Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice
  • Ok, seeing a pattern to this cunt now. Almost had it. First phase leaping grab is just lolwutfuckoff though.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • A simple jump backwards should suffice
  • Yeah I do that, sometimes he does it from quite close and I get caught out. The damage is ridiculous!
  • Finally. Easy when you know how and have died so many times on the boss!
  • I just did GenA again on my new game. Took a few goes to get the hang of it again, but I did it on my 4th attempt. And honestly, it was great fun. I obviously have improved generally since last time and understand the game better, and now that I know what I have to do, it's a brilliant fight.

So I suppose the issue with this really is how long it takes to get to that level. How much frustrating effort is worthwhile to get to the point where you can really enjoy it. Should a game expect you to spend literally hours repeating the same fight to master it? Not for me.

Ironically, I think the way it's done it would really benefit from an easy mode. Allowing players to get the hang of how the game works without being too punished would let them start a proper run after with the knowledge they need.
  • You can easily make the same argument with pretty much any game you don't click with though. The one thing I never felt through Sekiro though was frustrated. Every fight felt surmountable from the word go.
  • Jonb@ if you think about it the souls games have always had an easy mode. You can get help from someone else or go level up your character. That's missing from this game and it what's caused people to abandon the game. Maybe it's an instant reward thing and people just don't have the time or inclination to persevere with the challenge.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Very close to giving up on this. Can't beat GA, despite dozens of attempts. I've got him down to a final sliver of posture but he always gets me. It's that fucking flurry of arrows, the fact that I can't see which special move he's going to do because the symbol is in the way and how he always shoots an arrow as I try to heal up. It'll get a while longer but then it's going in the bin.
  • Did Jon just give away who the last boss is?!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Did Jon just give away who the last boss is?!
    No, didn't mention it.
  • I got slightly frustrated with GAPE. But more to do with phases rather not than the boss itself. When it clicked, it was awesome.
  • JonB wrote:
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Did Jon just give away who the last boss is?!
    No, didn't mention it.

Oh yeah ignore me.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    Very close to giving up on this. Can't beat GA, despite dozens of attempts. I've got him down to a final sliver of posture but he always gets me. It's that fucking flurry of arrows, the fact that I can't see which special move he's going to do because the symbol is in the way and how he always shoots an arrow as I try to heal up. It'll get a while longer but then it's going in the bin.

And just after typing that, I beat the fucker.
  • Dinostar77 wrote:
    Jonb@ if you think about it the souls games have always had an easy mode. You can get help from someone else or go level up your character. That's missing from this game and it what's caused people to abandon the game. Maybe it's an instant reward thing and people just don't have the time or inclination to persevere with the challenge.
    It's a bit of both really. I probably do have less patience than when I first played Dark Souls. I'm sure I spent a couple of hours or so on some of those bosses first time. But then some of the bosses in Sekiro are a huge step up in terms of length and complexity compared to bosses in virtually any other modern game. It's a big ask of players, especially when it can be a very unforgiving game to play. I can see why a lot of people just can't be bothered. And it's a shame because it is a great game and ends up being a lot of fun for the most part when you finally get the hang of it.

There's no way I would've wanted summoning or grinding in this to compensate though. Something else perhaps. A proper easy mode with slightly less complex or weaker enemies would really work in its favour, I think. But I've also started to wonder about some of the mechanics that are left over from Souls games. Like the healing system, for example - I'm not sure retreating to swig from the gourd really suits the game.
  • Oh shit has that straw hat merchant by the grave
    Spoiler:
  • He said he was going somewhere
  • Ah yes I think I know here he has gone.

At my next main boss now. Tried it out couple of times, think I’ll leave it till tomorrow for proper attempts.
  • I need to get my enthusiasm back for this. Having to go back to the start was a bit of a blow.
    I'm like Tempy though, I've never felt like any fight is too much. More that I just need to learn what to do.

As for Easy modes I find it interesting that
    Spoiler:
  • I’m absolutely loving it. Minor frustration at GAPE is a thing of the past and I’m looking forward to some (next main boss spoiler)
    Spoiler:
  • Based on my playthrough so far, this is way easier than previous From games (except DkS3 which was piss). So no Easy mode please. (I may change my mind by the end if I get stuck again!)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'd say it took me literally a hundred attempts to beat GA. I just don't have the reflexes anymore (if I ever did). Despite that, I enjoyed the fight and I don't think it was unfair - I'm just rubbish. It's taken me a while to get over the Souls combat of dancing around looking for an opening, and just getting in there and matching them blow for blow. But I think I've got it now - I've smashed every mini boss since GA on first go. Now let's see what
    Spoiler:
    thinks.
  • In terms of the order of doing things after GenA, it can help if you
    Spoiler:
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Based on my playthrough so far, this is way easier than previous From games (except DkS3 which was piss). So no Easy mode please. (I may change my mind by the end if I get stuck again!)
    It's strange that you say that because I found DS3 to be much more difficult than any of the previous games. Not only the 2-phase bosses, but even the regular enemies were much more aggressive and complex and constantly trying to throw you off your timing. With the slow DS move set it didn't make sense to me. At least when Bloodborne and Sekiro are hard you've got the speed to deal with it.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I've been down there but I haven't found any boss.
  • Kow wrote:
    I've been down there but I haven't found any boss.
    You can go further after GenA.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, ok.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I think I'm probably missing a lot in terms of how the combat is supposed to work, timings and that. I should probably start again as I got to the ogre, then didn't play for like 3 weeks, now I can't really remember the nuanced bits. I can't beat the ogre after maybe 50 attempts, nor can I beat or really even scratch white shroud spear man so I think I'm kind of stuck. I don't think the combat is supposed to be done they way I am doing it anyway.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Yeah that’s uh, not ideal
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Which bit, the 50 attempts or the 3 weeks?

I know how to beat the ogre, I just get caught twice or thrice per attempt which is enough to kill me proper dead. He never seems to be backstabbable either, always at me wherever I am.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!