Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • I’ll try my best but I bought the digital version so I’m skint.

Is everyone playing with Japanese voices? I’m glad it’s the default as I feel after years of Japanese players having English voice overs due to the Englishish settings of the worlds, it’s only right we take our turn and listen to the Japanese voice over when if fits the setting so well! Plus it sounds cool as fuck.
    Gamertag, PSN, NNID: mikemsp            3DS code: 3668 - 8117 - 9395

Currently playing: Bone
  • I shall steal it and buy it if it's my thing.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • Curtis wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    The one I was talking about is the drunk one. Appreciate he is optional though.
    You kill him? Also not optional because of the fog door behind.

Yes but isn’t the whole mission/level optional? I thought it was but could be mistaken.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Mikemsp wrote:
    Is everyone playing with Japanese voices?

Yes. I didn’t hesitate to keep Japanese voices.
  • I do this quite a lot even though I say I'll stop. In fairness I do always buy it if I like it.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    I do this quite a lot even though I say I'll stop. In fairness I do always buy it if I like it.

I see it as a demo. I've not played more than an hour of a yarred game in years as I just buy it.
  • If I've just given up on DS3 and Bloodborne (completed all the PS3 souls games, though), am I too much of a wuss for this game? I loved Tenchu, and am so tempted to give this a go.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I’m going to start this. I expect I’ll have given up not long after given all the chat. :(
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    If I've just given up on DS3 and Bloodborne (completed all the PS3 souls games, though), am I too much of a wuss for this game? I loved Tenchu, and am so tempted to give this a go.

Everyone knows me and my affinity for Souls (i gave up counting after 6500 hours playtime). I think Souls games are balanced to perfection. 

This game is hard! 

Not immediately. But the learning curve is not a curve, more like a cliff face. If you can climb it, you're up and over. But don't expect happy days at the top.
  • Curtis wrote:
    If I've just given up on DS3 and Bloodborne (completed all the PS3 souls games, though), am I too much of a wuss for this game? I loved Tenchu, and am so tempted to give this a go.

Everyone knows me and my affinity for Souls (i gave up counting after 6500 hours playtime). I think Souls games are balanced to perfection. 

This game is hard! 

Not immediately. But the learning curve is not a curve, more like a cliff face. If you can climb it, you're up and over. But don't expect happy days at the top.

Considering you inspired me to start playing the souls games, I'll trust your opinion! I may just stick to Monster Hunter and preserve my sanity until Cyberpunk and The Last of Us.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • I do this quite a lot even though I say I'll stop. In fairness I do always buy it if I like it.

I see it as a demo. I've not played more than an hour of a yarred game in years as I just buy it.

Yep, although I'm lazy and carry on with the stolen one. I rarely play the bought one because starting from the beginning.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    People not liking it bodes well for price reductions.

Which I hate myself for saying as I'd rather be supporting From...
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    This is fucking great, though classic From, soon as I hit a boss (or even mid level boss) I hit a wall.
  • Wondering if people will get used to the difficulty as it seems to be quite new and different to Souls.

I remember with Souls the talk started that it was very hard but by the time 2 came out most people had moved onto the idea that while punishing it can be learnt and become a breeze for large parts.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Knowing what to do when the Kanji appears on screen is holding me back, never seem to do the right thing
  • LB is kicking my arse. Gotta learn those patterns.
  • So This isn’t too bad so far. Although I got to the first boss of bloodborne and gave up. I find the fights in this extremely thrilling. There’s something to be said about the tense feeling in the best between seeing an attack commence,before hitting deflect at the proper timing. You have to do a little wait.

Also I find seeing enemies unbearable because it feels like you’re on a knife edge of dying.
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    Vastik wrote:
    Knowing what to do when the Kanji appears on screen is holding me back, never seem to do the right thing

The problem is the game introduces the Kanji warnings as unblockables, when not all of them are. So you end up evading moves that could be parried.
  • So far I have killed a lot of dangerous chickens and set an ogre on fire.
  • I feel like the poise/health bars are throwing off my parry timing and tell-watching a bit, but I'm mostly not failing them.
  • I don't think it's *that* hard. Certainly no more than Souls/BB so far, except that you can't summon help, obviously. It's difficult to compare them though - on one hand enemies can be more brutal in this, one the other you move so much quicker, you can jump away and parrying is easier. Clearing out areas of regular enemies can be pretty straightforward if you look for routes around the back of them and use sneak attacks. The AI is also very basic, so you can and should exploit that.

Other than that, this is a very different character than the ones in Souls/BB and you have to play to its strengths. The game doesn't expect you to be an expert in deflecting attacks right from the start and gives you plenty of other options to deal with threats. The early mini bosses don't mix their attacks up much to give you a chance to focus on particular kinds of defence and counter. There are even tutorial notes telling you what's coming and a practice area, so it's more accessible in that respect. And I'd say the bonfire equivalents are more frequent and less punishing in their placement - the first major boss basically has one right before it, for instance.

I do think the main tutorials are a bit of a mess though. They make a big deal of parrying and don't even mention some moves. I don't recall being told there's a dash button, for example. It can seem from that that this is a game all about perfectly parrying multiple attacks, but that's certainly not something you have to be able to do in the early stages. I died a lot trying to play like that before going back to the training area and getting a better understanding of how combat works.

So, maybe I'm speaking too soon, but it does seem mostly a case of adapting to a new system and a new character, which was always the case with Souls/BB of course.
  • Yeah..there’s a whole tutorial where it teaches you to dash in the hub area, what more do you want??

• Mikemsp wrote:
    Yeah..there’s a whole tutorial where it teaches you to dash in the hub area, what more do you want??
    There is? I never saw it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    By dash you mean dodge? If you've played souls then the button layout is pretty familiar.
  • Yeah in the hub area the guy you can repeatedly fight teaches you how to dash and it doesn’t let you proceed until you’ve done it correctly 3 times once you start it, by From standards this is the equivalent of sticking the dummy in your mouth and teaching you to suck. 

Regarding the difficulty, I do actually agree so far, I’m only about 1-2 hours in but haven’t struggled with anything apart from getting killed by the boss you’re supposed to be killed/maimed by in an embarrassingly quick time. I am expecting things to ramp up though deeper into the game. It all depends on your previous experience with the other games in a way, I always tended to summon when a boss got too hard. Without hat safety net I tend to panic on difficult bosses and forget buttons, resulting in death! So I think I’m going to struggle a bit with this.

• No, sprinting. It is the same as the run button in Souls, of course, but when there are tutorials about everything it's weird to just leave something out.

Even dodge and jump, though. They aren't introduced in the opening section with parrying, and when they are it's only in relation to those attacks where a symbol appeara above the enemy's head. It should be clearer that they're actually just really useful in general combat and that you don't have to try to parry everything.
  • I never had an issue with knowing what the buttons were but this may be partly because I poured over the button layout so I could customise my elite controller settings and remap the buttons, effectively forcing me to know what each button did early on.  Think that made things slightly more difficult for me at first as I got jelly fingers trying to remember what was what and trying to forget muscle memory from the last game I played with the elite controller By the way i’ve got a killer layout for this that makes everything smoother with the elite.

• They didn’t introduce slow walking either. I was running around all the time until at one point I was too lazy and just rested my thumb on the thumb stick and Wolf just started to walk slowly, now that I discovered walking, I could sneak around!
  • Sorry elf , this is something that will fuck the game up for me.
    Spoiler:
    Wii U Themagickman - PSN - Themagickman   Xboxlive - Themagickman
  • Errrr.... I don’t know what that is or does. Let me find out for myself...

Edit: I mean, I’ve seen mention of it, if you know what I mean, but no idea about what happens. Yet.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!