Punching ozno in the fuck - boxing and MMA for girlie men
  • hunk wrote:
    Are jiu-jitsu style takedowns and groundfighting still the thing to beat in MMA? Haven't watched in quite a while.

Uhhhhhhhh..... No.
  • What I mean is, the sport has evolved quite a bit in the past ten years. Striking has evolved, so has jiu-jitsu, wrestling, sambo etc. Cardio & conditioning has evolved, as have training methods. The possibilities on how a fight can end are much greater, but it always ultimately depends on who's fighting. Before it was men who were really good boxers or kickboxers or wrestlers etc that "moved across" to MMA, now there's guys and women in the ufc that have been MMA training since they were little cos they've grown up watching the ufc.
  • Have you ever been Inna fight, Gav? Genuine question
  • O am quite drunk fyi
  • Fight me Gav. C'mon
  • Get him Gav!
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • Not really Hunk. It's true to say the better wrestler can often dictate whether the fight stays standing or goes to the ground but they're nearly all well rounded fighters now. A good wrestling base goes a long way and some knowledge of submission defence is absolutely essential at any level in the sport. It's come along way since the redneck leisure centre days of 93.
  • I've sparred against black belt jiu-jitsu and judoka guys. Can be absolutely terrifying and makes you realise how much you still have to learn.
    But agree, close combat, holds, chokes, throws, reversals and groundfighting are essential in a real fight and thus MMA.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Doing judo when I was 11 meant I literally never lost a fight at school. Only got to brown belt but that was enough
  • Brownbelt judo should be enough to keep 90% of assailants at bay. I got up to green belt JJ in uni days and that was enough to win in a random street fight.
  • The thing with Brazilian jiu jitsu is unless you've trained or studied it to a certain extent you've got no idea what the other guys trying to do and before you know it you'd be in big trouble. This was the case for the first few ufc tornaments when all the fighters only had one discipline and they were dominated by this little 170 pound skinny guy who new this mysterious art nobody had seen before. Why's this guy hugging that guy? Why's he wrapping his legs round his waist / head / shoulder? Where as boxing and stand up arts, every body knows what's going on in the most basic terms.

• Believe it or not but jiu-jitsu is not all about ground fighting. It's the art of unarmed combat and a last resort when a fighter (Samurai) had lost his weapon.

Punches and kicks are part of the moveset but aren't the main focus as their usefulness was reduced when going up against someone in armour. Counters, reversals, chokes, holds and throws were far more useful and as a last ditch effort, ground fighting.

Jiu-jitsu was fighting in life-death situations so everything was permitted. Ball busting, eye coughing, throat ripping, eardrum bursting, you name it. In real life most unarmed fights end close quarters or on the ground so that's how jiu-jitsu ground techniques evolved. Before you know it a fight ends on the ground in an armbar or a chokehold. In the age of the Samurai that meant certain death.
  • Should pick this up again really.
  • Punch, kick, it's all in the mind....
  • A man can't breath, he can't fight.
  • I shoulda kept going on the judo front. Get that black belt, o was supposed to go to the qualifiers for the Africa youth championship. I coulda been a contender, a champ, like this dude. https://youtu.be/nTgxEkixZ8Q
  • Fuck this jiu-jitsu heresy. Judo the original and best.
  • Did you stop because you're an antisemite?
  • Japanese Jiu-jitsu is the original artform.
    Judo is actually a stripped down version of jiujitsu for competition purposes. Throws, holds and groundfighting only as strikes and kicks are barred. That's the reason why Brazilian jiu-jitsu is so.similar to judo; Bjj like judo also focuses on jiu-jitsu takedowns and groundfighting. Bjj still keeps the striking techniques and kicks tho.

While bjj and judo literally share the same techniques and movesets, strategy differs. Bjj goes for the takedown, groundfighting and submission. Judo on the other hand prefers fighting upright, standing throws, trips and holds with groundfighting a final resort.

• But who'd win a fight between mighty mouse and superman?
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • pantyfire wrote:
    But who'd win a fight between mighty mouse and superman?

Harry Kane.
  • hunk wrote:
    Japanese Jiu-jitsu is the original artform. Judo is actually a stripped down version of jiujitsu for competition purposes. Throws, holds and groundfighting only as strikes and kicks are barred. That's the reason why Brazilian jiu-jitsu is so.similar to judo; Bjj like judo also focuses on jiu-jitsu takedowns and groundfighting. Bjj still keeps the striking techniques and kicks tho. While bjj and judo literally share the same techniques and movesets, strategy differs. Bjj goes for the takedown, groundfighting and submission. Judo on the other hand prefers fighting upright, standing throws, trips and holds with groundfighting a final resort.

Sorry fam, Judo is derived from JJ and uses a lot of the same stuff but it was a complete art, my man Jigoro Kano had strikes, trips, locks and chokes as well as all the throws in the original form and the strikes are still there in the kata. As judo has become a sport over the decades, the rules of competition and in modern times health and safety of competitors has pushed out a lot of stuff but it was all in there originally. This is why sport Judo has an emphasis on standing work, because that's how you start every match.  

Also man like Jigoro doesnt get nuff respec, he invented the modern belt ranking system that loads of stuff uses, he was involved in a jujutsu demonstration to Ulysses S Grant and he was like the first asian person on the IOC. Absolute da.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Ah yes meant the judo competition rules obviously.
    They obviously train and spar with the full JJ moveset.
  • That's the thing, it's really only sport judo that gets taught anywhere I think it's possibly naughty if you're a coach in one of the judo federations to actually teach the stuff once it's been banned for competition but I have no way of checking these days. 

Judo is interesting though imho because it has this duality, as far as most people are aware it's just hugging and dancing around and rolling on the floor touching weiners but there's this whole other side of it that's just lurking away somewhere in the back that was about carefully planning how to fuck up your ankles and your cruciate ligaments and drop you backwards onto your lower back while controlling your arms so you can't break the fall and all kinds of hilariously dangerous shit.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I prefer this guy

• Heh. Who do you think he modelled his character upon?
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I'll fucking meek any jiu-jitsu twat that tries anything. I'll ippon the fuck while he does some weird capoeira shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!