Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Is Genichiro that bastard in the rooftop, who throws knives? I'd say I had to fight him at least a hundred times.
  • He shoots arrows, no knives, and is at the top of the castle.

@Haak - ye I am tempted by Ghostrunner, maybe later in the year!
  • I restarted this a few days ago as I was bored and never finished it.

I'm stuck at the same boss and sub boss as I was before when I played it but iv done so many other things I completely missed last time.

Had to have a wee break for a few days as it can get the blood pumping and I can't smoke weed when I play it.
    Old man and stoned man reactions don't mix.

I'm enjoying it a hell of a lot more now than I did before too.
  • I do think its its something that is overlooked by the industry as a whole. Millions are spent on developing a game but the completion rate is relatively low. It doesnt help that games have ballooned in size to 40-60 hour epics. However with the technology available now, why not have a feature that allows the AI to take over your character if you get stuck ala Genichiro boss fight as mentioned above and the AI complete the fight for you? That way you can move on and explore the rest of the game.

You could argue thats not how the game is meant to be played or its teaching you skills you'll need later in the game. Or just dropping a difficulty level or two would help, but boss fights are such old clique trops, that i never look forward to them in games like these. However i love the exploration in the From Software games.

Hmmmm...i think im gonna write my first letter to Edge.
  • AI take over? Skip bosses? You should maybe be able to skip entire areas too to get to good boss fights. How about just skipping the bit between the opening cinematic and the ending?

Or just allow lowering of difficulty just for one fight.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yeah, I mean I should be able to just choose to have movies cut out all the boring talking bits and get straight to all the killings.
  • I just watch speedruns of From games. Maybe sometimes hold the controller and pretend it's me.
  • To be fair to Dino’s point, Nintendo have implemented those very systems in previous games. If you die repeatedly in Mario, it will play or skip the level for you. It’s only because it’s being suggested in a From game that there’s backlash.

Why not let players do it, but have it so they don’t get the trophy for completion, or have some other marker for using the system?

Removing summoning from Sekiro probably makes it the least completed From game (based on nothing but a bunch).
  • It works in Nintendo games because you have 5 year olds playing games and getting frustrated etc. No 5 year old is going to play Sekiro.
  • I think it's a fair argument that difficulty modes means more people can play it but I imagine part of the reason they don't is because it reduces the amount of testing and design involved in making the game for one.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    There is a skip-whole-game option.
  • I think it's a fair argument that difficulty modes means more people can play it but I imagine part of the reason they don't is because it reduces the amount of testing and design involved in making the game for one.

I'd happily take a setting where I just have double the health to get through a boss fight for example. Or just take half the damage.

Minimal programming to put a feature like that in.

A big problem with Sekiro was the fact that you could get killed so easily then have to wait for a load and then the run back to the boss. If I had a bit more health I could practice on the boss more and get the timings down. As it stands the parry windows are so small for many people and the punishment for failure too harsh.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Copy Celeste.  The ability to skip sections entirely and options for things like a wider parry window, increased/infinite posture, block-able kanji attacks, slow motion etc wouldn't hurt anyone apart from the git gud brigade, it's win-win.  It's a shame so many people gave up at Genichiro (I assume, based on the tiny sample of this place) as the game contains some of From's best work.  

Okay I'm off to install it again and do the boss rush.
  • All I wanted with Sekiro was an option to practice the 2nd or 3rd phase of a boss fight without having to repeat the first phase every time. I'm happy to do the whole thing in one go once I've learned it properly, but until then it's so boring.

From have gone from creating varied boss fights that required a little ingenuity to figure out to these ultra-complex marathons. There's no elegance any more. And now Nioh 2 does the multi-phase thing so much better.
  • Dubs wrote:
    Okay I'm off to install it again and do the boss rush.

Just remember that the gauntlets are save specific. There are three of them (and a fourth that unlocks on completion of those) but to access the first three you need to have beaten all the bosses on one save file.

• A big problem with Sekiro was the fact that you could get killed so easily then have to wait for a load and then the run back to the boss.

I don’t like that either, but From have learned lessons and Sekiro does it about a million times better than Dark Souls. That was horrendous. Sekiro often has a save spot right by the boss.
  • JonB wrote:
    All I wanted with Sekiro was an option to practice the 2nd or 3rd phase of a boss fight without having to repeat the first phase every time. I'm happy to do the whole thing in one go once I've learned it properly, but until then it's so boring.

From have gone from creating varied boss fights that required a little ingenuity to figure out to these ultra-complex marathons. There's no elegance any more. And now Nioh 2 does the multi-phase thing so much better.

I'd forgotten how annoying this was. When you just wanted to nail his third form.

Chalice and Dubs make good suggestions. I like the Nintendo approach, it takes the frustation out of games and I wish more game developers would embrace it. MGS5 had the chicken helmet to help you. I appreciated that. Gaming is supposed to be an interactive experience for all ages, so the technology is there to make happen now. I really couldnt give two hoots whether something thinks skippable boss fights is for 5 year olds. Its my downtime and i should be able to the play the game as i choose.

Why not do away with easy/medium/hard and change that to how much time you can commit to to the game? 20/40/60 hours and adjust the in game i.e. side missions, optional boss battles accordingly? Or as Chalice said in the 20hr option, bosses have half the energy bar or there are more checkpoints etc? Or as Dubs said and modify the game as you want before you start?

There are more and more options for your spare time nowadays and a frustrating game can simply be put down and never played again. For the millions spent in development costs this seems crazy.

We have an aging population, so are we going to punish gamer who are time limited parents now for one example? What if they are still gaming in their 60s and 70s and have arthritis in their fingers? Tough shit? These folks will have disposable income and the time to play that comes from retirment. The gaming industry will have to embrace change eventually the technology is there now.
  • It’s definitely an interesting debate, although having played some dire games for review lately balancing is clearly really hard and something that takes a lot of time and something Sekiro was really tight on.

I can’t really contribute meaningfully because I basically love Sekiro and find it better in terms of difficulty than any other From game because it’s designed without stats and stamina in mind. Everyone has the same path and experience so they could design it around that. I have a feeling that it was originally harder, with only perfect deflects not causing chip damage, hence why Kuro’s Charm is an option right at the start. I wonder if that would have been better overall, with the damage received from attacks lowered in general to balance it out.

As for the multi stage bosses... I understand why people don’t like them, but for me they’re really the core essence of the fights in this game and I love them all. The way they turn up the pressure is brilliant, and the way they remind you that one slip up on an early stage can really cost you is class. They add such a great narrative to the fights, especially as new moves are added, existing moves are modified, or bosses become more aggressive but easier to stagger as the phases change.

The core issue with any changes to difficulty is that you take away the designers intent. There’s an uneasy tension there, and one that’s probably unique to games. I don’t know that it’s easily solved really, if a designer wants to make a stiff challenge then they have to disallow certain things. Interestingly the Gauntlets sort of solve the multi-phase issue, and make me wonder if it could be the way forward: each gauntlet has to be tackles in one sitting, so any death is failure, but the bosses can be fought repeatedly separately. This means that my current bugbear (let’s call him Skinny) is at the end of a 5 boss run. I can fight Skinny solo through a reflection of strength to learn his new moves and patterns, but to beat the gauntlet I need to do it live. Perhaps a good way to deal with phases is let you practice them at bonfires/idols, and make you do them move to progress. For what it’s worth I don’t think any of the multi phase stuff in Sekiro is as egregious as some of the stuff in Dark Souls 3.

Given that Miyazaki’s philosophy is very specifically about reward in the face of adversity, I would expect Elden Ring to be any easier than Sekiro.

Also take all my views on this game with a pinch of salt as I have 100 hours logged in it and basically
    play it to zone out these days.
  • I think some games should just be hard. They have an audience in mind and they don't have to cater to everyone. There's tons of game I just skip for various reasons because they don't appeal. And no one ever seems to complain that shmups are too hard - they just don't play them.

I just think Sekiro got it wrong even for parts of that audience. Some loved it, some abandoned it.
  • You could probably say the same thing for Dark Souls 3 which I feel is a tremendous slog and resting on its laurels design wise, but carried by the name.

Even Bloodborne has its issues with how aggressive it wants you to be back the flexibility of Souls.

I feel that Sekiro just isn’t really a very soulsy game. It’s what it wants to be, it has a very specific focus and thrust but was bandied together with the other games by dint of its Idols Gourd healing and such, and so people bounced off it when they realised it was doing something different. I don’t think that difference is a failing personally, and I’d rather From branches into different directions. There’s definitely some halfway housing in Sekiro, to it’s detriment, but the core combat is so different with its focus on stamina, aggression. and parrying that I don’t think it got anything wrong, but expectations of the studio weighed against it.

It worked for me cos it’s far closer to DMC and Bayonetta than Souls, the latter of which I have found to be diminishing returns. Spectacle fighters are a lot like SHMUPS in that they are hard and have a smaller audience, but the expectations are set better.
  • Robberrrtttttttttt....lol.
    Spoiler:

• Issue with Sekiro is that there’s only one way to play it. In all other From games, you could play how you wanted. That makes it different, which should be celebrated, but equally it means it will alienate certain people who like From games for their variety of play styles.
  • @Temp

I don't think people ditched it because it was doing something different. More because they found the execution lacking.
  • Maybe, I can't agree with them on that because I think it executes on its premise basically perfectly. It's a game about fraught battles full of parries and tiny windows of success.

Ultimately it's just subjective innit. People want three ways to take down bosses cos Souls, I am happy with the one way because they've honed it to perfection.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Maybe, I can't agree with them on that because I think it executes on its premise basically perfectly. It's a game about fraught battles full of parries and tiny windows of success.

Ultimately it's just subjective innit. People want three ways to take down bosses cos Souls, I am happy with the one way because they've honed it to perfection.

I would agree if I could beat this fucking
    Spoiler:
  • O Rin is pretty one note - parry constantly, jump her red kanji slash. It's a tedious fight.

The Monk is a bit more nuanced I think, the kanji attack she has where she thrusts is your main source of damage but she sometimes mixes it up with the sweep so be careful. Firecrackers give you a could window for damage if you need it. Don't be afraid to just sprint away if you need to block to cool your stamina.
  • Tempy wrote:
    O Rin is pretty one note - parry constantly, jump her red kanji slash. It's a tedious fight.

The Monk is a bit more nuanced I think, the kanji attack she has where she thrusts is your main source of damage but she sometimes mixes it up with the sweep so be careful. Firecrackers give you a could window for damage if you need it. Don't be afraid to just sprint away if you need to block to cool your stamina.

I'm so iv always struggled on her and assumed monk would be much more difficult but monk is easy really can't believe how long I actually struggled to beat him and now I have becouse he don't like ash in his eyes and firecrackers at his feet ....plus it party like a boss now.

Cheers temps I'm gonna go back for her, she kinda disappeared on the tiny bridge just behind her.
  • Speedhaak
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Speedhaak
    PSN
    Speedhaak
    Steam
    Speedhaak
    Wii
    3841-0078-1712

Send message
    It's a psychological exercise. If you put those aids in the game people will use them the first sign of frustration. The entire point of the From games is perseverance and dedication. I know this is a bold statement but I'd rather not finish the game (because I wasn't good enough) than be tempted by gameplay aids and feel dirty then for progressing with those enabled. It's like I always say with MMOs and stuff, if you don't have the time or inclination (guess this applies to games like Destiny too) to dedicated your time and energy to the game then the people that do shouldn't suffer because of it.

What do I mean by that?

Over the years MMOs and games like that have gotten progressively easier and require less and less time to be invested in characters and learning systems and mechanics so that the 'I don't have enough time' crowd get to experience end-game content. Effectively nullifying the point of the game.

Certain games are made for certain types of players. I think it's extremely unfair on those players to suffer due to people outside of the games intended demographic getting bent out of shape. I include -as said above- myself in this. If I ain't good enough or don't have enough time then the fault lies with me. Not the game or it's player base.

If that happens, it's time to soldier on or gtfo.
  • Right I just don't know how to defeat headless and have no devine confetti or means to get any, am I stuck now?
  • I agree that some games should be a challenge. I won't be buying Sekiro because I know I won't be able to cope with the parry system - I just about managed to learn it to beat Gwyn in Dark Souls, but it's not my idea of fun.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!