curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Someone pick a new track, i'm itching for a challenge.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Would people rather have one week off and one week on with these time trials, or would you guys prefer just a constant stream of them?
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • If you take the optimum strat on the water level then you only go over 1 or 2 clams per lap iirc. Its the inconsistency of the tricking underwater i dont like so much.

To be fair my main points on KD focus on TT not on GP.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • i'm happy to go week on week but i'll go with teh flow @ redeye
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    Would people rather have one week off and one week on with these time trials, or would you guys prefer just a constant stream of them?

Either is good.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I have only ever had a quick play on the Gamecube version of Mario Kart, whatever that was called and I really wasn't too keen. Fired this up yesterday and simply played single player Mushroom cup. Just excellent.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Right, I'm not going to be able to post on Monday, so I'll start the next Time Trial competition now.

Flower Cup Time Trial competition

The rules are simple again, just get the best Time Trial result you can on Alpine Pass and post photographic evidence by 21:00 on 11/06/12, UK time (static images preferred but videos will be accepted).
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • if i get a chance this afternoon i'll post some strats and the wr video etc.

good luck everyone!
  • I don't think this is very good, but I just pulled in 2.27 from an initial couple of runs
  • i've got a 2.17.179 for what its worth.

I'll go through some tips.

FAST FALL. Every time you go over a ramp or ledge or anything which gives you airtime then press forwards on the circle pad so you nose dive. This means you will hit the ground quicker and retain speed more. If you are not doing it then try it and you'll probably save over a second a lap.

Tricking - I imagine you all know you can trick off things. That involved pressing R at the right time. The right time is normally over a bump or going off a ledge where there is a BLUE boost. You can tick off those too and they're pretty handy.

I think (need to confirm) that on a track like this you want heavy characters who dont slip around so much. I'll check on that more.

I'd also advise that the strat near the end is exactly the same as the mkds strat and that you should fly to the right and go tight on the inside of all of the corner till you get a red boost towards the line.

The shroom spot is the left facing shroom over the massive hill. If hit correctly you can shroom up it and get air time on the way down thus not loosing much time. Check for the only hill which doesn't havea barrier around it - thats the one. Thats NOT an easy shroom.

Infact its one of my worst courses i'd say (for enjoyment). Remember to trick off everything (all ramps) and fastfall and you should do ok. Otherwise chicane and go for blue boosts on each turn. Red on the ones you feel more comfortable on.
  • where i say fly to the right obviously you should be following the previous advice and be fast falling ignoring the coins pretty much.
  • So WR is here;

Comments:
    Optimum Combo (so far): Metal Mario + Blue 7 + Red Monster + Beast Glider
    On the 2nd ledge he doesn't trick.. not sure why i think its to do with teh set up for the next turn. At the level most of you are driving i would experiment with ticking off the ramp or not to see what works best for you.

I notice how tight he stays on the right after the final corner. That looks impressive. I used to end up drifting over to the left so i'll work on that when i play. He doesn't seem to lost much speed clipping the snow on the insides of the turns when he's boosting.
  • that video isn't the course I've just been doing. Is it not Alpine Pass?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Alpine Pass is the one set on the mountain without snow, with the massive hill at the end with all the boosts on it.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • lol, oops, wrong track, i was thinking of DK pass. my alpine pass is 2.19.505 which is shit because i can't nail the glider cut at all.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm terrible at this course. Will give it a go.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Managed to cut six whole seconds off my time tonight. Tried taking a video with the webcam built into my laptop, but you couldn't see what was going on because the desktop was reflecting off the 3DS screen. I should be able to take a video with my photo camera, but I reckon I'll have to clear out the memory card first.

Here's a screenshot of my best run, 2m 15.815s.

alpinepasstime3.jpg

Reckon I can get this a smidgen lower. As you can see from the picture, my lap one was better on the previous record. On other runs I got ten coins before landing after the first time through the bat-cave, which I didn't manage on the run pictured, and I missed one of the boost pads on the hill to the start/finish line on lap two. Plus, I think it should be feasible to get blue sparks before taking the shortcut just before the aforementioned hill, which I only managed on lap one.

Pretty damn pleased with that time. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and if anyone's been looking around online for hints and tips, bear in mind that this track is called Rock Rock Mountain in the US. :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Never mind. ;)

alpinepasstime4.jpg

2m 15.049s.

It's gone midnight here, so that's it for today! Will spend my Sunday trying to get under 2m 15s, I reckon.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    2m 14.727s

alpinepasstime5.jpg

C'mon you badgers, get involved!
  • OK this is the WR by my mate mike.

He says its beatable and its currently one of the longest standing wr's even though everyones cusses it.

The key tips are fast falling to get the boost off the ramp. If you can nail the ramp after the start then its a massive time saver and obviously flying through the trees is going to be your crunch moment.
  • nice time blue, i'll come back to this in the next 48 hours as your time is the time to beat!!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    nice time blue, i'll come back to this in the next 48 hours as your time is the time to beat!!

Cheers.

I've tried nicking some tips from the video, I can't quite get ducking through the trees down, but I reckon I might be able to shave some time off using the "ramp" right near the start of the lap when you're flying on laps 2 and 3.
  • its the flight through the tress i can't do very well. Shades of going through the mushroom on Mario Raceway - n64 for me. I'll do it two laps and then fuck up and curse the heavens. The rest of my run is fairly sweet. This is probably my worst course by a mile though. That an one of the bowser ones.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Take heart, you can get to 2m 14s without going through the trees. ;)

I've been brushing the trees to their left to smooth out that section of the track, and then cutting across the grass to the ramp before the section with all the boosts on it.
  • 2.13.727 but I'm on the bus and forgot to shroom lap 2 and hit a tree full on lap 3 lol
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Nice. I'll have to try more with Bowser.
  • I can't turbo as my left shoulder button is knackered. Boo-hoo.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • ...and then managed to fix it with a toothbrush.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    2m 14.045s, just before my 3DS' battery ran out! Reckon I can get it below 2m 14s with some work. Switched out the gold wheels for the slicks, and went with Bowser over Metal Mario.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!