo in Squads.  The last couple of minutes were so damn tense that my hands are still shaking as I'm typing this.  

And oh my, that victory umbrella is a thing of beauty.
  • I just hope they bring the dogfighting back again. Only way I'll get an umbrella. :(
  • They will at some point this season, I think.  The planes are brilliant, so well designed and fun to use, and while they may not really fit within BR there's a lot of people who love 'em (devs included) and wanna see them back in LTM's.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
  • For anyone relatively new to the game or those who just wanna improve their building and editing, this is as good a current "Beginners Guide to Fortnite Building" as I've seen.  Use Creative Mode to practice like this guy's doing for infinite mats and the ability to fly around your structures, and with any luck you'll have the basics down in an hour or two.  And don't neglect the humble 1x1 box, more and more fights are happening in joined-up low ground boxes these days.  It's also your best tactic if you know you can't tower build as fast as your opponent. 

And if you're on console don't worry when he mentions binding building pieces to specific keys, the Builder Pro control preset has all four major builds bound to your triggers and shoulder buttons.  You really should all be using Builder Pro btw.  No excuses.  

• Will give that a watch. Literally can't build consistently to save my life!
    Been racking up top tens in squads for the fortbytes. Got a few 2nd places even though my team were long dead. I'm playing for position so generally hide but I reckon if I upped my building game and found some teammates I'd manage the odd win. Not exactly two simple tasks though.
  • Aye, it's tough to find a good team as a solo player.  I'd not worry too much about those top 10's though, you only have to get 90 out of the 100 Fortbytes to unlock the mystery skin.  You should be good just from getting the daily unlocks and those that come with xp/BP tiers.
  • I dunno. The top tens are doable and there seems to have been an increase in tasks that need to be done with friends that I don't wanna be heading into late season needing them. There's already one fortbyte that will require the good will of strangers and that doesn't always end well.
  • Oh shit, hadn't thought of that.  Sucks that they're making more and more of the challenges friends based.

If you are struggling to get any of those kinda challenges done just gimme a shout, should be good for some skulbushery during the day on weekends.
  • Hodge360 wrote:
    There's already one fortbyte that will require the good will of strangers and that doesn't always end well.

Just did that one in solos, took a couple of attempts but in the end I got a bus on a northern route and 3 other players happy to help each other along.  We all jumped off the cliff together afterwards.

It's well worth trying to do it in solos ASAP, once most people have got that particular Fortbyte it'll be almost impossible without a full squad.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!