Cryptocurrency, Blockchain and buy Roujcoin now [ROU]
  • Yossarian wrote:
    When you say a backdoor into blockchain, what exactly do you mean? If you mean a way to affect the blockchain ledger, then from my understanding it’s extrememly difficult as you have to affect more than 50% of the potentially millions of individual ledgers at once for this to work. As for scaling, as the computing power is distributed and everyone with a computer who wants to have a chance at earning a bit of money can join simply by downloading and running some software, scalability is baked into the system.
    I never said "backdoor", as it's distributed, there won't be one. So the extant records can't be changed as the historical record is out there for all to see. But that doesn't mean there's no way to exploit or disrupt the system. How do conflicting claims or records get resolved? What happens if some bellends like Lizard Squad decide to DDOS the system with false claims somehow?

(and also, as soon as you say something is "extremely difficult", odds are that it's piqued a nerd's interest and they'll take a swing at it).

And you say scalability is "baked in", but can it handle the christmas rush? 
    And how large are these ledgers and how large will they become if the world adopts it as a currency system? Will that scale?
    I'm hugely dubious of basing a currency system on how many terawatts of energy people can turn into heat with pointless computations. At least Otoy's RenderToken is actually doing something useful with the GPU cycles:  https://uploadvr.com/render-token-blockchain-otoy/
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    The Christmas rush shouldn’t be an issue because as far as spending or exchanging money goes, these are fairly trivial operations which involve two machines changing states and then sharing that change across a network.

The ledgers are text files, they shouldn’t be taking up too much space however big they get.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    FWIW, people at work with a far greater understanding of maths than I’ll ever have have taken apart the blockchain theory and proof and it seems pretty watertight.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    The Christmas rush shouldn’t be an issue because as far as spending or exchanging money goes, these are fairly trivial operations which involve two machines changing states and then sharing that change across a network.
    Hmmm... I think it's a bit more involved than that. The network then has to propagate and verify, surely?
    Yossarian wrote:
    The ledgers are text files, they shouldn’t be taking up too much space however big they get.
    Well, if they're text files then they'll be larger than a compressed binary file, for a start. How large is each transaction or block in the chain in these files? How many transactions do we think are going to happen every year if it gains worldwide adoption? And how far back does/should this public record of *all* transactions extend? 1 year? 10 years? 100 years?

Also, how public are these transactions, and is this scrutability going to work for the really big purchases, like countries selling waepons and oil to each other?
  • Yossarian wrote:
    FWIW, people at work with a far greater understanding of maths than I’ll ever have have taken apart the blockchain theory and proof and it seems pretty watertight.
    Yeah, I've seen enough "how did this ever work?" moments in code to be skeptical of both mathematical proofs and code implementations of mathematical systems.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    An example of a blockchain transaction:

01000000000100000000000000001976a91424f046543cfce2354562bf60876cebb2b4596bc588ac00000000

Source: https://www.quora.com/Whats-an-example-of-the-actual-data-stored-in-the-blockchain-for-a-Bitcoin-transaction

My understanding is that you don’t need any more than the last verified block to stil be mining, not everyone needs to be holding all transactions ever.
  • Crikey, as of December, bitcoin blockchain is 149GB:  https://www.statista.com/statistics/647523/worldwide-bitcoin-blockchain-size/

So not only would the world's GPU resources be used pumping out useless heat hashing crypto, but our nation's bandwidth gets rinsed to fuck passing around an ever-growing 149GB database. Good luck buying anything a g.man's house!

https://www.coindesk.com/what-is-the-bitcoin-block-size-debate-and-why-does-it-matter/

I'm still dubious about what usefulness it offers the average punter over a credit card. 
    Other than paying for illicit stuff on silkroad, of course.
  • I prefer paper and metal tbh.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    You don’t pass around the whole 149GB file, just the last block of that file.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    But the file exists, and must be verified and passed around to be distributed, surely? So whenever a new transaction is added, the ledger must be passed around eventually.

What kind of latency is there on transactions getting verified?
    And what happens if current crypto isn't as secure as everyone thinks it is?
  • https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitcoin_scalability_problem
    Bitcoin's blocks include the transactions on the bitcoin network.[4]:ch. 2 In contrast to Visa's peak of 24,000 transactions per second,[5] the bitcoin network's theoretical maximum capacity with the 1MB block size limit sits between 3.3 and 7 transactions per second

Mastercard handles 160,000,000 transactions an hour, 74Billion in a year.

Current total number of transcations in the 149GB bitcoin ledger? 294,629,301.
    https://blockchain.info/charts/n-transactions-total?timespan=all

So in 1.8 hours Mastercard processes more transactions than bitcoin has ever done in 9 years.

If this is expected to scale as a distributed payment system, we're going to need a lot more GPUs out there doing the mining and a lot more fibre laying.
  • I love how when it comes to blockchain, even the most ignorant member of the public feels like he can argue with a coder :)
  • Ref voting.
    I could see it working, would have to be an option phased in of course, like postal is an option.

One question. I understand the blockchain would be safe but what about the the processes between a voter clicking their mouse button on their computer (pressing phone screen whatever) and that data entering the blockchain process.
    Presumably there would still be some kind of manipualtable coding involved, the website would still be html or whatever.
  • Thing is, I'm not being facetious with the questions, I don't know the first thing about blockchains and bitcoins beyond what I just googled this morning  - so I'm pretty much totally ignorant of all this and am more than open to be corrected on stuff like how often the ledger gets passed around and the bandwidth implications of having an open, distributed payment system.
    (Also, FTR, I know hardly anything about networking and internet backend stuff either)

I guess my skepticism arises from how well a distributed system like this can perform vs a specific system that Mastercard et al have pumped lots and lots and lots of money into. The narrative sounds great and all - "it's a free and open system that we can all form a part of and break the shackles of Big Banking!" - but does it scale to real world needs?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    But the file exists, and must be verified and passed around to be distributed, surely? So whenever a new transaction is added, the ledger must be passed around eventually.

AFAIK, you only need to complete one set of verifications on a block until it’s set, once it’s been set and passed around, there’s no need to keep reverifying it or keep passing it around.
  • It's not supposed to compete with mastercard, it never was, and if we are talking about a blockchain with proof of work consensus (IE bitcoin) it never will. Read the Satoshi white paper, DJ. It is just a way of ensuring I can send you something online, you can receive it, and we know it is THE thing I sent and everyone can agree. And in doing so, none of us will ever need to trust a third party.

That is all it was meant to be. It was never supposed to replace banking. It's not even meant to replace settlement between banks.
  • Aye, for limited applications like buying stuff on silkroad, or distributed cloud CGI rendering and stuff, sounds grand and very handy.

As a "disruptive technology" that's going to "change the world"? I'm not seeing it yet. 
    What with all the kerfuffle around elections these days I certainly wouldn't want more computers involved with voting either. :-/
  • Could it replace PayPal? That would be fucking great.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    djchump wrote:
    Aye, for limited applications like buying stuff on silkroad, or distributed cloud CGI rendering and stuff, sounds grand and very handy.

As a "disruptive technology" that's going to "change the world"? I'm not seeing it yet. 

Yeah, that’s where I’m at. Even if Bitcoin were accepted everywhere, where’s the benefit for users in switching? Making sense of value when dealing with a new currency, especially one far removed from your own, takes a lot of effort. Without a clear benefit, there’s no reason for people to put themselves through that, and currently plenty of downsides to it.
  • Yup. 
    VHS -> DVD -> bluray = okay, I see the benefits to me and I'm on board.
    Pounds + credit cards + applepay etc -> bitcoin = why would I?
  • djchump wrote:
    Yup. 
    VHS -> DVD -> bluray = okay, I see the benefits to me and I'm on board.
    Pounds + credit cards + applepay etc -> bitcoin = why would I?
    There’s a lot of forgotten tech along that VHS road though - bitcoin might be like Betamax.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    What benefits might the VHS of bitcoin offer over our current currency?
  • No exchange rates if you're using a worldwide currency.
  • It can't replace it anyway. If a country can't devalue it's own currency, or control the supply etc then that's a problem.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    No exchange rates if you're using a worldwide currency.

This is kind of possible already seeing as dollars are pretty much a de facto global currency anyway. Not so much at a consumer level, but global business can simply use dollars.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    What benefits might the VHS of bitcoin offer over our current currency?
    Who’s currency? Uk or Zimbabwe?
    If I want to buy something from someone in China which currency are we using?
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Those questions barely factor in to most people’s day to day thinking about money. Answering them provides no incentive to switch my currency.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Those questions barely factor in to most people’s day to day thinking about money. Answering them provides no incentive to switch my currency.
    I would argue that most people in the world do have these challenges
    Switch Friend Code: SW-5407-6034-9226

PSN: derekg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Really? Even the billions living in poverty?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I mean, even here in the developed west very few people want or need to be buying things directly from other countries as they can buy them here. This is not a good enough reason for the average person to have to relearn the value of everything they buy.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!