BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    OK this is the WR by my mate mike.

Where does he use his mushrooms? After landing on the grass, after flying through the trees?
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • yes as he lands on the grass after flying through the trees.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I am a Mario Kart novice (i.e. I have just finished playing my first ever hour of any Mario Kart game ever).  My best time on Alpine is a n00bish 2'30".
  • Omg. First ever go at mk? May I ask how old you are or why/how this is the case?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    yes as he lands on the grass after flying through the trees.

Gotcha, cheers.

Welcome igor, to the wonderful world of Mario Kart.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • mk64 wrote:
    Omg. First ever go at mk? May I ask how old you are or why/how this is the case?
    I am 37 (as of yesterday).  I've been playing Mario platformers for years but have never taken the plunge with the karting, until it was gifted to me yesterday.  It could very easily become something of an obsession though...
  • its a good time to enter the series. Although of your age i'd seriously recomend picking up a snes and smk. Its simple but ever so effective even today (or emulator) :)

have you just generally not owned nintendos or just didn't like racing games or something?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I am 37 (as of yesterday).  I've been playing Mario platformers for years but have never taken the plunge with the karting, until it was gifted to me yesterday.  It could very easily become something of an obsession though...

I think I said happy birthday in the other thread, but just in case, happy birthday again. :)

Mario Kart 7 is definitely something I can see myself getting obsessed with, too. It's my most played game on my 3DS by a wide margin.
  • thanks swirl.  mk, I didn't jump on the console bandwaggon until the N64, but I've stuck with Nintendo ever since.  Never been much into racing games, though I misspent a fair bit of my youth in arcades, where I was reasonably competitive at Sega Rally, Daytona etc.
  • OK so I've pulled 2.24 out of the bag. I've not been able to get the flying through the tress thing right  yet though.

One quick question. On the video I watched they are doing some thing while gliding, where they drop down onto a ramp and get an extra boost and continue to glide. I think I've pulled it off a couple of times, but I don't really get what the trick to it is exactly.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    weadre wrote:
    One quick question. On the video I watched they are doing some thing while gliding, where they drop down onto a ramp and get an extra boost and continue to glide. I think I've pulled it off a couple of times, but I don't really get what the trick to it is exactly.

I know what you mean, I fluff that up all the time, too. You need to just clip the ramp itself, and hit the R button to do a 'trick', as you would off a ramp normally. I try to think of it as just touching the lip of the ramp at the bottom of a downward swoop, just as you're about to pull up again.

In other news... 2m 13.836s. I thought it was a bit of a shoddy run in places, managed to miss some tricks, so I'm gunning for your time, @mk64!

alpinetimex.jpg
  • I'm not done yet swirl.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Bring it. ;)
  • i've been close to beating my run 3 times but every time getting nailed by a rock coming down the mountain at the bottom of the hill. I'm turning but the boost on landing from the tick is taking me into the boost to far so i get hit. Its fucking me off :)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That's happened to me so many times, doing a pretty good run and then you get nailed by a rock you couldn't see because it was bouncing.
  • right, i admit, it was my rubbishness, you can go side by side with the rocks with a bit of nifty skills.

swirl, do you want the good news or the bad news?
  • no, not sub 10. I'm not going through the trees yet. Upto now i've been going under the fallen branch, turning sharply and then shrooming to the ramp. I think i've pretty much maxed that strat out now with a 2'11'618. I had a 2'12'767.

Only thing to make that run go quicker is to switch to zucchini again as i did it was the wrong kart by accident. Not sure what it would save though as these two karts are similar.

If I want to go quicker now i'll have to a) go to the right of the trees and b) figure out the best way to do the bit after the line.

I could make that work when I used smaller characters but finding it hard to work with bowser. The flight slows you down to much vs the blue/red mt i can do. Need to watch the videos again.

Its still under my overall level because i'm not able to nail the tree section. I'm sure its not even that hard but i dont like the course that much. 40 seconds per restart is killer.
  • Here's the pic. How are the rest of you doing? Its a bit quieter this time round?!

9gzdk7.jpg
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Should get a go on this soon - bloody 3DS battery was dead when I last picked it up. I swear it runs out even when switched off...
  • I leave mine on sleep a lot and often find the battery dead when i pick it up a day later. It's taken a bit of getting used to after being able to pick the old DS up like two weeks later and it still being on full charge. 

Did that actually happen or an I just remembering it too fondly?
  • weadre wrote:
    I leave mine on sleep a lot and often find the battery dead when i pick it up a day later. It's taken a bit of getting used to after being able to pick the old DS up like two weeks later and it still being on full charge. 

Did that actually happen or an I just remembering it too fondly?

You remember correctly. The main difference is that the 3DS still does stuff in sleep mode. If you switch off the wifi then it'll last alot longer.

• Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Yeah, but even with WiFi off, it's not a patch on the DS' life.
    I do hope a new revision is on the cards, with better battery life being a feature.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Hmm, not great at this. 2'28 is my first attempt. Really need to unlock more car parts.
  • Vastik wrote:
    Hmm, not great at this. 2'28 is my first attempt. Really need to unlock more car parts.

This is very much the key. If you are able to play online this will speed up that process no end!!

Looking at it i've still got a kart and a glider to unlock! I think its the gold kart and not sure which glider.

• weadre wrote:
    I leave mine on sleep a lot and often find the battery dead when i pick it up a day later. It's taken a bit of getting used to after being able to pick the old DS up like two weeks later and it still being on full charge.  Did that actually happen or an I just remembering it too fondly?

I leave mine completely switched off and battery dies pretty quick. Can't remember the last time I had to charge my DS. I pick it up once every few weeks and battery is still fine.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    Here's the pic. How are the rest of you doing? Its a bit quieter this time round?! 

Ah, dammit.

On the 3DS battery front, it's a bit of an odd one for me. I can leave it asleep sometimes for a day and it'll have the same charge as when I closed the lid, others it'll have almost emptied. I can play Mario Kart and Resident Evil Revelations for hours on end, but a single play through of Star Fox will almost drain the battery. It's bizarre.
  • Not had much chance to give this track a proper go this week. My time is around the 2.15 mark, but I've not really had a "solid" 3 laps yet. Will have a crack at it tomorrow I reckon.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I've been meaning to ask this for ages but it kept slipping my mind; when you're playing online multiplayer, what does it mean if the person has a steering wheel by their name? They're using the gyro?
  • I'm not sure - I know it did a similar thing on the Wii version if people were using the steering wheel thing to control. I wasn't aware there even was any other way of controlling the 3DS one though.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!