Slay the Spire: B&B GOTY 2018, 2020, 2021, and Forum Pariah 2019
  • Don't think it's on this doc either, which I thought would've been comprehensive - it has the one about strength down being negated by an artifact, but I just didn't figure out it'd apply elsewhere.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1z67hAwT2hTcoUOpQViuM8uno-NEiBC6wWWgmyztv8aM/edit#heading=h.x6ik1pmshfzm

(STS Hidden Mechanics)

Game just keeps on giving.
  • It's not really a hidden mechanic as the card itself explicitly states that it removes 2 strength at the end of the turn.
  • I guess hidden is just 'not immediately obvious', or not to me anyway!

In other news, cleared A19 with clad on a run that felt strong but not quite strong enough - into Act 3 with a Juggernaut+, a couple of Metallicize+'s and a couple of Feel No Pains, Corruption, Fiend Fire and strength buff from a Du Vu Doll and three curses. Was doing dmg from the Juggernaut and all the exhausts + block gain, but then right before the Act 3 boss I defeat the giant head and gives me dead branch and it just goes bananas as it does with Corruption, Feel No Pain and Branch. Walked Awakened One and reckon I could've gone all the way on A20 with this too. Probs won't get a run like that again for ages.

Will stick with clad and try to clear A20 then I can shift back to Silent and Defect.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Hundreds of hours into this game and I only just realised that Flex only removes the amount of strength it adds when applied, meaning you can use Limit Break after Flex to double the buff, then keep the extra that was added at end of turn. e.g. Flex adds 2str, Limit Break it to 4str, end of turn you go down to 2str. May be old news to some but I just assumed the Flex would remove all strength gained that turn for some reason.

Yeah, there's a whole bunch of cool flex interactions and it might well be my favourite strength card. 

Like, you can absolutely limit break it, even better upgraded. But if you have orange pellets and some card draw you can use the orange pellets to cancel the flex debuff. So now you don't lose strength at the end of the turn and it cost you 0 + the cost of an attack and power. Stick a limit break on that, maybe have 2 flexes and things get tasty.

Doing stuff like that on a deck with decent card draw outpaces pretty much any other strength gain card in the game, imo. Inflame is nice and not expensive, but it's a one and done - if i had dual wield and a mummified hand I might pick it over flex, otherwise probably not. Demon form is powerful, but you get zero benefit until the next turn and it's pricey. Flex though...flex is sexy and has a million interactions. Love it.

Best card draw + strength engine in the game (for me, in terms of FUN) is sth like a necronomicurse + runic cube + flexes + limit breaks + reaper for getting all that health back. It's utterly broken.
  • Just went and grabbed the Common Sense achievement on PC  for beating the game with no uncommon or rare cards. 

WSHp95E.jpg

And this was the Minimalist deck on PC that got me that sweet cheevo

f4qSEMT.jpg

And this was the Minimalist deck on Playstation

cHF74BD.jpg

Happy with these recent runs.

Last tricky achievement to get is now Speed Runner. Everything else I have on one platform or another.
  • Guardian in Downfall leans into the mechanics around debuff numbers heavily. Lots of temp buffs, and lots of cards that remove some of the debuffs. perma 30 damage thorns is quite a thing, I can tell you.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • And that's A20 done with ironclad. Another slightly unusual one that I didn't think'd go the way, but got a Nilry's Codex which kept chucking cards into my draw pile to counter a Corruption. Barricade and Bomb playing a big part too, ended up breezing past Donut and Deca, then tonking Time Eater with a couple of heafty Body Slam double taps.

Going to main Silent now for a bit I think but will return to clad for Heart runs at some point - he's my favourite of the three main characters.
  • nick_md wrote:
    And that's A20 done with ironclad.

Yes lad!
  • nick_md wrote:
    And that's A20 done with ironclad.
    Yes lad!

<3
  • Legend!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • If you are feeling a bit stuck then I'd recommend having a go at the daily climbs as they can produce effects that you haven't considered before.

Top work on A20 nick.
  • Just went and grabbed the Common Sense achievement on PC  for beating the game with no uncommon or rare cards.  WSHp95E.jpg And this was the Minimalist deck on PC that got me that sweet cheevo f4qSEMT.jpg And this was the Minimalist deck on Playstation cHF74BD.jpg Happy with these recent runs. Last tricky achievement to get is now Speed Runner. Everything else I have on one platform or another.

Nice. I do love a small deck.
    "Plus he wore shorts like a total cunt" - Bob
  • small/thinned deck + sundial is mad good for going infinite. get yourself to the position of having no cards in both draw and discard pile and then every additional card draw counts as a reshuffle. so scrape, for example, costs 1 to play and generates 2-4 energy each play, leaving you with it back in hand again.
  • Nice one Nick that's awesome going.
  • 6gq6FX1.jpg

And that's Common Sense grabbed for the 2nd time that day, this time on PlayStation.
  • Hard going on Silent, that Act 1 is way harder than Clad's.

Just cleared A11 losing to Heart, thought I had it because I nightmared a catalyst and got the poison up to ~2k but for some reason didn't think the dmg limit counted for debuffs like poison. Got killed.

Anyway, onto A12 silent. Seems much harder than clad.
  • I read about people who hold the record for A20H kills in a row for each character and it just baffles me, like I can't ever have the patience, foresight or skill to do that. Xecnar is the Silent guy with a mad number of A20H kills in a row, and his vids he actually explains stuff without whizzing through like Jorbs, but even randoms on Reddit, there was a guy who had 9x A20H kills in a row with defect with proof and I'm here happy to make act 3 and leaning too hard into 'archetype' builds. Madness.

But srs watch a xecnar silent vid man's crazy.
  • Up to AC17 with guardian in downfall. Easier than slime. Will end up high midtier in the ranking of my fav characters from df.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • I managed 2 a20 heart kills in a row once, and another time i got 2 out of 3. I don't think my brain is capable of the required level of probability juggling to ever be chaining together consecutive victories regularly. 

It's mad that all these years later, with no formal challenges left, that this is still my most played game on almost any given month. Madder still, it's probably the ugliest game i have ever thrown hours at too, not that i ever notice. 

I love this game so much that it warms me deeply to read of others enjoying it too.
  • I got one of my students into this and his projects definitely got worse since.
  • nick_md wrote:
    I read about people who hold the record for A20H kills in a row for each character and it just baffles me, like I can't ever have the patience, foresight or skill to do that. Xecnar is the Silent guy with a mad number of A20H kills in a row, and his vids he actually explains stuff without whizzing through like Jorbs, but even randoms on Reddit, there was a guy who had 9x A20H kills in a row with defect with proof and I'm here happy to make act 3 and leaning too hard into 'archetype' builds. Madness. But srs watch a xecnar silent vid man's crazy.

I really like Jorbs, and I've watched enough of him, and played enough of the game that 9 times out of 10 I can tell what his card picks / card removes / shop buys etc are gonna be. Doesn't mean I'm anywhere near as good as him - his turn card orders are insane and overall deck construction is just incredibly efficient. I don't mind his speed now, but it was deffo a lot at first.

If you're looking for another good teacher-style player that doesn't zip at lightspeed, or overexplain every pick for 4 hours, then I think Baalorlord is a great shout. Fantastic player, very friendly, and very into teaching why cards work / why he picks certain things. 

This year Baalor did a custom "mastery" challenge with a community made mod where over the course of the year he had to beat the game at A20 with 2 copied of every card in his deck. That means at some point he beat the game with 2 Meteor Strikes (not too bad), 2 perfected Strikes (sure), but also 2 pains...2 normalities...

For certain curses he'd intentionally have to try to get one, and then hope for a Dolly's Mirror in the shop he could duplicate it. And then he'd still have to go and win the run. It showed a real down to the foundations understanding of the game and forced him to work with the whole deck. Reckon if you were looking for inspiration on Silent, he'd also be a good pick.

And yes, Act 1 on Silent is ROUGH.
  • I watch a bunch of Baalorlord stuff aye, I find him just generally more likeable than Jorbs, who comes off as quite dour to me (which sometimes is what you're after admittedly). Plus Jorbs does seem quite petulant going by what I've read his salty views are on other top players. Can't fault his ability ofc but he just seems like he'd be a bit of a dick whereas Baalor is fun times everyone welcome gg guys. I tend to bounce around between the two tho for viewing.

Anyway, nowt to do today but shovel a fry up down me so going to try and make some ground climbing with silent.
  • The fry up was a good 8.5/10 and I just got another Heart kill on A12 with a slow but effective 2x After Image and Shivs, with a bit of poison to keep the dmg going. Oh and 2x wraith form they came in handy obvs.
  • Nice work. On the heart kill and the fry up.
  • Got the Speed Climber achievement for beating the game in less than 20 minutes, with a time on 19 minutes and 56 seconds...

Means there's only one more achievement to get, before the Spire has been well and truly Slayed.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!